Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Lexus and Hummer took top honors in their respective categories in the J.D. Power and Associates 2010 Consumer Service Index (CSI) Study. Released this time each year, the CSI rankings (based on a 1,000-point scale) measure satisfaction among vehicle owners who visit a brand service department for maintenance or repair work during the first three years of ownership – that wonderful honeymoon phase when factory warranties are still in full effect. The study is designed to focus on five measurements: service quality, service initiation, service advisor, service facility and vehicle pick-up. The results are tabulated, and then presented as a score on a 1,000-point scale. Unlike previous years, where all brands were lumped into one single category and only three made it to the podium, JDPA broke things into two segments: luxury brands and mass market brands.

Lexus, with a score of 837, was at the top of the luxury brands, again – the automaker won last year as well. It was followed by Cadillac (827), who showed a big improvement over the previous year, and Jaguar (822). If you recall, Jaguar was at the top of the list in 2008 and finished second in 2009 (this is more indicative of a bar that continues to be raised rather than a decrease in service). Hummer (815) was top dog among mass market brands, followed by the now-discontinued brand of Saturn (808) and Buick (805). General Motors holds six of the top seven spots on the mass market category. At the bottom of the list are Suzuki (693), Mazda (717) and Jeep (720).

Overall, the industry is showing improvement as customers have expressed satisfaction with the ease of driving in and out of dealership facilities, parking convenience, thoroughness of work performed, the speed of repairs and flexibility of accommodating schedules. While that sounds like great news, experts say it most of those improvements may be attributed to the lower volumes of service bay traffic as sales slump in the new car showroom. Full release after the jump.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Wow, that scale looks like it should be flipped. I guess they asked all 50 hummer owners how much they liked their car.

I seriously cannot believe that Saturn, and Chevy were that high on the scale. I wonder if people that paid a heavy chunk of change on their MB were disappointed when their car didn't drive like a Bentley, while the people who bought Cobalts (Cavaliers) were impressed that their car didn't need too much servicing a month after the purchase.

Yes, I hate American cars, mostly. I've owned enough to know better. Even if they're great now, they've made too many cars, too poorly, IMHO.

·
Registered
130 Posts
^Yup, you have to wonder how 'independent' these studies are these days. Maybe the GM owners spent more time in the repair shop so they had more feedback to give???

This goes against everything I hear from talking to people first hand about their experiences with their vehicles... I mean, chrysler ranked better than Toyota...C'mon....

Edit: funny how this conflicts with the other consumer survey on this site.

Ford and General Motors products were singled out as strong contenders or best in class, but no domestic automaker made it in the magazine's top five brands. Chrysler's grades fell to the bottom of the magazine's ranking. It was the only automaker to drop last year in all measures used by Consumer Reports to grade vehicles.
chrysler fails at everything!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts