Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends,

I own a 2007 Acura TSX. Late in 2008, this car skid in snow and hit curb side side wise (left driver side). Got it completely fixed from body shop and initial driving was okie.
Later on i realized that steering wheel is not straight and car pulls to the right always (as soon as you leave steering wheel).
Last 2 years i worked with Acura Dealer at least 5 times or more to fix this issue. Please see below in order, their recommendation and what was done.

1. Do wheel alignment and balancing.
I did and issue did not resolve, i was told this is how most cars drive.
2. Went back in few months as issue was horrible. Recommend changing all 4 tires (tire pull suspected).
I changed all 4 tires and issue still there
3. Repeatedly did wheel balancing and alignment multiple times and issue never got fixed.

I'm really tired. Dealer is not able to fix and now seeing me itself is not giving them a good feel.

I feel like i have ran out of options and i'm seriously worried to see my TSX drive this way. I need my car to drive straight atleast.

I took it to the body shop (acura) and their recommendation was to replace control arm. But they cannot guarantee it will solve the problem and even if the problem is not solved, i need to pay them.

So i did not jump into it, but i think that seems my last option.

Still i have those 2 issues

1. Steering wheel not straight when car going straight
2. Car pulling to the right always.

Anyone could help me would be highly appreciated.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Take it to a reputable alignment shop, get the alignment specs on your car.
If something looks out of spec on that side, I would certainly look into replacing the respective control arm. They arent invincible and can bend. Even a broken rubber bushing could be the culprit.

I have the same issue, my car pulled to the right ever so slightly. My alignment specs were well within spec. However when I rotated my tires this past weekend my car now pulls to the left slightly.. crappy tires were the culprit for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried alignments at multiple places including firestone, was told it is perfect as per specification. Now i'm waiting to see the body shop guy tomorrow and see if he also insist on replacing control arm. Hope i can get this fixed after replacing that. It is so annoying to see car pulling to right always. Thanks a lot for your reply and recommendation.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
you need a printout of your alignment readings.
'in spec' may mean its on the outer limits which can still cause issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They show me print out with numbers and red and green bars and proved to me alignment is within permissible limits. So i could not ask then anything else.

But, what makes me more concerned is that these seems to be very common issue and why are these so called hi tech dealers or body shop people not able to find exact reason? I already spent more than 2k on new tires and multiple alignment and balancing.

I will reply after consulting with body shop tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Jam is correct...OEM spec is still not 100% aligned. It is within OEM specs, but we need to see the numbers. The numbers on each side (hope your shops have hunter racks) will tell you were you have a bent Control Arm, sway bar link, sway bar shock...etc. You may not have hit anything hard enough to bend a frame or subframe, but that doesn't mean you didn't bend a strut, CA, link or wheel hub for that matter. You should have one tire or side (depending on how you hit) that the numbers will be way off the norm of the others.... You could be very lucky and just shifted the subframe and then an old timer can shift it back.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
^ I was in a bit of a fender bender and all I needed was a subframe reseat and I was good to go. My alignment specs were 'in spec' before they moved the subframe btw, but I requested them to do so since I wanted the best alignment possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went back to acura dealer and got my alignment readings again. Please see below.

Left Front
Camber .1 Degree
Caster 2.6 Degree
Toe .02 Degree

Right Front
Camber .1 Degree
Caster 3.0 Degree
Toe 0 Degree

Front
.02 Total Toe
.01 Steer Ahead

Left Rear
Camber -0.6 Degree
Toe .06 Degree

Right Rear
Camber -1.2 Degree
Toe .09 Degree

Rear
Total Toe 0.15 Degree
Thrust Angle -0.02 Degree

I was told alignment seems pretty good and recommended to change tires again. I cannot afford to change tires again:-(.

Tomorrow i'm taking it again to the body shop with this report.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Have the rear toe as close to zero as possible and have both rear camber the same. -1 degrees if you have an adjustable camber kit.

I would swap the front tires to see if the car pulls the same directions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine are uni directional tires. So dealer offered to put another set of tires from a different car and test it some time this weekend.

That would give some more idea.

Your help is highly appreciated. I would post the outcome after meeting body shop tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I have had nightmares over this......Thrust Angle. Your -2 means your car is being pushed to the left side....

Below is why:

If the thrust line is to the right of the centerline, the angle is said to be positive. If the thrust line is to the left of center, the angle is negative. It is caused by rear wheel or axle misalignment and causes the steering to pull or lead to one side or the other. It is the primary cause of an off-center or crooked steering wheel. Correcting rear axle or toe alignment is necessary to eliminate the thrust angle. If that is not possible, using the thrust angle as a reference line for aligning front toe can restore center steering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately, pull is always towards the right side.
Also, i have noticed that when driving through little bit uneven road, car really feels like uncontrolled. Steering weer towards right or left.
But for more than an year, it is always same pull towards right all the time. Also steering is not straight. It is slightly out of alignment.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
How hard did you hit the curb? If the suggestions above don't work out for you it looks like you'll have to start looking at the structure of the car (suspension, control arms, etc).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I skid on a snowy day and it was pretty bad. Car just slid to the left when i was taking a turn (beneath snow was ice), bad luck. Almost all air bags were deployed, if that can tell you the intensity. But once repair was completed, i was told they could do it perfectly.

Today i'm going to body shop with my alignment sheet and he might help me check any frame damage or control arm's.

I'm nervous and curious.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
My money is on control arms or shocks being bent. Did the same thing 6 years back on the VW and first thing I did was replace all the Control arms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As expected. Everyone "wants" to help me, but don't know what to do, strange.
1. Body Shop guy said he does not know what to do. As per him every numbers look good, alignment, balancing and all. Assume no control arms are bent and frame is fine.

2. Dealer says, this is how car / acura tsx drive as they are very aggressive cars, and he want to convince me "TSX" always pulls to the right, BS.

3. Body shop guy concluded his money is on ires (tire pull).
4. Directly went to tire shop and they test drove and guaranteed it is not tire issue, but car issue. But they agreed to put new tires for a very very cheap price, but promised that might not solve problem.

So, finally it is very very very clear that none know much about mechanics of car they sell or products they sell.

I'm leaving the car as it is, i'm tired of wandering around the world and requesting people to fix this very very stupid issue.

Thank you and thank you once again to everyone for your valuable suggestions and comments.

Good luck with your TSX.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
If all of this happened right after you changed tires, it could very will be tire pull. My car was straight as an arrow before I got new tires. Right after I changed tires it started to pull to the left. Mine are also directional tires so I cant really diagnose which tire is pulling. I also took it in for an alignment and everything looked fine. I also got the run around just like you so I decided just to live with it.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
^+1
mine pull to the left- directional yoks.
my alignment is on spec, and i'm not running anything aggressive.
most likely radial pull
try swapping tires if the dealer has said he would let you in order to diagnose it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.