Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side low beam is inop. The Owners Manual sez that only the dealer should replace the bulb presumably because it is high voltage. I think I can get at the bulb. My thought is that if I disconnect the battery I wouldn't have to worry about voltage. Any reason why I should not have a go at this? I ordered a couple of bulbs online for $40 as opposed to the $190 the dealer wants for one bulb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did mine no problem. It was the first car I've had that required the removal of the front bumper to change them but it's a pretty straightforward process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings Sam. Thanks for the response. If you have a Canadian TSX I think the bulbs are different - at least that is what my owners manual states. It appears to me that I can get at the bulb without dropping the bumper but I spoke with a mechanic friend today and he warned me against doing it myself. He said the HID bulb can hold a very high charge that could knock me on my butt. The good news is he is going to help me (actually I'll watch him do it) maybe next weekend. We rarely drive at night so I can wait. By the way, Happy Thanksgiving from a fellow Canuck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Greetings Sam. Thanks for the response. If you have a Canadian TSX I think the bulbs are different - at least that is what my owners manual states. It appears to me that I can get at the bulb without dropping the bumper but I spoke with a mechanic friend today and he warned me against doing it myself. He said the HID bulb can hold a very high charge that could knock me on my butt. The good news is he is going to help me (actually I'll watch him do it) maybe next weekend. We rarely drive at night so I can wait. By the way, Happy Thanksgiving from a fellow Canuck.
The bulbs are different but the process is identical. Not sure what he means by knocking you on your butt; if the battery's disconnected then it won't do anything to you. As long as you're wearing nitrile gloves while handling the bulbs (to avoid getting oil from your skin on the bulb, it'll create hotspots and burn the bulbs out quickly), it's really not a difficult process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. I was told that the HID bulbs can hold a charge with or without the battery connected and that the charge can be very high. That's why the owners manual sez that the dealer should do it. In any event, I'm going to wimp out and allow my mechanic friend take the lead. Cheers

·
Registered
356 Posts
The bulbs do not hold a charge. maybe the starter or ballast for the bulb could but once power is cut to them (headlight switch), the bulb would attempt to “drain” any stored energy.

they’re not too difficult but require a careful hand. If the bulb is not properly seated OR the starter/igniter is not latched correctly, you may get arcing, a short, or back feeding in your electrical system

1 - 6 of 6 Posts