Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A federal judge in New Jersey has approved a nationwide class-action settlement for the current and former owners and lessees of more than 1 million Honda and Acura cars that allegedly suffered from broken air conditioning systems that manufacturers refused to fix under warranty, according to a lawyer representing the class of plaintiffs and court documents.

The federal lawsuit was brought in 2008, plaintiffs’ lawyer Matthew Mendelsohn said yesterday, and its settlement — which Mendelsohn said is valued at more than $40 million — was approved last month by U.S. District Judge Katherine S. Hayden in Newark.

According to Mendelsohn, the class represented in the suit included more than 2.4 million current and former owners and lessees. Thus far, he added, about 19,000 of them have made claims under the suit’s settlement, although he also expects many more to make claims in the future.

"I think the result we were able to achieve in this case was very good," he also said, while noting that it is rare for a lawsuit of this kind to be brought nationwide, rather than in an individual state.

The lawsuit was filed in Newark by Mendelsohn’s firm, Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman, because the lead plaintiff, Jon Alin, lives in Montville.

Mendelsohn said the settlement, which comes after more than 3 years in court, provides tens of millions of dollars in reimbursements and vehicle modifications to be paid for by Honda and Acura, more than $2.5 million in fees and expenses awarded by Judge Hayden to the attorneys representing the settlement class, and approximately $2 million in administrative expenses to be paid by Honda and Acura.

Still, he said, 2 class members have filed objections to the settlement, and that payouts under the settlement are stayed pending resolution of those appeals.

According to Mendelsohn, the cars named in the lawsuit were the 2005 to 2007 Honda Odyssey, the 2002 to 2004 Honda CR-V, and the 2004 Acura TSX.

"The problem with the cars was the air conditioning systems was failing prematurely, and in some cases was resulting in catastrophic failures," Mendlesohn said. "For instance, on the Honda CR-V, the air conditioning compressor would implode and shoot debris throughout the entire air conditioning system, so that it would require replacement of associated air conditioning parts, not just the failed part itself."

A call made yesterday afternoon to 1 of the lead defense lawyers for Honda was not returned.

·
Triple Rollover Survivor
156 Posts
I really hope they issue a recall or SOMETHING that takes care of the 2004 TSX. It's a job I don't want to pay for and can't make a guaranteed diagnosis of and I would love if they just fixed it like they should have all along.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G XE with Beats Audio using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
2004 TSX & 2007 R1
148 Posts
WOW finally! It seems that my a/c unit is acting funny and is affect my entire car so if anything I hope we can get a free check up to spot the problem at least!

·
2004 TSX & 2007 R1
148 Posts
im hoping im just tripping about the a/c im starting replace a bunch of parts on the car so hopefully that "cures" the issue. im having the VSA/ABS/triangle/check engine light issue... sadly so hopefully the a/c is not the prob

·
Registered
312 Posts
This is good news, I hope to see something as I own a 2004 TSX and am pretty nervous every time I run my A/C lol

Hoping this will apply to Canadian models as well lol

Updates here regarding this would be great to see!

·
o000WEee TSX
98 Posts
i dont wanna jinx my car, but every now and then when i turn my a/c on it acts weird but still blows snowmans ... but hopefully i wont have any issues..

hope this lawsuit goes in play so we can finally have the a/c issues fixed...

·
DC2 to CL9
85 Posts
After searching on the 'net I found this website:

Honda Air Conditioning/Compressor Class Action Lawsuit Settlement

Not sure how credible and reliable this webpage is, but here is the info copied/pasted:

Website of the Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Administrator (FILE YOUR CLAIM HERE): www.AlinLitigation.com

Address to submit a claim form (REQUIRED):

To receive benefits under the Honda air conditioning/compressor class action settlement, you must submit a claim form and proof of repair and cost to the following address:

Alin Litigation Settlement Administrator
P.O. Box 2597
Faribault, MN 55021-9597

All claim forms and supporting materials must be postmarked by 90 days from the Effective Date of the class action lawsuit settlement. The earliest this date would be is July 24, 2012. Keep checking the Settlement Administrator Website (www.AlinLitigation.com) for updates on the final claim cutoff date.

Phone Number to call for assistance: (877) 389-4472

Details: The Honda air conditioning settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit, entitled Alin v. American Honda Motor Company, Inc., that alleges certain Honda Odyssey, Honda CR-V and Acura TSX vehicles contain problems with the air conditioning condensers or compressors. The lawsuit alleges that the Odyssey is unduly prone to damage to the condenser from road debris, and that the CR-V and TSX suffer excessive failures of compressors.

Honda denies these allegations, but has agreed to a nearly $40 million class action lawsuit settlement to resolve the litigation.

Class Members of the Honda air condenser/compressor class action settlement include all persons who purchased or leased (including initial and subsequent owners and lessees) a 2005-2007 Honda Odyssey, 2002-2004 Honda CR-V, or 2004 Acura TSX.

As a Class Member, you can receive one of the following benefits from the Honda air conditioning class action lawsuit settlement:

<irrelevant info snipped>

TSX Sub-Class: TSX Settlement Members may receive reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses incurred within 8 years/96,000 miles from the date of purchase for "Compressor Damage," which is defined as damage to the compressor and associated air conditioning system parts as a result of the failure of the internal components of the compressor and/or the compressor clutch.

Reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses will be based on the following scale:

1) Year 4/50,000 miles: 100% reimbursement
2) Year 5/60,000 miles: 60% reimbursement
3) Year 6/72,000 miles: 30% reimbursement
4) Year 7/72,000 miles: 15% reimbursement
5) Year 8/96,000 miles: 15% reimbursement

How to make a claim under the class action lawsuit settlement:

To receive any of these settlement benefits, you must file a claim form and submit any supporting documents showing proof of repair and cost to the Alin Litigation Settlement Administrator postmarked 90 days from the Effective Date. The Effective Date has not been announced yet, but the earliest the claim deadline would be is July 24, 2012.

Claim forms and more information on your rights in the Honda Air Conditioning/Compressor Class Action Lawsuit Settlement can be found at www.AlinLitigation.com.

Purchased or Leased From:

Honda Odyssey: 2005-2007

Honda CR-V: 2002-2004

Acura TSX: 2004

Claims must be postmarked by: (estimated) 7/24/12

Settlement Administrator(s): Rust Consulting, Inc.

<more info snipped>

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
there's still probably no chance Acura will have a recall
It would be cheaper for them just to settle. According to the settlement, they only do partial reimbursements depending on mileage. Most TSXs probably won't be in the 100% reimbursement category, so they save money (as opposed to paying for new a/c posts for all outstanding TSXs).

Anyway, recalls are safety-related only. If your a/c dies, your life won't be at risk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts