Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forums here. Have perused the site a lot recently as I’ve been doing repairs to my car. Figured I’d ask for help from someone who has hopefully had this same issue.

I’m in a bind at this point as I’m replacing my OEM struts with some new KYB Excel-Gs. Rears have been completed (with minimal issue). Where I’m stuck is I have the old springs pulled off the strut but I cannot them to compress enough (using spring compressors) to reach the new strut rod in order to attach the nut to the rod through the top hat.

I’ve searched a dozen different forums looking for a solution to this problem (hopefully there is a DIY one) but all I’ve come up with so far is “take it to a shop and have them install it”. Not opposed to doing that but would prefer to have the job completed without running parts around across town.

Would really appreciate any help/advice on this as I’m stumped.

Thanks,

Brett W.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had this issue before on another car, but I just ended up extending the spring compressor to the furthest coil that I could reach on each end and started compressing it that way. It took a long while to compress, but eventually got it to work.

Btw, is the KYB shock the same size as the OEM one? Do you happen to have a picture of the spring with the compressor installed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had this issue before on another car, but I just ended up extending the spring compressor to the furthest coil that I could reach on each end and started compressing it that way. It took a long while to compress, but eventually got it to work.

Btw, is the KYB shock the same size as the OEM one? Do you happen to have a picture of the spring with the compressor installed?
Thanks for the response man, I’ll try putting it on the last coil and keep cranking. As for pictures I haven’t taken any but certainly can and will post later. The KYB shock is pretty much identical to the OEM one as far as I can see, I also recall reading somewhere that KYB produced the OEM shock to begin with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.