Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have not found this topic posted anywhere, so I apologize if it is a repeat.

I have a 2004 TSX. About 2.5 years ago all the gauges except the fuel gauge quit working (so the temp, tach, and speed all read 0), and the brake, VSA, ABS, and exclamation point lights all turn on, and the cruise control stops working. This problem lasted for about a week then went away by itself and the gauges worked fine until a couple months ago when the same thing happened. I took it to the dealer for a diagnoses, and was told after paying an $80 fee, that the gauge cluster has an internal short and would need to be replaced. They said they would order in a part from a salvage yard (which they never did do) and that labor would be about $150 to install.

On the way home the gauges miraculously started working and worked fine until a week ago when the same issue started again and there seems to be no self-fixing this time. I should mention that the gauges will randomly work for a few seconds if I hit a hard bump, then go back to zero.

So I ordered in a part from a salvage yard (exactly as the dealer was going to do, and never did) and put it in myself, because paying someone $150 to remove exactly three screws and 2 plugs is ludicrous. I installed the new cluster, and the exact same problem is still there. The dealer will not stand behind their diagnoses and since I did not have them install the part, it will cost me another $80 diagnoses fee if they test it and find the same problem.

So after my long-winded explanation. Has anyone had a similar problem with their gauges and what was the fix? I assume the problem is pretty rare if I can't find a thread anywhere about it. And I find it very hard to believe that I would have that bad of luck to purchase a replacement part that has the same exact short circuit.

Thanks everyone,
Tim

·
Registered
241 Posts
Look at it from the technicians point of view, he diagnosed it, you put a used part in it and the problem persists, if you want another diagnosis you have to pay... However I recommend pulling up the wiring diagram and checking your wires as well as your grounds...

·
Registered
198 Posts
If the 2nd cluster also has those problems than it probably isn't the cluster.

You are going to do what Nick suggested and follow all the wires to check for shorts and such.

A multimeter will be very handy here if you know what wires need for volts/amps. Far more effective than a simple visual inspection.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The cluster gets its information from the ECU so a failed/failing ECU is a possibility. And if I recall, the 04's had a safety recall for corrosion building inside the ECU (especially in regions where road salt is used heavily) due to damp feet in the winter and other sources of condensation.

If you can get a hold of factory service information, checking body grounds for corrosion would be the first step I would take. The main ground is at the LF radiator support- just follow the (-) cable from the batt. For the dash components, a lot of times the grounds are located behind the kick panels on either side of the car or anywhere along the A-pillar below the top of the dashboard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts