Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every auto show seems to spawn as many rumors as concepts, and though the rumors out of the 2010 Detroit Auto Show have been sparing thus far, the latest is a fun one. We recently reported that the 2011 Infiniti G sedan would get a turbocharged 2.5-liter V-6 variant called the G25 to slot in below the 3.7-liter G37. It appears this was not entirely accurate, with sources in Japan revealing that a new entry-level G25 is in the works but it won't be coming with a turbocharged engine.

Instead, it will stick with the naturally aspirated 2.5-liter V-6 found in the Japanese domestic market Nissan Skyline 250GT sedan. This particular unit features double overhead cams and is rated at 210 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque--enough to give the 230 horsepower BMW 3281 sedan a run for its money.

We can't be sure of the details, and it's certainly not official yet, but it is an interesting idea.

Still, regardless of the sketchy details, the idea of a more entry-level Infiniti G sedan is intriguing. One does have to wonder, however, what implications moving further down-market and down in price might have on Infiniti's brand perception as a whole. With the new M on the way and Infiniti's efforts to move that nameplate even further up-market, the G25 seems almost counterproductive.

Even if the 2011 Infiniti G25 does manage to materialize in U.S. dealerships, don't expect it to include coupe or convertible versions--at least at first. According to the report, strong sales of the base sedan would mean both variants would also get the green light down the road, but that the four-door model would be the only one to start.

·
Registered
64 Posts
that would make it a direct competitor with the tsx and is250... but with a rwd platform, this may actually be detrimental to tsx sales in the future.....

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
210 horsepower and 195 pound-feet... for 0.1L more...

So V6 really is superior in terms of cranking out torque?

·
Registered
99 Posts
i dunno how to feel about this.

1st of all, 200-some hp infiniti? that's a never heard of. you're used to the 300hp.

do you really want an "under-powered" infiniti car?

then pricing is going to be interesting. I'd imagine a well-packaged g25 will be maybe only $4K away from a base g3X (X as I have no idea what it'll be when this g25 comes out). would consumers really buy the 25 over a 3X for that kind of price and driving/power/torque difference?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
G25

This does harken back to their old G20 days. This may now seem out of character but this seems to be the way things are going: luxury makes are tuning down their engines ... ditching v8s in favor of turbo v6s & v6s for turbo i4s.

I will be mostly interested in seeing if anyone follows the TSX into just a plain old i4 - no turbo.

·
TarmacTSX
1,589 Posts
i dunno how to feel about this.

1st of all, 200-some hp infiniti? that's a never heard of. you're used to the 300hp.

do you really want an "under-powered" infiniti car?

then pricing is going to be interesting. I'd imagine a well-packaged g25 will be maybe only $4K away from a base g3X (X as I have no idea what it'll be when this g25 comes out). would consumers really buy the 25 over a 3X for that kind of price and driving/power/torque difference?
Your right, it wouldn't be the same as lexus having the IS250/350,
the reason I say that is because ppl are use to the G always being a 3.5 liter nd now 3.7 liter. So pricing will be interesting to see. I think they are trying to make an entry level G kind of how lexus did with the is, but imo its kind of late.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine

As a part of Renault-Nissan and Daimler AG’s new alliance, Infiniti’s G lineup will receive Mercedes-Benz engines. Renault SA and Nissan Motor Co. CEO Carlos Ghosn said that the G lineup will get Mercedes-Benz’s inline 4-cylinder engines to improve fuel-economy figures and curb emissions.

Ghosn did not say when the new engines will make their way into Infiniti production lines or to which extent they will replace the brand’s 4-cylinder and V6 engines in the G sedan and coupe.

Mercedes-Benz currently uses 1.8L 4-cylinder engines in some of its C-Class models in Europe. The C-Class is not offered with anything smaller than a V6 in North America.

Mercedes-Benz will begin production of the C-Class in Alabama in 2014.

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
210 horsepower and 195 pound-feet... for 0.1L more...

So V6 really is superior in terms of cranking out torque?
in modern day engines anything over a I-4 (not including GMs 5cyl.) is a V engine. So yeah in todays car V6 makes more torque. But when it comes down to the science and physics of engines, an inline motor will always be capable of making more torque than a V. Good examples are inline jeeps over the new V6, I-8 in older fords and chevys. As an avid mud bug, I would rather a single cylinder engine or a inline engine over ANY monster V6 or V8 only because of the low-end torque inlines produce.

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is SOOO awesome.

This is a have to. There is no way they will meet cafe standards with big engines. Just like what happened years ago, engine size will pare down, and suddenly small Honda engines won't seem so small.

At any rate, standard Nissan fare.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I really wonder why our TSXes make such small amount of torque and at such a high RPM (~4500rpm). There are so many other examples, like the new Sonata 2.0, that have same or similar displacement that produce the same HP, but with way higher torque. It makes me disappointed in our TSX's numbers.

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
I really wonder why our TSXes make such small amount of torque and at such a high RPM (~4500rpm). There are so many other examples, like the new Sonata 2.0, that have same or similar displacement that produce the same HP, but with way higher torque. It makes me disappointed in our TSX's numbers.
Torque is the effect of the physical rotation of the engine. Increase the weight of the crank(i should say strategically distribute the weight), diameter of the pistons, and air/fuel ratio and you'll increase the torque. On V engines, you change the angle of the piston(s) as well and increase torque. Some single cylinder engines can be modded TOO much and literally rip themselves apart from too much torque.

So this all factors in, Hyundai might have looked at the K series and said "we must out do that without sacrificing anything." And that is what they did with the 2.0

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Direct Injection

I am going to preface this by saying that I do not know much about technical issues but regarding Hyundai (and other's) new engine, I thought that their MPG & torque gains over Honda/Acura had to do w/ direct injection? Something Honda/Acura has apparently resisted ...

Back on topic: does Nissan not already have its own 4 bangers ... ?

·
Registered
604 Posts
The new sonata engine is also turbocharged, that makes alot of torque.

I still am hoping beyond hope that Honda starts with the turbo diesels, or AVTEC or does something in the next couple years.

OT, Americans need to get ready to move to smaller engines, price of gas is about to go back up, just the way of things.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Price

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif., Aug. 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Infiniti today announced a new addition to the popular Infiniti G Line, the G25 Sedan, which features a 2.5-liter V6 engine. It is scheduled to go on sale at Infiniti retailers nationwide in September, joining the Infiniti G37 Sedan, G37 Coupe and G37 Convertible. It will have a starting Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price* (MSRP) of $30,950 USD.

"With the new G25 Sedan, we're broadening the appeal of the G Line with a model designed to provide an additional choice for buyers looking for a true luxury sedan, but who might not need the higher levels of performance provided by our larger engine-equipped G37 models,"
said Infiniti Vice President Ben Poore, speaking at a media event at the 60th annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. "The G25 is positioned in the heart of the luxury sport sedan market, allowing us to bring Infiniti's Inspired Performance to a wider selection of buyers."

The new 2011 Infiniti G25 Sedan shares the same dynamic exterior, interior and chassis as the G37, but with a smaller displacement engine. The 2.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 produces 218 horsepower and 187 lb-ft of torque, versus the G37's 3.7-liter DOHC 24-valve V6's 328 horsepower and 269 lb-ft of torque. The G25 Sedan comes with a standard 7-speed automatic transmission and is available in both rear-wheel drive and intelligent all-wheel drive. Three models are offered: G25 Sedan, G25 Sedan Journey and G25x Sedan AWD.

The G25 Sedan's extensive list of standard equipment includes leather-appointed seating, Shodo aluminum interior trim, 8-way power driver's seat and 4-way power front passenger's seat, Automatic Temperature Control, premium audio system with six speakers, XM® Satellite Radio (XM® subscription required, sold separately) and much more.

Other standard features range from 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xenon headlights, 4-wheel Anti-lock Disc Braking System (ABS), Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) and Traction Control System (TCS).

The G25 Journey model adds RearView Monitor, heated front seats, heated outside mirrors, auto on/off headlights, Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control and more.

"While the G25 Sedan serves as the entry into the G line, it still offers an impressive array of luxury features – from leather-appointed seats to satellite radio," said Poore. "With inspired style and performance – backed by our unique customer care philosophy, the Infiniti Total Ownership Experience® – we are confident the new G25 will attract a lot of attention in the marketplace."

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts