Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TSX Sold! Hello STi!
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a pic(s) of 18" wheels with 225-40-18 tires on a stock or A-Spec suspension? I'm just curious to see what the gap looks like between the fender and tire... I like the look of a 40 series tire, but don't have any plans to drop my car any lower than the A-Spec suspension... at least, not at this time. I still haven't gotten around to installing the suspension yet - been so damn busy. In any case, I'll be getting a new wheel package shortly, and have to figure out whether to get a 40 series or 45 series tire. I prefer the 40 series tire (45 makes the wheel look smaller IMO), but not if the gap is going to make the car still look lifted because of the smaller sidewall. If I have to get a 45 series tire, that pretty much limits my choices down quite a bit, as most summer rubber comes in the 225-40-18 spec.

And while I'm on the subject, if anyone has a pic of 225-45-17 tires on the stock rim, that'd be great... since I'll have tires dedicated for summer and winter, I figure I'll pick up some snow shoes for the stock rims. The OEM tires are so arse. Of course, I've never been a fan of Michelin's... had them on my last ride too, and they don't seem to stick as well as other brands.

Uber thanks --- I know you blokes are always hearing the same posts over and over again, so I don't want to flood the board with repeat questions. I figure, though, that some of you chaps don't mind showing off your whips, eh? ---> realizing that the last sentence can be taken a number of different ways... :confused:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
I'm sorry I don't have pics of 225/45/17 with A-Spec.

After I put the A-Spec setup on my car, I realized that 225/45/17 was not going to work as the drop was fairly slight and 225/45/17 is smaller than stock. You would go back to stock wheel gap, and in my opinion it would seem even worse than stock due to the smaller tires.

After I installled Tein FLEX coilovers, my stock tires were basically tucked up inside the wheel wells. When I put on 225/45/17s, I had about a 1 finger gap all around.

I'm current running 225/45/17 Yokohama ES100s on 17" x 7" '05 RSX-S rims (same size as stock TSX rims but with 45 offset instead of 55).

225/40/18 is slightly larger than 225/45/17 but not enough to differ much from my results-it's still smaller than stock.

225/45/18 was tried by someone with Prokit and Neuspeed Koni's. It rubbed initially, so he raised the car up with the Koni perch adjustment, and it still rubbed , so he abandoned that idea.

Tire sizing is tough for the TSX. I'm getting some 18s; 225/40/18 would work for me but overall I feel that size looks undersized in the wheel well, and I kind of don't want a 40 series tire. 235/40/18 is another option but will probably stick out a little-maybe not bad with a FLEX drop but definitely with a an A-Spec. I haven't decided yet......

Here's a couple pics of my car......

·
TSX Sold! Hello STi!
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lanny,

Thanks so much for the help... I always appreciate your posts because they're very detailed; it helps me out immensely! I'm sure the other members feel the same way.

Anywho, that is my dilemma... I'll be going to 18's for the warm months, and I have no idea what tire to get. Judging by your post, a 225-40-18 will still look "lifted" on my A-Spec suspension, which means that a 215-45-18 would be the next logical choice since a 235 tire would probably be a odd with the A-Spec setup. I can live with keeping the OEM specs 215-50-17 on the stock wheels for the winter months, but I'm having an awful time at finding "good" 45 series tires for an 18" wheel...

It seems like everytime I *do* find a 215-45-18, the load rating isn't right (i.e., too low)... or they're touring all-season's... and that would defeat the purpose of going the dedicated summer/winter setup, no?

Anyone else on the board with some thoughts (and pics!)? As I said before, I like the lower profile look of 225-40-18, but don't want to negate the slight drop from my A-Spec suspension...

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
Yea, I had my Ggames 18's 225/40 at stock height before I got my Teins recently:

Quite a gap as you can see...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of a MSM with 215/45/18s on 18x8s with A Spec suspension. These are Bridgestone SO2s, awesome tire but very $$.

235/40/18 would be alright on the right offset rim. I saw a set on some RonJons, 18x7.5 50 offset, looked very nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts