Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - strange issue that I hope someone can help me troubleshoot (without taking it in for service to pay an arm and a leg).

I don't drive my 2004 TSX very often and the last time I attempted to start it, the battery was almost totally dead and wouldn't even start with a jump. When I attempted to jump it, the rear passenger window went down on its own. I honestly don't know how or why that happened but it did.

Anyway, I replaced the battery with a new one and everything seemed to be fine, except the rear passenger window did not go up - not from the driver main control or the control on door itself. I can hear a click when I use the window switch but it doesn't budge at all.

I ordered a brand new window regulator motor thinking that was the culprit. I just replaced it with the new part and have the same result - it does not budge. Strangely, the motor gets very hot when I'm trying to get it to work (the old one and the new one). I have everything plugged in but I am leaving the regulator hanging outside of the open door panel for testing, and can hear the electrical current click when pressing the control and the motor gets hot very quickly.

I've tried all of the fuses (moving the four power window fuses around) and they are all fine. I've also tried removing the controller from the door with the bad power window and just use the driver controller, tried removing the driver controller and just use the controller from the door with the bad power window. I've also tried resetting the windows.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully the details show what I have already tried to do and someone has an idea of what else to try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is the glass still in the guide and not stuck or anything lodged in its path? Does it move at all even momentarily when you activate the switch? Do all the other windows operate normally? Is there any moisture in the door or behind the panel when you removed the the motor assembly? (You said it sits for long periods). Other than that I'm stumped. If you're getting power to the motor and when you activate the switch you can hear it clicking. Long shot, but maybe bad off the shelf part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the glass still in the guide and not stuck or anything lodged in its path? Does it move at all even momentarily when you activate the switch? Do all the other windows operate normally? Is there any moisture in the door or behind the panel when you removed the the motor assembly? (You said it sits for long periods). Other than that I'm stumped. If you're getting power to the motor and when you activate the switch you can hear it clicking. Long shot, but maybe bad off the shelf part.
There are two bolts that hold the window to the regulator and I removed them and pulled the window up by hand (and taped it to hold it in place and out of the way).

The other windows work perfectly. I don't see any signs of water in the door and the wiring all seems good. The door switch even has the little light (tiny LED) that is working.

I thought for sure it was the regulator motor... it's crazy that the new one is acting the same. I can hear it click when pulling the window up on the switch... and after trying it a few times, the motor gets very hot. The old one and the new do the exact same thing. Ugh.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Weird. You might have damaged wire somewhere along the line. A damaged wire could offer higher-than usual resistance which would result in lower voltage delivered to the motor.

Motors (and other devices) which are designed for a specific voltage can behave badly with the wrong voltage and even be damaged. If the voltage is too low the motor might not turn, but there's still current running through it, even at a lower voltage, so that energy has to go somewhere: heat. The motor may even have a built in fan on the rotor for cooling, which is obviously not working if it's not turning.

Try measuring the voltage being supplied at the motor... I'm pretty sure that should be 12V (you can verify that with the wiring diagram).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts