Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temperature gauge on my 2013 reads well below the halfway point on the gauge even after a long drive, winter or summer. It has been like this since i bought the car a few ago. I am wondering if others see similar readings? I was thinking I should change out the thermostat unless it is a common occurrence

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds like a thermostat that’s stuck open. Mine doesn’t do that and others I know have never done that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you have a stuck stat, you’d likely get a code for “cooling system performance”. My 04 read right in the center, my 10 reads 1/3 at normal op.

If you have a scanner or one of those generic live data dongles to use with your phone, you can see the actual coolant temp as reported by the temp sensor. Depending on ambient temperature, you should see the temp reach operating temp (around 200 f) within 5 minutes of driving or so. If it takes considerably longer (again depending on ambient temperature), and also hangs low 170’s 180’s for a long period of time, the thermostat could be weak or stuck open.

My 10 has 162k and still on original stat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd check your radiator to see if any of the fins are blocked or missing. Diesels run colder than petrols by nature and saloons/estates are often fitted with decent sized radiators from the factory so they can tow things like caravans on hot days easily, so it's rare for the thermostat to not be able to keep the system running at "half way", not that it means much as the gauge is just there to make you feel better rather than to display anything meaningful.

Your car running at a little over half isn't cause for concern, but I would be looking at parts of the cars cooling system to make sure everything was up to scratch. Take a look at the radiator first off, as that's easiest. I'd probably replace the thermostat as well as they're cheap and usually pretty easy to replace - it'd be good to flush your coolant at the same time too. It could be the water pump failing, but that's very unlikely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts