Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an immaculate 2004 TSX 6-spd. with 49,500 miles. That is the good news. Bad news is that it has not been driven in 8 years. (Garage kept in Illinois) I would love a comprehensive summary of every part, service, fluid, etc. that would get this lovely vehicle back on the road. Any estimation of cost would be extremely welcome. I would be looking to do this (hopefully) on a budget of $3000 or so. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Things I'd start with if the car has really been sitting that long:

Oil change + filter
Trans fluid change
Flush brake fluid
Flush coolant
Power steering fluid should be fine but check the level to make sure it isn't low
Air filter
Cabin Filter
If the gas was sitting with no stabilizer it'd be better to siphon the old gas out. If you can't do that just idle it out.

As far as servicing beyond that - if it only has 50k miles it shouldn't be too rough but some problem parts for these cars include: shaking axles, warped rotors (front), leaky steering rack, leaky PS pump, A/C compressor issues, torn compliance bushings, cracked clutch pedal, clutch engagement issues, and torn motor mounts.

If those items all check out then I'd say you have a really solid car.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Additions:

PSF if it is brown at all. If it is amber should be ok.

If not siphoning the gas, and there is very little gas in it (hopefully) I'd recommend adding some fresh gas to help with clearing the bad gas out. If possible get a higher octane ethanol free fuel. Ethanol binds with water.... And if there is any water present after all this time the volume of "water" will increase if ethanol is present. A fuel system cleaner like seafoam or similar may also be worthwhile (hopefully one that doesn't have water soluble compounds in it).

Tires! Do not drive on those old tires, even if they still look good they most likely are a real danger, especially if the car wasn't on jacks or moved around much if at all during it's hibernation. Would be much safer to buy a cheap used set of tires for the restoration phase. Then when all is well buy the tires you want.

Be extremely thruough with the brake fluid flush.

All rubber mounts and bushings are suspect after sitting this long. Maybe they're OK, but would keep a close eye.

Condition the leather, assuming it hasn't been done for years. I really like Lexol's leather products.

Incredible an 04 exists with that low of mileage. I hope it works out well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the info! Especially fuel/tires/symptomatic problems. Maybe it is in fact possible. I'd think every belt and hose suspect as well? Brakes/calipers? The goal would be a 1,000 mile drive to Florida, so I probably should be thorough! Ha ha.

·
J-Spec
384 Posts
The biggest problem is the fuel. After sitting that long, it is now varnish. You should add a little
racing fuel and find some additive for old fuel. Common problem with motorcycles that have
sat a while. I would think TSXXXX can recommend something.

If your car is black and never been in an accident, then I'll buy it. I'm very serious, so PM me a
price. Maybe you don't want to sell, but then again, everybody has a price. Just let me know
what that is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts