Acura TSX Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'm not sure of the point of the question.

Steering wheel shakes while braking.
Take car to shop turn the rotors.

Wheel no longer shakes under braking.

Not very scientific but if it fixes the problem then that's proof enough for me.

Idk if a micrometer will show warpage because it moves as you go around the rotor. It will be the same thickness around the whole rotor, just wavy. A micrometer will only be useful in telling if the rotor is thick enough to turn.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
how do you come to that conclusion? Rotor warping is from the rotor being overheated from either excessive use or just lack of ability to cool itself. There are also the cases where a hot rotor accidentally gets water on it and instantly warps it.
Because, it is a fact backed up by research and experience I have done over the last 5-6 years or so. I am not the only one who knows rotor warping is a myth...many with conventional knowledge believe it, but it is not true.

The problem is the pads break down under temperature and transfer an uneven amount of material onto the rotors thereby causing the vibration.

Better pads do not break down so readily and will not leave an uneven layer and therefore will not have this problem. In fact better pads will many times clear up the crap left over from old pads.

Do you have proof ? ie did you measure it with a micrometer or you're just saying it's warp ?

I measure my warped rotors with a micrometer and they're not warped, it shakes when braking but the rotors are not warped.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths
Proof? Not in the way you are looking for it. Bit that article you link is really where the concept comes from.

I'm not sure of the point of the question.

Steering wheel shakes while braking.
Take car to shop turn the rotors.

Wheel no longer shakes under braking.

Not very scientific but if it fixes the problem then that's proof enough for me.

Idk if a micrometer will show warpage because it moves as you go around the rotor. It will be the same thickness around the whole rotor, just wavy. A micrometer will only be useful in telling if the rotor is thick enough to turn.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The rotor turning clears up the symptom but does not cure the problem. Many times, the shaking comes back some time down the road. The, people get frustrated and just replace the rotors and pads and never have the issue again. But it is the pads that are the real fix, not the rotors.

Check this out:
Heeltoe's Take on Brakes - HeelToe Automotive

·
Registered
2 Posts
At 19,000 miles my car started vibrating when braking at freeway speeds. Took it in, Acura's saying the front rotors are warped past machining due to "excessive braking" and aren't covered under warranty. At 19,000 miles, that's ridiculous! Is anyone else having this issue? And are you having the same trouble with Acura's warranty?
Our 2010 TSX V6 now has 45K miles and needs the rotors turned for the second time due to warping. Has anyone tried the Stoptech Street Kit Brake Combo package from Helltoe?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Our 2010 TSX V6 now has 45K miles and needs the rotors turned for the second time due to warping. Has anyone tried the Stoptech Street Kit Brake Combo package from Helltoe?
I put 70k on oe equivalent stuff and never had an issue until I was down to almost nothing on the pads. 10 TSX v6 here.

A proper brake job ensures hubs are clean and true, brake caliper pistons move nice and free, fluid is clean, brake caliper pins glide with ease, and pads should almost want to fall out of the brackets.

In addition, the rear brakes can often go overlooked. If they’re not doing enough or as much anymore, you’ll constantly overheat the front brakes leading to uneven deposition of ceramic material about the face of the rotor which leads to the vibration/shudder while braking. If rotors are not true before cutting, a thickness variation will occur after cutting.

As mentioned before, cutting rotors only temporarily fixes the issue by removing the deposited ceramic from the rotor and exposing new metal. But if the braking system is not to 100% by ensuring all the checks above, it will happen again, and again.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts