Acura TSX Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm totally uncomfortable running 10,000 miles on any oil in any car. My dad has always been anal about changing the oil in his vehicles every 2,000 miles, and has had several over 200,000 miles on the original engine and tranny. One of which was a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis that got up to 285,000 before we got rid of it because the body and suspension were so rotted. Original engine and tranny were still great! We almost wanted to push it down to the end of the driveway and throw it in park and put a brick on the gas pedal just to see how much abuse the engine could handle :grinno:

Anyway, I always just use basic 5/30 or 10/30 in my cars every 2,000 miles with a new WIX filter, and I'm satisfied with that.

I would agree with the need for more oil changes on older cars than the new. Based on some of the classes I have taken with fluid power, synthetic oils will never break down like the old conventionals. Synthetic oil is great at suspending the dirt that is too small for the oil filter. So really it comes down to how well your oil filter is built and then how long you can go between changes. Now don't get me wrong your not hurting anything by changing oil as often as you do but possibly costing yourself a little extra money. I have taken this approach the past few years: Amsoil Full Synthetic. It says it is guaranteed for 25,000 mile oil changes. I believe this is for newer cars so I do a 15,000 mile oil change with it. The reason I am doing this with this company is that this is the only company that stats they have the oil filter to hold the dirt for that many miles and so it made sense to me. Below I will include my oil analysis after the 15,000 Mile Interval. It shows that the oil needs changed, but there are no metals in the oil either. My acura is at 153,000 miles and I get 34 MPG Highway with this oil. Its worth a look. They even sell oil a little cheaper for 3000 mile intervals and its still fully synthetic.

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts