Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Acura TSX 6MT. I bought the car 04/30/2013. As of about 05/04/2013 I started hearing a whining sound coming from the engine bay. As of today (05/07/2013) it got louder. Details below.

Day of purchase no sound to be heard. Test drive went great. Drove the hell out of it all the way up to red line. Decided to follow through with purchase.

05/04/2013 - Whining started, but only showed itself past 4500 RPM. Became suspect of belt tensioner. During investigation found that the tensioner was making a lot of movement during rpm load and accelerating.

05/05/2013 - Decided to take the drive belt off completely to find out where it's coming from. During a quick test drive found that the noise was still showing itself past 4500 RPM. I'm now telling myself that it's not belt driven. Okay. Well crap.

During online research found that this sound is commonly referred to as "Supercharger Whine" without the benefits of a supercharger. Oh joy. I found that unfortunately it's commonly associated with either the tensioner assembly going out or the differential going out inside the transmission.

Which brings me to today.

05/07/2013 - Today. Found that the noise is happening at lower and lower RPM's. Like, below 4500 RPM probably down to 2000 RPM. Also, felt like it was having a problem staying in 2nd. It may have been because I wasn't paying attention, but it felt like as soon as I stepped on the clutch out of 2nd, it popped out into neutral.. Not sure.

Also, seems like I have to press the clutch down to the floor 100% to keep the gears from having problems sliding in.

Anyone else have similar symptoms?

Going to see if the dealership will take care of it.. Not sure at this point.

Let me know. I can't find a definitive answer using search, thus my thread. :D

Thanks in advance,
-Jared

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the sound but haven't worried about it, been fine for almost 20,000 miles now. I changed my trans fluid right after I got it, maybe try that if you think it's the diff, mine does it just sitting at idle though, which kinda rules out the diff.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Post a video.
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/members/russrsxparts-31745.html this guy has cheap parts get what you need or from this one
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/tsx-c...-6spd-navi-black-interior-white-exterior.html this guy is near you might even be better he has good local pick up prices. new jersey area you in ny
**start Easy. New belt. then tensioner or same time. Change Tranny fluid with Honda fluid (nothing is better imo) make sure you have enough brake fluid in the clutch reservoir if not top it off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update : I took it back to the dealer I bought it from for inspection. They are claiming that it is fine and not to worry. So that's what we will do for now. The same day I swung by my local Acura dealership, (Hendrick's Acura in Lenexa, KS = Bad ass dealership!) they did a full inspection on the car while doing some recall work. The dealership is saying the left AKA driver's side CV Shaft or Axle Shaft seal is leaking and needs to be replaced. So I'll probably do that and top off.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted. Just not sure where to get that seal. I can't find it through my work... (O'Reilly Auto Parts)

I will also get a video uploaded once I receive a windshield mount for my phone. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts