Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
After 180k trouble free miles, first major issues with my 06 TSX. 2nd gear grinds mildly now. Still goes into gear fine, just feels awful with a slight crunchy noise. It's pretty much all new hardware since last fall I did new OEM cables, shifter bushings, royal purple synchromesh, and the clutch, pedal, CMC and slave are all under 2 years old. Going to do GM friction modified synchromesh this weekend and hope it helps but it's looking like a trans rebuild or replacement is in the works. Anyone ever gone down this road with the TSX trans? Thinking maybe of doing all new carbon synchros and a new 2nd gear, maybe 3rd depending how it looks when it's opened up. Anyone have experience with this particular issue? I will upload a video later on showing how bad it is. maybe some of the more knowledgeable OGs could lay out a minimum $$$ fix and best bang for the buck upgrade while i have the trans out of the car? Seems like the cost of new synchros + rebuild would put me in the same money as getting a ASP3 Euro R trans and bolting it up since i'm not having to pay for opening up the trans and replacing a bunch of components.

Registered
I went ASP3, but opened it up anyway. Swapped my TSX 6th gear in so highway RPMs stayed the same, changed all the bearings (OEM) for peace of mind, and Synchrotech carbon 1-4. Changed the gear oil after 3000 miles (I used amsoil synchromesh) and it is still the best transmission I've ever had the pleasure of shifting. I think I paid $1400 for the ASP3, ~$300 for the Synchrotech kit. Don't remember how much bearings were.

I screwed up during my rebuild and wrecked the ASP3 case, and ended up moving all the internals to the old TSX case (it's magnesium which is lighter anyway). Which means I also had to spend a few bucks on some new left thread TSX trans case bolts... Because I broke 3 or 4 of them before I figured out they were left threaded... So if you open your TSX gearbox, keep that in mind 馃檮 I think those lefty bolts cost something like $9 each.

You could possibly do it cheaper if you just bought the Civic SI or RSX-S gear stacks, and LSD, and refurbished those internals to be installed in your TSX case. The only thing that makes the ASP3 special is that it bolts right into our chassis (with a weight penalty). The internals are the same as SI and RSX-S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts