Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So update on my transmission problem I added fluids and the slipping issue keeps happening
Any suggestions would be helpful on whether or not I need to put a new trans in or a rebuild kit

·
Registered
699 Posts
Mind to be more specific about the slipping? For example what gear, and does it happen all the time or depends on the throttle input or rpm?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It actually stop shifting in manual all together and I believe I only have 1st and 2nd gear right now somebody told me to flush the system then flush it 2 more times forthe next 5k miles each and if it doesnt work I need a new tranny

·
Registered
47 Posts
It actually stop shifting in manual all together and I believe I only have 1st and 2nd gear right now somebody told me to flush the system then flush it 2 more times forthe next 5k miles each and if it doesnt work I need a new tranny
We rarely saw these issues with the tsx trannys where I worked, but early model 4 pot and v6 tl's would come in pretty frequently for this and most of the time, if a flush (with the dealers atf machine not the driveway method) and a filter change made it better. To me, it sounds like you're having a fluid pressure issue if you're down to just first and second. It generally takes more pressure to engage the higher gears and if you start dropping gears off the end (5th, then 4th, then 3rd) in succession, it indicates that you have a restriction somewhere causing a greater and greater flow rate issue over time (yes, pressure will be very high after the clog bit there will not be enough flow to make it useful). Many times the filter is enough of a clog on the back end of the system to create an issue, considering how old the car is. If tranny service has been neglected for a long time, I would recommend NOT changing the fluid for now but changing the filter and adding the old fluid back in. But obviously, top off as necessary if you find yourself losing some. If after that, nothing changes, I would recommend taking it to the dealer, its pricy but they have equipment specifically designed to help with this issue that would be thousands if you bought it yourself. If none of that fixes it, look into replacing or at least inspecting your torque converter as your flow/pressure issue may be originating at the pump itself. Then, it might be time for a new tranny.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We rarely saw these issues with the tsx trannys where I worked, but early model 4 pot and v6 tl's would come in pretty frequently for this and most of the time, if a flush (with the dealers atf machine not the driveway method) and a filter change made it better. To me, it sounds like you're having a fluid pressure issue if you're down to just first and second. It generally takes more pressure to engage the higher gears and if you start dropping gears off the end (5th, then 4th, then 3rd) in succession, it indicates that you have a restriction somewhere causing a greater and greater flow rate issue over time (yes, pressure will be very high after the clog bit there will not be enough flow to make it useful). Many times the filter is enough of a clog on the back end of the system to create an issue, considering how old the car is. If tranny service has been neglected for a long time, I would recommend NOT changing the fluid for now but changing the filter and adding the old fluid back in. But obviously, top off as necessary if you find yourself losing some. If after that, nothing changes, I would recommend taking it to the dealer, its pricy but they have equipment specifically designed to help with this issue that would be thousands if you bought it yourself. If none of that fixes it, look into replacing or at least inspecting your torque converter as your flow/pressure issue may be originating at the pump itself. Then, it might be time for a new tranny.

So somehow after work my manual option came back and I had all my gears

·
Registered
47 Posts
So somehow after work my manual option came back and I had all my gears
That's great news, however unlikely it'll stay that way. Not sure what to say about the function of the manumatic system in particular or why it wouldn't at least be trying to shift but it sounds like a separate issue unless the computer is locking it out, do you have codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great news, however unlikely it'll stay that way. Not sure what to say about the function of the manumatic system in particular or why it wouldn't at least be trying to shift but it sounds like a separate issue unless the computer is locking it out, do you have codes?

I do not I'm letting the car sit til I have a chance to do anything with it over the weeks it's been happening I've put in a quart of trans fluid

·
Registered
47 Posts
I do not I'm letting the car sit til I have a chance to do anything with it over the weeks it's been happening I've put in a quart of trans fluid
Is it burning off or leaking out? Thats very bizzare. Have you checked to make sire its filled properly? Under what conditions are you checking the dipstick?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it burning off or leaking out? Thats very bizzare. Have you checked to make sire its filled properly? Under what conditions are you checking the dipstick?

I'm checking after letting the car run for about a minute it doesnt seem to be leaking it has been in the mid to low 20s lately but I doubt that would have an effect seeing as it was in the negatives last year when i would put the fluids in it would almost overflow but im sure that's normal as it's trying feed through the filter

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you've had to add some and its not leaking that means you don't have enough fluid for one reason or another and there is air which will certainly cause shifting issues and likely lots of damage. The trans should be checked when hot (after getting home from work; 15+ min drive) and with the engine OFF. When you add fluid next time over fill it by a good quarter to half quart and put the car in neutral and let it run for 5 to ten minutes check the dipstick and fill it again until the level is the same distance from the top level marker as the top level marker is from the bottom level marker (on dipstick), let run in neutral for a few min, avoid big revs over 2k and without moving, switch though all PRNDL and manumatic mode (wont let you go over 2nd likely) then shut it off and check the level. If it drops below the upper marker, check for leaks, if none add more fluid and start over until it is either smoke on even or above, go little bits at a time and check each time, too much of an over can severely damage your tranny. Once its in that range of where I said (top marker on stick to the equal distance of range and no more above the marker) get the tranny balls hot by letting it run in neutral again. Kill the motor. Then pull the over fill plug on the side of the tranny case and let all the extra leak out (NOT THE DRAIN PLUG). Run motor for 5 min, check level add and let off fluid as needed, try to get it smoke on the top marker. If theres air in there or a lack of fluid that will fix it. And do it in a garage or on a flat surface.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you've had to add some and its not leaking that means you don't have enough fluid for one reason or another and there is air which will certainly cause shifting issues and likely lots of damage. The trans should be checked when hot (after getting home from work; 15+ min drive) and with the engine OFF. When you add fluid next time over fill it by a good quarter to half quart and put the car in neutral and let it run for 5 to ten minutes check the dipstick and fill it again until the level is the same distance from the top level marker as the top level marker is from the bottom level marker (on dipstick), let run in neutral for a few min, avoid big revs over 2k and without moving, switch though all PRNDL and manumatic mode (wont let you go over 2nd likely) then shut it off and check the level. If it drops below the upper marker, check for leaks, if none add more fluid and start over until it is either smoke on even or above, go little bits at a time and check each time, too much of an over can severely damage your tranny. Once its in that range of where I said (top marker on stick to the equal distance of range and no more above the marker) get the tranny balls hot by letting it run in neutral again. Kill the motor. Then pull the over fill plug on the side of the tranny case and let all the extra leak out (NOT THE DRAIN PLUG). Run motor for 5 min, check level add and let off fluid as needed, try to get it smoke on the top marker. If theres air in there or a lack of fluid that will fix it. And do it in a garage or on a flat surface.

I will definitely try that on Sunday or Monday when I have a free moment thank you so much

·
Registered
699 Posts
Admin should bookmark this thread. Super informative for AT owners.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts