Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i got my car at around 112k miles and it is currently at 122k miles. I am not a car person and am just now looking into getting a tune up. I'm starting to become a little more interested in the ins and outs of my car and to also save a little in my own repairs. Anyway I wanted to know what are the necessary parts needing it. I saw a list from another thread but i also wanted to know what is the recommended brands. The only things ive done maintenance wise was an oil change and breakpad / routers replaced about 3 months ago. The car is still running normally with no problems but i did notice two things.

1. The car makes a rattling noise when sitting at a red light (idle?). The sound only happens when in drive or reverse but only when sitting in place. It's been going on for a few months. Does anyone know what that could be?

2. The car shakes sometimes while also sitting at a red light.

I was thinking of doing a couple of the maintenince myself that are easy (like Replacing air filter & cabin pollen filter) but other then that i don't know all that needs to be done for the tune up. Can anyone list the parts and or brands needed?

P.S. how do i change the time on the radio clock? The manual said to hold down the tune knob for a bit but its not doing anything for me. The navigation is broken so i hope i don't need that just to reset the radio clock.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hello, i got my car at around 112k miles and it is currently at 122k miles. I am not a car person and am just now looking into getting a tune up. I'm starting to become a little more interested in the ins and outs of my car and to also save a little in my own repairs. Anyway I wanted to know what are the necessary parts needing it. I saw a list from another thread but i also wanted to know what is the recommended brands. The only things ive done maintenance wise was an oil change and breakpad / routers replaced about 3 months ago. The car is still running normally with no problems but i did notice two things.

1. The car makes a rattling noise when sitting at a red light (idle?). The sound only happens when in drive or reverse but only when sitting in place. It's been going on for a few months. Does anyone know what that could be?

2. The car shakes sometimes while also sitting at a red light.

I was thinking of doing a couple of the maintenince myself that are easy (like Replacing air filter & cabin pollen filter) but other then that i don't know all that needs to be done for the tune up. Can anyone list the parts and or brands needed?

P.S. how do i change the time on the radio clock? The manual said to hold down the tune knob for a bit but its not doing anything for me. The navigation is broken so i hope i don't need that just to reset the radio clock.
For the maintenance, check out this link as it provides maintenance guide up to 300k miles. This is what I use for every maintenance interval.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-general-car-topics/53264-2004-2008-tsx-maintenance-schedule-up-300k-miles.html

Recently found a rattle sound by my catalytic converter. One of the tabs broke off and caused the rattle during idle or when transitioning onto the throttle from a stop. You'll need to remove the heat shield to see that one, but not sure if that's where your rattle is coming from, but worth a look.

For the clock, sounds like you're not pushing down the tuning knob long enough. Try holding it down for at least 10 seconds and it should give you an indicator that you can update the clock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a brand that anyone can recommend for the transmission fluid, antifreeze coolant and spark plugs? or a link?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just use the Honda OEM fluids and you’ll be fine. For the spark plugs, refer to your owners manual. It lists NGK and Denso ones, either of those will work for your application.
The manual says for transmission fluid i need to use Honda ATF-Z1. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Amazon says they have ATF-DW1 and in parentheses it says (ATF-Z1) did they change the name of Z1? I'd like to get this right the first time. Can't really afford to take care of the car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The ATF-Z1 was replaced by the newer ATF-DW1, which is a synthetic formula. The DW1 formula will work for your transmission. For automatic transmissions, I would stick with the Honda fluid.

One thing to note is that you won’t be able to drain all of the old ATF, due to the torque converter, but it should be fine to mix the DW1 and Z1 fluids together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ATF-Z1 was replaced by the newer ATF-DW1, which is a synthetic formula. The DW1 formula will work for your transmission. For automatic transmissions, I would stick with the Honda fluid.

One thing to note is that you won’t be able to drain all of the old ATF, due to the torque converter, but it should be fine to mix the DW1 and Z1 fluids together.
Thank you very much for the info.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thank you very much for the info.
If you ever have any questions about things like that where you need a quick answer, just call your local Honda or Acura dealer's parts department. They can verify. You can purchase it locally, or online from a Honda or Acura dealer. Amazon probably has Honda/Acura dealers selling products too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
Edgeman
Acura TSX Forum
TSX Club is the perfect forum for Acura TSX fans and Owners, where you can discuss concerns about reliability or how to upgrade your TSX with mods and accessories.
Full Forum Listing