Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For background, the vehicle has less than 70k miles on it, and spent a large portion of its life garaged and driven every month or two. I have had no issues, and have followed maintenance intervals.

This afternoon, the car worked fine same as always. Tonight, I went to go to the star. Doors unlock, power comes on, AC and radio turn on, everything is good until I go to the ignition position.

Everything in the car went completely dead, and stayed that way for a few minutes. Lights, locks, instrument panel, completely dead.

After a few minutes, I accept my fate, and go to manually lock all my doors. After locking the back doors, I made my way to lock the passenger door with the driver door still open. When I closed the doors, the interior lights came on (due to the driver door being open).

I tried to start the car again, this time allowing the car to sit on ACC for a few minutes to let everything "turn on." Turn ignition, everything dies completely same as before, but this time it comes back after maybe only 15 seconds, and none of the door-locking.

Third time, everything dies again, but this time stays dead. I was already suspecting anti-theft, and I did notice the red light in the radio/ac panel labeled as such was blinking even with the car on ACC.

However, the car hasn't come back to life this time, even after a futile attempt to recreate the door lock/unlock thing. I've spent an hour or so googling/youtubing/ and searching this forum, but aside from an unanswered comment from 2012 in another thread that was labeled similarly (but unrelated), I haven't found anything, and as of 10 minutes ago the car is still completely "dead" with the locks and lights completely unresponsive.

Other than an interior light going out maybe 6 months ago after intermittently not working, the car hasn't had any electrical "weirdness" that I have experienced with older cars (namely nissans when the electronics start going bad). I am at a loss... any suggestions? And thanks in advance.

Also, if this matters, its the automatic 5 speed I4 with sport mode, without the navigation package, but the trim type with the "Acura Premium Audio" system and it has limited bluetooth with "HandsFree Link." I know, random info, but this is a random problem... Thanks again!

Last edit: I should add that the car showed none of the symptoms of low battery such as stuttering/flashing lights when turning the ignition, no clicking of any relays that I heard, etc. Start-ups havent been slow, and I don't notice any dimming of the headlights when at low idle/turning on other systems like power windows/AC/audio, so I don't believe it to be the alternator either. Again, the car was driven multiple times today, the most recent being 6-7 hours ago. Finally, I was thinking fuses, but since the car "came back to life" a few times, that doesn't seem to be it either. Some kind of protection circuit in the electronics, or a fault in the anti-theft is what im thinking, but still, hoping someone here has an idea short of getting it towed to the shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had crazy scary stuff like this happen just before the alternator died, warning signs for the last 3 starts or so and then completely dead. It took the battery out with it but after those two items were replaced, the car is back to normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you check the voltage on your battery? A good battery should have 12.7 volts when parked and engine is turned off. The battery may have low voltage and that will cause all kinds of weird issues

·
Registered
1 Posts
For background, the vehicle has less than 70k miles on it, and spent a large portion of its life garaged and driven every month or two. I have had no issues, and have followed maintenance intervals.

This afternoon, the car worked fine same as always. Tonight, I went to go to the star. Doors unlock, power comes on, AC and radio turn on, everything is good until I go to the ignition position.

Everything in the car went completely dead, and stayed that way for a few minutes. Lights, locks, instrument panel, completely dead.

After a few minutes, I accept my fate, and go to manually lock all my doors. After locking the back doors, I made my way to lock the passenger door with the driver door still open. When I closed the doors, the interior lights came on (due to the driver door being open).

I tried to start the car again, this time allowing the car to sit on ACC for a few minutes to let everything "turn on." Turn ignition, everything dies completely same as before, but this time it comes back after maybe only 15 seconds, and none of the door-locking.

Third time, everything dies again, but this time stays dead. I was already suspecting anti-theft, and I did notice the red light in the radio/ac panel labeled as such was blinking even with the car on ACC.

However, the car hasn't come back to life this time, even after a futile attempt to recreate the door lock/unlock thing. I've spent an hour or so googling/youtubing/ and searching this forum, but aside from an unanswered comment from 2012 in another thread that was labeled similarly (but unrelated), I haven't found anything, and as of 10 minutes ago the car is still completely "dead" with the locks and lights completely unresponsive.

Other than an interior light going out maybe 6 months ago after intermittently not working, the car hasn't had any electrical "weirdness" that I have experienced with older cars (namely nissans when the electronics start going bad). I am at a loss... any suggestions? And thanks in advance.

Also, if this matters, its the automatic 5 speed I4 with sport mode, without the navigation package, but the trim type with the "Acura Premium Audio" system and it has limited bluetooth with "HandsFree Link." I know, random info, but this is a random problem... Thanks again!

Last edit: I should add that the car showed none of the symptoms of low battery such as stuttering/flashing lights when turning the ignition, no clicking of any relays that I heard, etc. Start-ups havent been slow, and I don't notice any dimming of the headlights when at low idle/turning on other systems like power windows/AC/audio, so I don't believe it to be the alternator either. Again, the car was driven multiple times today, the most recent being 6-7 hours ago. Finally, I was thinking fuses, but since the car "came back to life" a few times, that doesn't seem to be it either. Some kind of protection circuit in the electronics, or a fault in the anti-theft is what im thinking, but still, hoping someone here has an idea short of getting it towed to the shop.
Sounds electrical, however for instrument panel I might check the fuses to see if any are becoming blown...after all it is an older car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you know if your TSX was ever in an accident? Does it have any after market electrical modifications?

I recommend starting with the basics, check your battery voltage first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts