Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new rack & pinion, since mine has been leaking pretty badly. Took it to the shop that supposedly handles stuff the other guys won't. They told me the underbody is too rusty to take apart, there are just too many bolts that are rusted over on the exhaust, subframe, tie rods, bushings, etc. They said that pretty much any work done on the underbody/suspension will be too risky, and probably end up costing a lot more than would be worth it.

Otherwise, the car is in pretty good condition. 162,000 miles. Uses some oil. Very little rust on the body (From MI, but I'm in CA now, so the rust has stopped).

So, do I just junk the car? Is it worth anything to anyone? What should I do?

Attachments

·
-
1,597 Posts
Find a real autoshop with real mechanics.

·
Registered
893 Posts
HAHA you call that too rusty? That's a treat compared to most cars in the midwest/rust belt

EDIT: The fact that a "mechanic" turned that car away says alot about the caliber of that mechanic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did "grow up" in Michigan for it's first ten years, but I thought this was about normal given those conditions...

So, you guys think this should be do-able, maybe with a little extra labor cost?

He said it's likely the control arm bolts will be stuck in their bushings and the control arm may need to get replaced...

·
150 Posts
Find a competent shop. These guys only want to do simple, easy, stuff that they can turn around quickly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
an oxy acetylene torch and some patience works pretty good against almost all rusted bolts. Like everyone else said, ditch the mechanic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'04 TSX around 130k had in NYC area from '06 to '18 where it faced winters and accumulated it's share of rust on the underbody. That said I did what I could to get the underbody washed after salt exposure in winter to limit corrosion. Have since moved to SF Bay area and had nearly the entire AC system replaced compressor, evap, condensor, expansion valve. Had them throw in an engine bay wash and detail to try and get any residual salt out.

With limited salt exposure now in CA, have been hitting any rusty parts I can get at with Krud Kutter and Vinegar to see if it will disolve and reverse the rust to cleaner metal. There's a DIY place in San Jose where you can rent lifts, after Covid settles down, looking to get the underside steam cleaned then head to the garage to get under there to try and try to disolve and scrub off the rust. Then depending on the parts planning to apply rust converter paint, wax protectant and / or penetrating oils like WD-40. Optimistic if I can turn around the rust, can get another 100k miles relatively economically.

Your steering column has got to be repairable but need to find the most economical mechanic or way to do it. Not sure what part of CA you're in but curious where you've quoted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts