Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 TSX with 50k miles on it and had the typical VSA + (!) light on issue. It turns out the VSA neutral position sensor was having issues. I think I've fixed it now so I thought I'd do a quick write up in case anyone else is in the same boat.

If anyone knows what could cause the VSA neutral sensor to need re-calibration please chime in.

1. Read the codes
    • To do this short pin 4 to pin 9 on the 16P data link connector (DLC) next to the hood release.
    • Without pressing the brake, turn the ignition to "ON"
    • The ABS light should flash back the codes (long flashes for 10s digit and short flashes for 1s digit). If there are multiple codes it will keep cycling through them
    • I had 3 codes: 51- Motor Lock, 61- High Voltage, and 84- VSA Sensor neutral position
  2. Clear the codes
    • With pins 4 and 9 still jumped, and the brake pressed switch on the ignition
    • When the ABS light turns off, release the brake
    • When the ABS light turns back on, press and hold the brake
    • One it goes off again you can release the brake again. If the ABS light flashes twice, the codes have been cleared.
    • At this point I test drove the car and then rechecked the error codes. This time only 84 showed up so I looked that up in the manual
  3. Sensor Calibration
    • At this point I followed the procedure in the manual to "rememorize" the VSA neutral sensor position
    • Connect pin 9 from the DLC to ground (I had to jump to the negative terminal of the battery to get a good connection - I don't know which of the pins on the DLC is ground)
    • Turn the ignition to "ON" and when the ABS light turns off (after about 2 seconds) press and release the VSA button
    • When the ABS light comes back on, press the VSA button again
    • At this point you'll see things flash a few times and all the VSA and other warning lights should turn off
    • I went for a test drive and everything was good- VSA button working as it should

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pin 4 is Chassis ground, so just keep the 4-9 pin in and you are good to go. No need to run any wires anywhere else.

One problem I had with this procedures is the 1st time I did it, it worked and I had to do it maybe 10 more times out of which half the time it only worked after 3 or 4th try.. I couldn't figure out the exact logic of when it finally does work. Just have to keep going at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had to register to this forum to thank you spizzak! I have china hds, you can do about everything else with it, but it´s not able to do short circuit. You saved me from a shop visit!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Worked great ! Just need to test drive now!!! I keep getting left rear wheel doped sensor code, I going to replace it soon. I needed the calibration after I cleared the code the first time. I guess it happens when the battery runs low as well.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Thanks for this!!!!

A related question: why does this happen? In my case, totally out of the blue. Did not hit a pothole. Did not replace anything. Did not remove anything. Parked the car at work and when leaving some 7-8 hrs later, I got the lights.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
i did this, and after about 20min of driving, the vsa and triangle came back on...
Redo the process. If the VSA light returns it could be the wheel speed sensor.

This is what happened to me: I would reset and the VSA would stay off and then come back on (no set mileage or time interval). Used a scanner and one of the wheel sensors went bad. After I replaced the sensor, no more VSA light.

·
150 Posts
i did this, and after about 20min of driving, the vsa and triangle came back on...
Read the codes. What is it saying is the problem? If you simply cleared/reset the codes, the same "problem" is likely causing the lights to come back on. If the same codes come on, after repeating the read/clear/calibrate steps in post #1 multiple times, you will know what needs repair. Occasionally, a repair is not necessary, and read/clear/calibrate will do the trick.

Because I was reading these codes on a fairly regular basis, I bought a standard 16 pin M-F OBDII "extension" cable on eBay for a few bucks. By connecting this extension cable up, I can sit in the driver's seat with the paper clip, jump the pins, and conveniently read the codes as they blink out on the cluster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the 84-1 code is gone, but still throwing 83-1 (ecm/pcm malfunction) the vsa light comes and goes. went a whole day without it coming on, then out of the blue, it popped up. i can turn the car off and back on and it will go away. for some reason if i give the car 3/4 throttle like going up a hill, its the only time it comes on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve tried this several times attempting to reset the warning lights jumping the 4 and 9 pin. The procedure works well - but when I press the brake the second time - the abs flashes once and then stays on.

I also get a message on the dash that’s says “SCS SERVICE TPMS DTC 15” when I try to reset.

I’m just trying to clear the vsa and abs lights and so frustrated with this. They were all working fine and I accidentally let go of the clutch thinking the vehicle was in neutral - it popped forward, stalled, and since then the lights are on.
Please help!!!! Angelo

·
Registered
708 Posts
I’ve tried this several times attempting to reset the warning lights jumping the 4 and 9 pin. The procedure works well - but when I press the brake the second time - the abs flashes once and then stays on.

I also get a message on the dash that’s says “SCS SERVICE TPMS DTC 15” when I try to reset.

I’m just trying to clear the vsa and abs lights and so frustrated with this. They were all working fine and I accidentally let go of the clutch thinking the vehicle was in neutral - it popped forward, stalled, and since then the lights are on.
Please help!!!! Angelo
I would hook it up to a scan tool and see what the code is - sounds like there's a reason the light keeps coming back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clearing codes

I’ll try this again but have tried it three times already. I follow the process to reset using the brake but at the end of the process the abs light should blink twice and disappear. Mine blinks once, then comes back in and stays - it won’t disappear.
Maybe I’m just doing something wrong. ?
Angelo.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I’ll try this again but have tried it three times already. I follow the process to reset using the brake but at the end of the process the abs light should blink twice and disappear. Mine blinks once, then comes back in and stays - it won’t disappear.
Maybe I’m just doing something wrong. ?
Angelo.
Dude the reset is only going to work if nothing is actually wrong with the car. There's a reason the light keeps coming back on!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts