Acura TSX Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sounds more like you are talking about the PCI bearings, not the Spoon rigid collars?

The rigid collars are designed to eliminate movement of the subframes by filling in the gaps between the mounting

bolts and the subframe holes/slots with aluminum. They function like a crush washer but a more complex shape to fit the application.

They need to be installed correctly in order to work and the directions are not obvious. I had to inquire with Spoon to clarify, and they

responded promptly with an updated pdf of the directions, which was much appreciated.

Also, the rigid collars come with anti-seize, which some may mistake for grease, since the tube has Japanese characters on it.

I didn't use the anti-seize because my car will never see winter or salt.
I was talking about rigid collars, no kidding!

·
J-Spec
313 Posts
sonyfever said:
I was talking about rigid collars, no kidding!
The rigid collars won't increase noise. In fact they reduce NVH because the chassis becomes more rigid.
If you did only the front, then you aren't getting the full advantage. You may even notice some weirdness
because the front subframe will have a new "normal" position compared to before the collars were installed.

I did the front first and it seemed better, but the car tracked funny. Then I did the rear and the car tracked
perfectly after that. The improvement in chassis rigidity was totally obvious then.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks for the clarification on the rigid collars. Probably best for a fairweather car then. As it stands the TSX in this thread does have to go out in the weather. My car grew up in VA/DC/MD and the undercarriage is pretty clean, this run of Acuras must be pretty resilient to undercarriage corrosion.

The wife and I are kicking around the idea of getting a 4Runner as a third car to share, neither of us has ever owned a truck (I did long ago) if that's the case the TSX won't go out in the snow anymore at least.

·
J-Spec
313 Posts
PsybinZek said:
Thanks for the clarification on the rigid collars. Probably best for a fairweather car then. As it stands the TSX in this thread does have to go out in the weather. My car grew up in VA/DC/MD and the undercarriage is pretty clean, this run of Acuras must be pretty resilient to undercarriage corrosion.

The wife and I are kicking around the idea of getting a 4Runner as a third car to share, neither of us has ever owned a truck (I did long ago) if that's the case the TSX won't go out in the snow anymore at least.
What? No Honda for your third car? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Maybe, but if its a really nice one I'll keep with TSX now or sell that as well and get the 4Runner for a weather vehicle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I guess I should update this.

I decided to sell the TSX. I'm not the greatest at sticking with a vehicle long, I like to try new and different things. After selling my Evolution in February I started seriously looking into the German side of the house.

After waiting almost four months for my order I picked up a 19 Golf R 6MT a couple of weeks ago. I have the TSX posted for sale in a couple of spots and it's possibly pending this Saturday.

It was a great car, one of the better-looking vehicles I've ever owned. Insurance is just too hateful for three cars and with the crazy warranty on the Golf, there is no reason not to drive it.

I'm hoping the next owner takes care of it and she doesn't get ruined. I never got around to installing the lips and side skirts, if the buyer doesn't want them I'll post FS.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts