Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a small drip of coolant from my car Sunday in a parkinglot, that afternoon, I was able to take it for a short drive with the AC on and couldn't see where it was dripping from, I then layed on the gas for a bit and watched the coolant resevoir lower (presumably as it was being cycled through to do it's job) and then I let off the gas. the resovoir flooded suddenly with VERY HOT coolant that bubbled up out of the top.

I've been told that my radiator may not be working, I might have to replace my headgasket, there could be air in my coolant system... Does anyone have experience with this? If so, what solved the issue?

Thank You!
Julia

·
Registered
2008 auto TSX CGP
555 Posts
Is your car overheating? Or is it just overflowing coolant at the reservoir? Overflowing at the reservoir could just be a failing thermostat. If you had a bad head gasket you would see coolant in your motor oil (sludge).

From the information given it doesn't sound like you have a leak since the coolant drip could be from the reservoir. So you probably have an issue within your cooling system. More detailed information is needed to give you a better answer. I would suggest taking it to a mechanic so tat he/she could better assess it and therefore give you a better answer otherwise you're going to be getting all kinds of suggestions that may not be addressing the real problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Don't drive the car until you get this resolved. That could turn a cheap cooling problem into an expensive engine problem. You can swarm it up for testing.

You can buy a tester which will tell you if there are exhaust gases in the coolant. If yes, then you need a new head gasket (or worse). Example: 75500 Combustion Leak Detector

If no exhaust gas then it's probably the thermostat. The radiator should not fail by clogging, normamly the failure mode is a leak (assuming you're using the correct Honda coolant and nobody put anything like stop leak in there).

It could also possibly be air bubbles in the cooling system, so you'd want to bleed it properly. Although if it was running fine before there shouldn't be any way for air to get in unless there was a leak somewhere.

As litespeed said, the ideal way to troubleshoot this would be to use the (very excellent) OEM shop manual. If you have no exhaust gases in the coolant, and just want to play the odds you could replace the thermostat and the coolant, check all the hoses, and bleed it properly. You can probably find how-to's on youtube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your car is probably overheating. It happened to mine a few times, and there was a problem within the engine that was interfering with electrics, and blowing a fuse I can’t remember which one. I had to keep replacing the fuse when it blew until I believe I replaced the fan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts