Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a manual transmission that has 3rd gear bad. Looking to replace the transmission.
What other transmissions will be a direct replacement? I have heard the 01-06 Accord and some of the Civics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a manual transmission that has 3rd gear bad. Looking to replace the transmission.
What other transmissions will be a direct replacement? I have heard the 01-06 Accord and some of the Civics.
Had the same problem, snapped off my 3-4 fork and couldn't get it out of 3rd . Got my hands on an older accord 5 spd (03 I think) for $100 that pretty much snapped right in as normal. Ran into some issues because the final drive hump (slightly larger on 5spd) was interfering with the big old aluminum bit that bolts to the middle rear mount and the back of the block. I was able to just cut off the interfering bit with a miter saw and I was left with 3 out of 4 holes for the bolts to the block but haven't had any issues in 3 years now.
I actually prefer and recommend a 5spd. 5th gear is a little underwhelming and rpms feel kind of high over 70mph but first through third have miles better ratios and both 3rd and 4th keeps 2500-3000 at a really nice speed. All the connectors and cables were perfect matches as well as the input shaft and bolt holes.

The speed is a bit off though and gets worse the faster you go (reads lower than actual on dash) but I just fixed that with a setting in my hondata and my gps before that. But that his literally my only complaint besides the knob having 6spd markings

I know youre probably looking for a 6spd so sorry if that didnt help, but id imagine just about any 6spd off a k24 from that time period would work but they are crazy expensive.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Many will bolt up but will not utilize all of the mounting positions. The TSX has a topside mount that (almost) none of the accords/civics do. The Accord Euro-R transmission (ASP3) is a direct bolt in. It also has shorter gear ratios and an LSD, so it's a nice performance upgrade. If you want to keep your highway RPMs lower you crack both trans cases open and swap in the TSX 6th gear.
You can also buy these 6 speed gear sets from accords, civics, or another TSX and just install them in your case. Keep in mind in our cars the speed sensor reads off the third gear. So if the third gear ratio changes, so does your speedometer and odometer readings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. I have heard the Euro R is the transmission to go with but from what I have seen on ebay they are not cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can pick the euro r trans up cheaper if you can source one from a local importer. eBay prices are inflated due to shipping cost.
What do you mean "source on from a local importer"? Are you talking about a salvage yard or parts dealer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts