Acura TSX Forum banner

225/45/17 on stock rims

14K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  madart 
#1 ·
I searched but had little luck finding if this is a good idea on stock rims. On tire rack, this size is listed as an optional tire for the '04 TSX. this size is actually cheaper than the 215/50/17s!

any reason not to do this?

#2 ·
Sorry to thread jack but I was just about to post the same question!

Any feedback on 225/45 (17) vs 215/50 (17)? Is the ride significantly harsher? Does the overall smaller diameter increase finger gap and noticeably worsen the looks on the car? I'm on stock ride height/suspension.

Thanks in advance for ANY feedback and thanks to the original poster for letting me jack his thread ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
Honestly, there won't be that much difference in ride for them. The 50 height will be slightly less with a 45 tire, and the increase in width to 225 will provide some more rim protection. I actually prefer 225/45... I ran them on an 8" wide wheel and it was a very nice fit.

#4 ·
I'd be worrying if the tires are good more than worrying about looks.
Never got a chance to ride on 215/50 cause my dad switched them as soon as he picked up 225/45.
Don't see how the ride could be any harsher from 50 to 45. I think it'd be noticeable if you went 50 to 35 or 30. Barely a different with finger gap either imo. What is noticeable to me is the height of the car. It's not drastic, but noticeable to my eyes at least.

#5 ·
I've been on 225/45 on stock wheels for years. No problems at all. MUCH easier to find and better prices, too.
Slightly increased wheel gap (maybe 2mm? Use a tire size calculator and find out). Not really noticeable as I'm lowered anyhow.
One thing is that it's much harder to find XL load-rated tires in 225/45. It has not been a problem at all, and I find if the psi is kept at 34F/33R, the ride is perfectly fine with sidewalls that don't cave under hard cornering.
The extra width is nice for increased grip.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the responses - I hope this answered the OP's question as well.

As one of you said the looks should not be my primary concern and its not (quality tires are). I just wanted some feedback since I have selected some lightweight old school Enkei 17s (function over form) that LOOK small to begin with so that's why I inquired about his well the 225/45's fill up the wheel well/affect wheel gap.

I'm reading really good reviews on Michelin Pilot Super Sports which for some reason seem to NOT come in 215/50. So here I am debating pulling the trigger on some sweet performance tires.

PS: anyone have these tires in any size?

#10 ·
Hello all,

Long-time lurker, back-again poster (I was more active waaaay back).

I'm looking at summers for my '06 (I run winters), and have been hearing good things about the Continental ExtremeContact DWs, but mainly from non-TSX drivers (BMWs and other RWD fare). I'm worried they would behave differently on a FWD car. Thoughts?

#11 ·
I was very close to pulling the trigger on those in 215/50/17... If i recall the Contis are decent in snow. however i too am doing dedicated snows so Ended up springing for Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 225/45/17. More cash but seem worth it so far. Love em. I read many reviews on tirerack.com before making the call. Compared to my Yoko Avid Envigors In 215/50/17 - these cornet and hook up really well and have yet to break traction . Of course my memories of the Yokos when they were new have faded but I'm confident these Super Sports are a much better summer performance option.

#12 ·
I just put a set of Achilles ATR Sport 17x 235 45 on mine because I changed wheels.
They only have a few hundred k's on them as yet but initial impression is very good. Much quieter than the Pirellis I had on before, and the steering response and stability are good also.
Grip in the dry is very good and they have a 400 wear rating.
For a very cheap tyre (under $100 a corner) so far I'm impressed.
Online reviews also seem to back this up.
Apparently they're not a good snow tyre though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.