Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, no one can pin down as to why the a "perfectly" good K24, loses oil when you don't show any oil leaks ...

(if you have a solution then by all means post it up)

so what about oil stabalizer?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Probably just wear from poor maintenance at some point in its life (not specifically saying it was you).

Oil bypassing worn piston rings is perfectly normal with Honda's. It's more common from cars that had abnormally long oil change intervals. A compression test can confirm this. I believe the crap cam chain tensioners also contributed to some oil consumption.

How much is it burning?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe 1 quart every 3k miles. I've been talking with a few drag car builders granted my daily is no drag car; would it not burn blue or white if it got past the piston rings?

·
-
1,685 Posts
So, no one can pin down as to why the a "perfectly" good K24, loses oil when you don't show any oil leaks ...

(if you have a solution then by all means post it up)

so what about oil stabalizer?
The engine oil level going down with no leaks is not a mystery. It's going out the tailpipes.

You are likely not seeing any blue smoke out the tailpipes because the cat is capturing and burning off the oil.

How many miles on your TSX? Exactly how much oil is it using?

Keep a close eye on the engine oil level. Check every time you fill up with fuel.
There are tons of threads on here where the TSX owner let the engine oil level get low and it trashed the timing chain and tensioners.

As was mentioned, a compression test is a good 1st step. Easy to do on these engines.
Try running heavier viscosity oil in the summer.
I like heavier viscosity engine oils. 10W-40 is what we usually in the summer in our TSX.
I don't recommend any kind of additives/thickeners in the engine oil.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, she is 211.5 mile and purrs. a few hiccups being ironed out and yes we have/will visit thicker viscosity but are considering all alternatives; thicker oil not being able to reach, blah blah etc. this old timer recommended the Lucas oil stabilizer but I'm just not a fan of additional additives either hence this thread. naw ... we just aren't the type to neglect oil in any facet; old or new cars. these other threads seem to beat the bush so point taken. but its literally a 1/4 every three weeks and monitoring.

juuuust curious.

·
Registered
372 Posts
A "perfectly" good K24 is losing oil. Sounds contradictory. And the only detail you give is that it doesn't show any leaks. Where are you looking? Is this a serious question or a riddle?

Given the abundance of details here are some possibilities:
1. Maybe you are looking in the wrong places.
2. Maybe it is going elsewhere, like into your coolant.
3. Maybe someone is stealing it.
4. Maybe it is leaking out somewhere in your exhaust.
5. Maybe it is being converted to something you don't recognize (not white or blue).

As a chemist, combusted 'oil' can produce different colors depending how it's refined and whether it's synthetic. It may not be visible using "your eyeball." It can also be affected differently by different temperatures, how the exhaust system processes it, etc. And yes I have analyzed oil using a gas chromatograph. Seriously speaking, have you tried smelling your exhaust to see if it smells differently? Eyeball test is only one test, there are other 'better' tests.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A "perfectly" good K24 is losing oil. Sounds contradictory. And the only detail you give is that it doesn't show any leaks. Where are you looking? Is this a serious question or a riddle?

5. Maybe it is being converted to something you don't recognize (not white or blue).

As a chemist, combusted 'oil' can produce different colors depending how it's refined and whether it's synthetic. It may not be visible using "your eyeball." It can also be affected differently by different temperatures, how the exhaust system processes it, etc. And yes I have analyzed oil using a gas chromatograph. Seriously speaking, have you tried smelling your exhaust to see if it smells differently? Eyeball test is only one test, there are other 'better' t

As a chemist, combusted 'oil' can produce different colors depending how it's refined and whether it's synthetic. It may not be visible using "your eyeball." It can also be affected differently by different temperatures, how the exhaust system processes it, etc. And yes I have analyzed oil using a gas chromatograph. Seriously speaking, have you tried smelling your exhaust to see if it smells differently? Eyeball test is only one test, there are other 'better' tests.
Good - in this case - is not implying perfect. So, no I don't think that it is contradictory. As you have read in other reply's it can be considered normal but spare me the wheel of the engine not acting as "brand new" as this wasn't the case off of the lot; yes its an old engine. What you have read is what I have witnessed, under the car, over the car etc. No gaskets have failed - knock on wood - and this is to say that there is no oil in the coolant. As I have come to terms of it being "normal" I'm simply testing the waters for other things that I have not considered as stated above. So, sure, smelling is optional but not practical for me for granted I can recognize a few things by smelling I don't think I'll be able to pin point too much by smelling my exhaust. at least in the case of pin pointing burning oil for that smell is distinct and not the case here from at least what I can tell.

but to answer your question a littler more directly

1. Maybe you are looking in the wrong places - clearly, for I can't find it, hence this thread.
2. Maybe it is going elsewhere, like into your coolant - nope
3. Maybe someone is stealing it - are you stealing my oil?
4. Maybe it is leaking out somewhere in your exhaust - logic has told me this.
5. Maybe it is being converted to something you don't recognize (not white or blue) - again, hence this thread.

but thanks for the "insight" chemist.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a quart every oil change. I had a civic a while back that burned a quart every 600 miles (still does I guess but it's my brother's now lol). THAT's something you worry about

·
Registered
102 Posts
One quart every 3k miles is not bad for an engine with a lot of miles on it. It is being burned at a very low rate wether past the rings or through crank case ventilation. At one point Volkswagen was telling owners one quart per 1k was normal on their new cars. Do not add anything to the oil or use a different viscosity. The viscosity is critical to the functioning of the vtec system.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If it’s not leaking, it’s being burned little by little. PCV system naturally burns oil vapors but you likely wouldn’t see that on the stick. A malfunctioning PCV system (valve) however, can cause the engine to ingest more oil than normal.

Aged valve seals can easily contribute to some oil consumption. Especially in a higher mileage engine with tired valve guides.

Last and most common, especially on the 09-10, k24 is stuck piston rings. As time goes on and EPA requirements change, car companies have to find ways to make engines run cleaner and more efficiently. One of the common goals is reducing frictional losses ANYWHERE. This is why you saw 5w-20 become very common. Now 0w oils. ATF has become lower and lower viscosity. Low drag braking systems etc etc etc.

But in this case, and many modern engines actually, the piston rings have gotten thinner and more “wimpy”. Again, to reduce drag/frictional losses within the engine. Manufacturers actually have goals/specs for the torque required to turn an engine (by hand). These thinner, wimpy rings in combination with long oil change intervals (6, 7.5k, 8, 10k miles) is a recipe for disaster. Oil breaks down, cooks in the piston ring lands, and the rings stick.
My 04 got oil changes every 3-4k miles and I switched to Mobil 0w-40 every fall/winter and eventually stuck to that 85k-138k or so by the time I sold it. It would lose (burn) about 1/2 qt in that time. My ‘10 I change religiously at 5k with either Syn 5w-20 and 0w-20 and I see 0 loss.
One thing to pay attention to is the soot on your exhaust tips/finishers (if they’re stock). If they’re all dark with soot, you can confirm the engine is burning oil. Personal experience again- 04 id have to clean the finishers probably twice a summer. 10- ive cleaned them one-two times in 6 yrs of ownership.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts