Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently experienced what a lot of other 2004 TSX owners on this forum have experienced in which my piston rings failed, causing oil to burn at an extraordinary rate. After about 4k miles between oil changes, and only 80k miles total on the engine, my engine seized up and I needed to replace my engine. I complained to Acura USA, that this shouldn't have happened given the mileage on my vehicle (80K) and maintenance records (everything done at Acura dealership). They offered to pay for 25% of the repair cost for a brand new engine. Clearly this has been a problem with other 2004 TSX owners and Acura USA has accepted some blame in that they're offering me some repair assistance. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of a class action lawsuit for this issue. The Acura maintenance shop assured me that the new engine I will be receiving will not have the same issue as the 2004 engine in my TSX.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of this causing complete engine failure. It's normal for older engines to burn a little oil..

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of this causing complete engine failure. It's normal for older engines to burn a little oil..
It probably siezed due to lack of oil, or otherwise LOW oil due to not checking the level before its last drive. If it has adequate oil, it should NOT seize on the sole factor of bad rings....

·
Registered
3 Posts
same problem

I have an 04 and I have the same problem with oil consumption. I change my oil only using Mobile1 5w30 with a mobile1 filter. I have no leaks at all what so ever nor is there any signs of any oil around and under my engine. My car does not smoke, it starts and drives fine. Engine is quiet. I check my oil every week and I am constantly scratching my head at how I can be losing so much oil. about almost 1 quart every 1000 miles. It is ridiculous. Mileage is 125k but has been doing this since 75k. I am going to have the engine rebuilt sometime this year and am wondering if that'll fix this crazy issue!

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
FWIW, I had Acura rebuild my engine (incl. new piston rings, valve seals, etc...). The oil burning did NOT stop. *scratches head*.

The only thing that finally worked was replacing the shortblock (block, pistons, crank, etc... re-using the existing head assembly). Since then I've put on over 120,000km and have burned basically no oil.

FYI, I was burning 1L/1000km (1 qt / 600miles).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ultimately it is your responsibility to monitor oil level. The engine seized because you did not check its oil level, all the while knowing you had an oil consumption issue. Not trying to be rude, but that equals out to simple neglect on your part. That being the case, I can understand their refusal to replace the engine free of charge.

Either way, best of luck with the repairs and oil issue. Hopefully you don't encounter any issues in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
burning that amount of oil is unheard of and should not happen. I have owned several acura's and honda's and have never had any oil loss issues. I have driven integras without checking my oil for a whole year and its still fine. I have to check my tsx every week which is telling me that the k24 is unreliable. I contacted acura in the past and got BS excuses.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
burning that amount of oil is unheard of and should not happen. I have owned several acura's and honda's and have never had any oil loss issues. I have driven integras without checking my oil for a whole year and its still fine. I have to check my tsx every week which is telling me that the k24 is unreliable. I contacted acura in the past and got BS excuses.
You havent owned that many cars then....

This isnt just a honda thing, this happens alot with many other manufactures. When you mass produce such large quantities of parts there are tolerance issues.

Just because you use oil doesnt mean the engine is unreliable, there is a big difference between using and burning oil. Burning oil is usually caused by a bad piston ring, which generally leads to engine failure. This is not the typical issue we have in the TSX. Typically we use oil, which generally means your valve seals are worn or cracking which is causing a small amount of oil to leak pass them.

The reason why I say this is because most guys including my self dont actually see blue smoke when we start the car. The Ks are one of the most reliable and powerful motor honda has made, the only other motor I would say that is better are the singles, those things are indestructible.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The 04 has had this problem since new, Acura was replacing shortblocks under warranty.
look for the TSB, something was wrong with the manufacturing process when they were building the early blocks. This is a design flaw that has been addressed and yes I think Acura should extend the warranty just like Honda extended the warranty on the civic blocks that crack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd love to hear an update from AG92 and Curls..

My 05 TSX has been consuming oil starting at 78K.. it was around 1 L/ 1K miles..
but it has increased to 1L / 500 miles.
I use full synthetic Mobile-1 at engine recommended grade.

I'm at 107K miles and had Acura Dealer check it out replaced head gaskets, seals, checked oil pan, no leaks, so it's something inside the engine.

Diagnostic starts at $2K and I'd had to do O rings at $3.5 and learn it needs something else.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i run 10w30 and my MT6 CL-9 runs pretty good @ 107k. yeah the oil cap recommends 5w30 but thats when the engine is new and very low miles.

Also i use to have an 97 RL 3.5 and it as well recommended the same grade (5w30) but i ran 10w40 and it was able to hit 300k with original motor and tranny.

The thicker the oil the longer it will take to burn out.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
I'd love to hear an update from AG92 and Curls..

My 05 TSX has been consuming oil starting at 78K.. it was around 1 L/ 1K miles..
but it has increased to 1L / 500 miles.
I use full synthetic Mobile-1 at engine recommended grade.

I'm at 107K miles and had Acura Dealer check it out replaced head gaskets, seals, checked oil pan, no leaks, so it's something inside the engine.

Diagnostic starts at $2K and I'd had to do O rings at $3.5 and learn it needs something else.
Not sure what to say aside from my warranty-replaced shortblock is purring like a kitten and burns next to nothing since replaced a long, long time ago.

Out of curiousity, what are the last 4 or 5 digits of your VIN? I have a theory that VERY low VIN #'s (like in the 00000 - 00500 range) are susceptible to this before Honda/Acura caught the problem and fixed it. For reference, my VIN ends in 00032 but it's Canadian so it could have been 00100 overall off the (same) line... who knows.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I m burning 1 qt of oil every 800-1000k. I just hit 130k. I'm gonna change my valve seals first since that seem to be the cheapest route. Weird thing is car runs like a camp. But when I crack vtec it smokes like a mofo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Curls, glad to hear after the short block replacement, it's been good.

Yea, it's a good chance it's the same on mine. The dealer recommended replacing piston seals or the short block, but the cost for that is close to the cost of a refurbished engine. Seemed like he was saying what if they do that and it still isn't running.. maybe just get the refurbished engine. But I'm at a loss why they can't diagnose what is going on. I know the TSX is a fairly sophisticated lady, but still my friend's Ford's F250 needed new piston seals at 100,000 and they could tell pretty quick and cost under $400.

Frustrated Acura's diagnostics are so poor for this, that they aren't even going to be sure after a 1.5 diagnostic.

·
Registered
228 Posts
One thing that can prevent this problem is to make sure your oil (not water) is up to temp before you race the engine. Racing a cold engine wears the oil control rings. I have also always used a thicker oil in my TSX. Right now I am running the Castrol Edge 0W-40WT I have over 110K and do not need any make up oil between changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone tried 4cylinder restore. Im going to try and look and hopefully there is a leak, but today I discovered my engone was 2 quarts low after about 2-300 miles. And I dont really wanna rip the block apart and do some replacing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you get this done? Any updates?

Has anyone tried 4cylinder restore. Im going to try and look and hopefully there is a leak, but today I discovered my engone was 2 quarts low after about 2-300 miles. And I dont really wanna rip the block apart and do some replacing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts