Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase winter tires for my vehicle (Michellen X-ice 3) and the store i want to purchase it at does not carry the 17 inch size . I have read around on the forums that the Acura TSX is capable of a 16 inch wheel during winter .Will a 215/55R/16 size be ok for winter tires ?

Thanks.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
yea that should be fine as it's like 0.6% smaller in diameter compared to stock. however, the best size for winter tires on the tsx would be 205/60/16

·
Registered
207 Posts
i've been running 16' for my winter setup, and the way i made sure that it would be compatible, i used this wheel size master that was posted in acura zine a while back

Here's the link if you're interested.

http://tsx. acura zine. com/forums/showthread.php?t=656174

just take away the spaces

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just switched to 215/55-16 Gereral Altimax Actric after running for 6 winters with 205/60-16, and after driving in the wet and the dry for the past week wish that I'd chosen this size years ago. This will be the 3rd winter running lowered with A-spec struts and Progress RSB.

Ok, these tires haven't seen any snow yet, but I feel the skinny 205/60's produce too much understeer, in the snow & wet & dry. Perhaps I've decided to make the trade-off for more control when there's not a lot of [deep?] snow.

There is a lot of new snow tire technology out there, making wider tires a viable winter option. I know the Arctic Altimax is not really new, but I've been running 195/55-15's on a Protege with a contact patch that is wider (at the road) than the 205/60-s on the 700lb heavier TSX, and that car has always worked better in the snow (and wet, when it's cold) than the TSX (with VSC off or on). I'd stay away from a "performance winter tire", if you expect regular snow; my 205/60-16 Dunlop M3's became marginal during their second winter everywhere except in dry conditions.

I seriously consider junking my snow tires if the tread in the fall is 7/32", so spending $1,200 for Michelin Xi3's, here in Canada, doesn't make sense for me, because I drive a lot, and would rather pay for new tires and get more tread depth.

My winter set of Motegi MR7 rims are 7" wide, and their +42 ofset still works with a fully loaded car - that is, there's no rubbing agains the fenders. There's a bit of spray on the body work, but it looks to be about the same as with the 205/60's; a higher offset would be better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.