Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2004 acura tsx with 76,221 miles on it. It is a manual transmission car. The car had NY inspection stickers on it and I purchased the car in northeast philadelphia. The car was purchased at a privately owned dealership. Part of the terms of purchase was that the car passed inspection. They bought it to their friends next door to them in the parking lot to inspect. It passed inspection and I picked the car up.

I have been driving MT for about 8 years now, and consider myself a good driver (of course). I think the clutch was slipping a little bit when I test drove the car. I didnt know that it was actually slipping because I described it to my father after it broke. I thought that it was a feature of the newer car because I havent driven anything except an integra '94. The owner of the dealer said that he never noticed it and the inspection shop took the car on the road and never said anything. I wasnt going to buy the car if they found anything wrong with it.

I did purchase a 3 month / 4,000 mile warranty for 100 bucks. This warranty specifically states that it doesnt cover a manual clutch and related components. The warranty is from C.A.R.S. protection plus in Murraysville pa. Here is the exact warranty: Power Train - C.A.R.S. Protection Plus | Call (888) 335-6838 today!

I purchased the car late wednesday night and on saturday morning I was trying to merge onto the highway and the rpm's just went up and the car never accelerated. When I pulled off to the side I could sit with the car in gear and no foot on the clutch and it wasnt stalling. The car wouldnt move anywhere. I had it towed back to the dealer who said that it was a burned out clutch.

He told me today that the clutch isnt covered under warranty and it would be $1100 parts and labor to repair. I asked him if anything else needed to be done and he said no, just replace clutch.

I called another shop who I've taken my integra too before and they quoted me $1700 parts and labor. He said if I were to buy another clutch online just labor would be $1000. This is includes resurfacing the flywheel, which he says you should do when replacing the clutch.

I'm waiting to hear back from 2 other shops and am just really bummed out. Especially with the service I've received from the dealer. I had the car about 2 days before the clutch completely burned out and it passed inspection.. something just seems a little fishy to me.

I drove the car to and from work 2 days which is about 100 miles total.. then halfway to my parents house and the thing went out on me.

I am out $11000 and a car, and am back to driving my sisters car around which bothers me because I don't like using her car so much.. I know I would be mad if she did that to me. Just really short on money and patients at the moment.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to gain leverage in my situation.. I am not aware of the current PA Lemon Laws but I can't see how a clutch can go from perfectly fine to totally burned out in about 2 days after passing inspection.

What would you guys do in my situation.. if there is nothing I can do than can you guys recommend a clutch to go with? I am unsure of purchasing another OEM clutch because this one lasted max 76K (dunno if it was ever replaced prior), and I know this is a common problem with TSX's and TL's.

I greatly appreciate anyone who is willing to help out and leave a comment, Thank You.

·
Registered
859 Posts
They ripped you twice bro , once with burned clutch and then with a so called warranty. I guess they tweaked clutch a lil so it lived for few days and then died completely. Monkey business (( If i were you id wait for a night and throw a nice big brick into their shiny stealership window.

Id buy exedy st1 clutch and do replacement with my friends . Its rather nice and cheap one but you need an rsx flywheel.

Next time you buy a used car just drive it like you stole it, rev hard b4 depressing pedal to check if the clutch is beefy enough.. And remember that clutch wont last forever, usually not longer than 50-60k. Yours had 76 and you dont know who and how drove that car, so rather predictable situation..

Good luck in solving this .

PS

Dont expect that stealer will say - hey son, this car has almost dead clutch, we are waiting for you to spent a grand here soon . They always smile and play dumb , thats business and you need to be smarter and rip em b4 they rip you )

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
I had this issue with a dealer car before I got mine, it was a navi black on black 6MT (Super rare around here). I wanted it SO bad but the clutch was shot and the bumpers were wrecked. They wanted WAY too much for it so I walked and bought a different car with much less miles, they called me weeks later saying the replaced the clutch and repainted the bumpers...

Your most likely going to end up paying, its possible the lemon law *could* be in affect here but dont quote me.

As said above the exedy stage 1 is a very good replacement. Honda specs our clutch job at 9 hours so its not really cheap :/ GL man!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Replacing the clutch is much more involved in the TSX from what I've read that's why they charge so much for labor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They ripped you twice bro , once with burned clutch and then with a so called warranty. I guess they tweaked clutch a lil so it lived for few days and then died completely. Monkey business (( If i were you id wait for a night and throw a nice big brick into their shiny stealership window.

Id buy exedy st1 clutch and do replacement with my friends . Its rather nice and cheap one but you need an rsx flywheel.

Next time you buy a used car just drive it like you stole it, rev hard b4 depressing pedal to check if the clutch is beefy enough.. And remember that clutch wont last forever, usually not longer than 50-60k. Yours had 76 and you dont know who and how drove that car, so rather predictable situation..

Good luck in solving this .

PS

Dont expect that stealer will say - hey son, this car has almost dead clutch, we are waiting for you to spent a grand here soon . They always smile and play dumb , thats business and you need to be smarter and rip em b4 they rip you )
I had this issue with a dealer car before I got mine, it was a navi black on black 6MT (Super rare around here). I wanted it SO bad but the clutch was shot and the bumpers were wrecked. They wanted WAY too much for it so I walked and bought a different car with much less miles, they called me weeks later saying the replaced the clutch and repainted the bumpers...

Your most likely going to end up paying, its possible the lemon law *could* be in affect here but dont quote me.

As said above the exedy stage 1 is a very good replacement. Honda specs our clutch job at 9 hours so its not really cheap :/ GL man!
Replacing the clutch is much more involved in the TSX from what I've read that's why they charge so much for labor.
Just got a quote from a place in willow grove called Meenan for $1150. For $50 more I may just have it towed over there because I dont really trust the dealer to touch my car again. The price from Meenan included parts and labor and a new flywheel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same problem on my 04 but mine had bad countershaft bearings. Could hear them when I bought it, sounded like loud valves so no one noticed.(Friends and father) You know they traded it in to the dealer right when they started to hear the bearings.

I am about to be out another 1200 but am getting a Exedy replacement installed with it, even though it is still very tight.

All said i got it cheap and in good condition and will have basically a brand new tranny for under 9k total (and mine is still drivable)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have no idea. I haven't been there yet.

"It is called Y&G Auto Service and is located in a nice sized garage right off of State Road and Ashburner. (Right by the Ashburner Pub for those who know the area)"

·
Registered
298 Posts
Find a local member with experience and see if they can do it for a fair price. I've done a tsx and ep3 in one day, both on jack stands. If you were local, I'd help you out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts