Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
05 Acura TSX, want to make it nicer
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic is 45 minutes away I brought the car to Firestone and they couldn't tell me what the f*ck is wrong, I put two new tires on the front left the old ones on the back the two tires are different than the back two tires everything was fine and then a few weeks, I think it might have been, later I lost my traction control and everytime I turn the car on after 20 seconds of driving I lose my stability control and the requires maintenance light is also on, why is it doing this. Do I have to bite the bullet and pay $300 for the same tires to be on the back in order for it to go back to normal

Been like this since mid Jan.

·
Registered
324 Posts
What do you mean by different? Different brand? different compound? Different size? More complete info would be helpful.

You can see if the OBD2 port provides any codes. Look them up and see what they say. The more info you can provide, the better the help that we can give you. It's so hard to help you at this point but give us more info and hopefully we can give you more specific advice. Sorry to hear about your issues.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've heard that differences in tire sizes can cause this as well as wheel sensors being knocked out of alignment. I had a similar issue as yours after some suspension work and had to take it back to have the VSA reset. You can try a manual reset. There's a procedure floating around somewhere. A search for manual VSA reset should produce it. Give that a shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks guys, but yeah the tires that I put on the front, there a different brand and they're a different type of tire. So like my back's are all season and the front ones are also all season but more specified for shyty conditions, like wet roads and whatnot, so it like gives me more grip or something like that. The tires though are the exact same size, like I looked at the numbers on the front and I looked at the numbers on the back and they're the same size between the two. So like I would understand if the front ones were maybe like a half inch bigger or whatever that might throw it off but because they're the same sizes it's kind of making me question why it would be doing this. ALSO I did plug in an OBD2 thing to scan for any codes and I have no codes whatsoever, my check engine light is not on, it's only the stability control the "VSA" and my traction control which is the little triangle with an ! Inside of it, on top of the maintenance required light

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And of course Firestone was no help when I eventually went back to them and was like dude all of these lights are coming up can you check what's going on they basically told me that it could be my battery causing these problems and that because I have a light bar and 2 LED lights that apparently I'm drawing too much power from the battery so some functions of my car might not work oh, but of course their solution was to buy the better battery, $300 battery, and that might but not guaranteed will fix the problem LOL

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's been awhile but I recall a post somewhere where someone said that different tires between the front and back can cause excess or different spin and that can trigger the VSA light.

I had another VSA issue after an accident. Someone sideswiped my car when parked. I took it to an auto boday shop and they ran the battery down listening to my radio. That was enough to trigger the VSA and engine light. They clamed that my ABS module went bad while they worked on my car. It made no sense and they wanted $2000 to outsource the repair. I performed the manual VSA reset myself and that cleared it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2000 yea F that lol. But alright i need to bring it to my mechanic, which is annoying because of a 45-minute drive, cuz I need some other stuff done but I'll have them check it out. How do you reset it when I need an OBD2 reader.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Original post from craig.creationz:

"I have fixed the problem myself without Dealer Scanner!
First of all you need to clear abs errors (that is the main problem why i have failed earlier).

1) Make a shortcut between 4 pin and 9th
2) Press with your foot on the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS lamp to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS lamp to turn on and press with your foot on the brake pedal again.
5) ABS lamp should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS lamp. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors, not removing the shortcut - just turn the ignition on, if ABS lamp do not flashes, so no errors are in memory.

Now the main part.

VSA Neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Make a shortcut of 9th pin to chassis (i have used a bolt on a door hinge )
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS lamp turns off, shortly press the "VSA off" button
3) After ABS lamp turns on again, shortly press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lamps ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off. The problems solved.
5) Open the beer bottle!"

Pin 4 is the 4th pin counting from the top left. Pin 9 is the bottom right pin. Hope this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Original post from craig.creationz:

"I have fixed the problem myself without Dealer Scanner!
First of all you need to clear abs errors (that is the main problem why i have failed earlier).

1) Make a shortcut between 4 pin and 9th
2) Press with your foot on the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS lamp to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS lamp to turn on and press with your foot on the brake pedal again.
5) ABS lamp should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS lamp. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors, not removing the shortcut - just turn the ignition on, if ABS lamp do not flashes, so no errors are in memory.

Now the main part.

VSA Neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Make a shortcut of 9th pin to chassis (i have used a bolt on a door hinge )
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS lamp turns off, shortly press the "VSA off" button
3) After ABS lamp turns on again, shortly press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lamps ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off. The problems solved.
5) Open the beer bottle!"

Pin 4 is the 4th pin counting from the top left. Pin 9 is the bottom right pin. Hope this helps
When u say pin, what and where are those.??

·
Registered
6 Posts
When u say pin, what and where are those.??
Your OBD2 diagnostic port. Which is located on the driver left footwell right above the hood latch release pull handle. You will need a piece of wire to do this thats long enough to reach the door frame.

Hopefully these picture upload correctly. All you need to do is connect it properly and then follow the instructions line by line, starting with the ABS reset, then the VSA reset in order. When it comes time to ground it the the door mount, loosen the nut (in picture) just enough to fit the exposed wire under and then tighten it so it doesn't come loose while performing the reset. Its super easy, even though it sounds like a lot.

Edit. Use the pin out not the picture I posted of it. I thought I remembered the pin numbering but I checked and was wrong. Its been a while since I've had to do this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your OBD2 diagnostic port. Which is located on the driver left footwell right above the hood latch release pull handle. You will need a piece of wire to do this thats long enough to reach the door frame.

View attachment 48307

Hopefully these picture upload correctly. All you need to do is connect it properly and then follow the instructions line by line, starting with the ABS reset, then the VSA reset in order. When it comes time to ground it the the door mount, loosen the nut (in picture) just enough to fit the exposed wire under and then tighten it so it doesn't come loose while performing the reset. Its super easy, even though it sounds like a lot.

Edit. Use the pin out not the picture I posted of it. I thought I remembered the pin numbering but I checked and was wrong. Its been a while since I've had to do this.
So wire 4&9 to each other. Than run wire out of either one to the door.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
#4 and #9 jumped together are for the ABS reset. #9 pin and chassis ground (door henge in this case) are for the VSA reset. Those are two separate steps, that have to be done in order.

This whole process takes 30 secs at most. Read the original instructions I quoted from Craig.creationz. He broke it down into a step by step process. You got this

·
Registered
92 Posts
A suggestion that might help most on this forum. Invest in a good obd2 scanner. With the age of these cars, check engine lights are inevitable. Many times check engine and other lights are triggered by temporary events like low battery voltage and loose gas caps. Clearing codes can be as simple as a few taps on the scanner or an app on your phone.
I use, and highly recommend, the BlueDriver obd2 scanner. It connects to your phone via bluetooth and unlike cheaper scanners, it has its own dedicated app that works 100% of the time. At $99 on Amazon I resisted buying for years and relied on a buddy’s older wired basic scanner. It is a good medium between cheap scanners and entry level professional tools. Now that I have one I wish I had bought it sooner and saved the hassles. It can give live data as the car is running and can scan all the different modules in the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A suggestion that might help most on this forum. Invest in a good obd2 scanner. With the age of these cars, check engine lights are inevitable. Many times check engine and other lights are triggered by temporary events like low battery voltage and loose gas caps. Clearing codes can be as simple as a few taps on the scanner or an app on your phone.
I use, and highly recommend, the BlueDriver obd2 scanner. It connects to your phone via bluetooth and unlike cheaper scanners, it has its own dedicated app that works 100% of the time. At $99 on Amazon I resisted buying for years and relied on a buddy’s older wired basic scanner. It is a good medium between cheap scanners and entry level professional tools. Now that I have one I wish I had bought it sooner and saved the hassles. It can give live data as the car is running and can scan all the different modules in the car.
Thats a great idea in general, but normal handheld scanners will not diagnose or clear ABS, SRS and VSA systems. Which in this case is the problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thats a great idea in general, but normal handheld scanners will not diagnose or clear ABS, SRS and VSA systems. Which in this case is the problem.
The bluedriver cleared those codes on my ‘13 Accord two weeks ago after my battery died during a stereo installation. I got a christmas light show on my dashboard after I charged the battery. The Bluedriver can do an in depth scan of all the individual modules in the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The bluedriver cleared those codes on my ‘13 Accord two weeks ago after my battery died during a stereo installation. I got a christmas light show on my dashboard after I charged the battery. The Bluedriver can do an in depth scan of all the individual modules in the car.
I just read up on the bluedriver scanner and it does seem pretty neat. I have a very expensive Alltel (granted its 10 yrs old) that won't even do that in the TSX. If you changed your battery while the bluedriver was plugged in that may be why the lights all turned on. Anything plugged in the obd2 port while changing the battery can be sketchy. I might look into that as I'm currently sorting airbag codes due to swapping front seats from a salvaged ( not wrecked) TSX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to look into it right now because I have no ******* traction control I haven't had traction control for a couple months now because the mechanics can't figure out the exact

1 - 18 of 18 Posts