Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 19,000 miles my car started vibrating when braking at freeway speeds. Took it in, Acura's saying the front rotors are warped past machining due to "excessive braking" and aren't covered under warranty. At 19,000 miles, that's ridiculous! Is anyone else having this issue? And are you having the same trouble with Acura's warranty?

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
Happened to first gens too.

You may not think this way, but its a great time for a BBK or slotted/drilled rotor upgrade :D

R1Concept makes some very affordable ones. I've had 40k+ miles and no warpage.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
At 19,000 miles my car started vibrating when braking at freeway speeds. Took it in, Acura's saying the front rotors are warped past machining due to "excessive braking" and aren't covered under warranty. At 19,000 miles, that's ridiculous! Is anyone else having this issue? And are you having the same trouble with Acura's warranty?
They really said "excessive braking"? That's rediculous for sure, they'll always try to get out of having to pay for issues like this.

I imagine you're not the only 2G guy to have this problem as many 1Gs certainly do. Like zhieson already stated, now would be the time to upgrade your front brakes because the OEM ones are quite expensive and you're bound to run into the issue again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
it happened around 36K with the front rotors, don't even bother with the Acura OEM rotors use Warner or Bendix much better, more heavy duty !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting topic at hand. I just purchased (over 1 month) an '08 w/22k with a slight vibration during highway speeds. Front rotors were slightly warped and covered under warranty. Try a different Acura dealer perhaps?

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is very disappointing to hear since the first generation TSX's had such a pervasive problem with warped rotors, I would have thought Acura would pay attention to this issue and remedy it for the second generation model. I think the answer given by your servicing dealer is inappropriate and warrants a written complaint to Acura NA. I personally had Acura change my rotors and pads twice under warranty. I eventually did swap to after market rotors after my warranty expired and the performance has been much better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The issue with the rotors getting warped on most cars out there (not sure if it's a specific problem with a design on our TSXs though) is water particles getting trapped there while braking. My mom's Corolla developed this issue at 50k, and it's a known thing not to brake aggressively when it's wet. It's extremely easy to warp perfectly fine rotors if you don't take care of your driving habits.

As for r1concept - I bought my slotted/drilled Brembo combo from them 5 years ago for my Z, and I track it, as well as often doing mountain runs, and they are still not warped. Time for brake pad change, but the rotors themselves will last much longer although I will get them spun as well.

If you do an order from r1concept - make sure you don't get their basic brake pads though. They are cheeeeeaaaappppp. Get some quality Hawk brake pads and the Brembo rotors. Some jackass was pissing me off by saying that the rotors will develop a spider web soon after I track it, but 5 years later - nothing like that.

Good company with good prices IMHO. You can also get blanks from them, but try not to get anyone local to slot them though, since things definitely can go awry afterwards and you won't have a warranty -_-

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
If you must change rotors, we exclusively recommend the Racingbrake brand, for a number of good reasons. We've fixed MANY TSx and TL owner's brake problems forever with our brake packages. The R1s are cheap and no doubt acceptable, but I'd put money down Racingbrakes are better made and will last longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
brake pulsation and warped rotors

We have a 2009 TSX which we bought brand new and which now has only 28,420km on the odometer. At 6,700 km, there was an audible brake squeal on stopping, and the dealer performed a rear brake recall repair where they installed a rear brake pad and caliper kit and machined the rear rotors; at less than 5000 miles!! At 18,100 km, when we complained of a pulsating brake pedal, the dealer replaced the front brake pads as per a service bulletin. At 18,800km, they serviced the rear brakes using 'molycote' to remedy a squeal, and stated on the service record that "some noise from the brakes should be considered normal, especially in cold weather". Just last week, at 28,400km, the dealer machined the front brake rotors and serviced the front brake pads. This car is driven by my wife who is not in any way an aggressive driver or hard braker. Considering the multiple issues we have had with the brakes on this car in under 20,000 miles, it is blatantly obvious that there is a fundamental problem in the brake system design and or original brake components on our 2009 TSX. Considering the number of internet site complainants with similar problems , I do not think it would be unreasonable to expect Honda to take proper responsibility and provide a brake system upgrade for what was clearly a poorly designed system and or substandard components. I have filed a formal complaint with Honda and await their reply.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have a 2009 TSX which we bought brand new and which now has only 28,420km on the odometer. At 6,700 km, there was an audible brake squeal on stopping, and the dealer performed a rear brake recall repair where they installed a rear brake pad and caliper kit and machined the rear rotors; at less than 5000 miles!! At 18,100 km, when we complained of a pulsating brake pedal, the dealer replaced the front brake pads as per a service bulletin. At 18,800km, they serviced the rear brakes using 'molycote' to remedy a squeal, and stated on the service record that "some noise from the brakes should be considered normal, especially in cold weather". Just last week, at 28,400km, the dealer machined the front brake rotors and serviced the front brake pads. This car is driven by my wife who is not in any way an aggressive driver or hard braker. Considering the multiple issues we have had with the brakes on this car in under 20,000 miles, it is blatantly obvious that there is a fundamental problem in the brake system design and or original brake components on our 2009 TSX. Considering the number of internet site complainants with similar problems , I do not think it would be unreasonable to expect Honda to take proper responsibility and provide a brake system upgrade for what was clearly a poorly designed system and or substandard components. I have filed a formal complaint with Honda and await their reply.
Just ran into the same problem with my 2010 TSX, i'm at 18,255 miles. Took my car in and they said I needed new pads for my rear. I'm really interested to hear if you'll get a reply from Honda. Please keep me posted.

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
all the 2nd Gen TSX's have this problem it seems. If Acura spent half as much time making a better set of rotors available as they do training their Service Staff to bs the customers it would be a thing of the past.

From my experience, according to Acura, "Excessive" braking = when you use the brakes so much the car comes to rest at the end of the day

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If upgrading the rotor isn't an option for money issues, just get them turned and move on. By turning the rotor or shaving some of the material back to leave a flat surface you end up with almost a perfectly flat surface almost like new. With new rotors you should be able to turn them a few times before they absolutely have to be replaced. Depending on how bad the driver warps them.

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
how do you come to that conclusion? Rotor warping is from the rotor being overheated from either excessive use or just lack of ability to cool itself. There are also the cases where a hot rotor accidentally gets water on it and instantly warps it.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
Do you have proof ? ie did you measure it with a micrometer or you're just saying it's warp ?

I measure my warped rotors with a micrometer and they're not warped, it shakes when braking but the rotors are not warped.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

1 - 20 of 25 Posts