Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got an 04 TSX. It has been an absolute nightmare. The timing chain skipped a tooth in 2006 ~60k miles, causing major damage. Acura ended up fixing it for free because it was clearly a mechanical failure. Ever since then, I noted regular oil loss--though no oil spots appeared below the vehicle, nor did I smell any burning of oil. Each time I brought this up with Acura service, they inspected the vehicle and told me that no oil leaks were found, nor was it burning oil. They simply advised me to keep checking the level and add oil as needed--which I've done.

Then 40k miles later, the replacement timing chain failed again, and Acura fixed it again for free. They had to do some re-machining to the valves as well.

Now its 2012 and my check engine light came on again. I brought it into a different dealership much closer to my house, and they look into it and tell me that A. I've got several small oil leaks throughout the engine and B. the OBD codes indicate a timing chain failure, and they would like me to pay $3200 to have it fixed.

At this point, the car has 135k miles on it, and due to these repeated mechanical problems (plus recurring issues with the airbag sensors, the stereo/cd player, the power steering rack, constant rotor warping, etc.) I feel like the car is not worth much to anybody, and I certainly have no intention of pouring another $3200 into the car. After explaining my woes to the dealership (McGrath Acura of Downtown Chicago), they said that they'd cover half the cost of the repair, but I think that it's ridiculous that I have to pay for a fix on a part that shouldn't have ever failed in the first place, let alone 3 times!

So what should I do? It's un-drivable now, it is stalling out. I don't really want to take it back out to the other dealership that did the original repairs because it is 30 miles away.

If I were to fix it at $1600, how much would I reasonably get for it? It is in otherwise good condition, and given it's track record one could probably get another 40k miles out of it. But I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy it, I know I wouldn't. Is there some place that would buy it just for the parts?

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,037 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you've had so many issues with your TSX. I mean, given its an 2004 (first year) there is bound to be a few issues but this is just ridiculous. I've had 105,000 trouble free kilometers on mine so its upsetting to hear about another one having all these problems.

I'm going to just flat out say that you have a "lemon".

Unfortunately, your car will not be worth much at all and having a car you cannot drive at the moment does not help you at all either. You were probably better off having a good used engine installed the first time around rather than repairing the already damaged one.

·
Save the Manuals!
63 Posts
You could try finding someone who has a wrecked TSX with a still-good engine; they might take it off your hands.

It would be some work, but selling the car part by part could turn you a profit versus repairing and outright selling. If you have nav, it would fetch you close to $1000 for all the parts. People need body panels and trim pieces all the time, and your ECU is worth a few hundred, and so forth...

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Out of curiousity, is the car a 6MT?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did they ever replace the timing chain tensioner when they did the chain? Low oil will also cause timing chain problems. Anyway, t $3200, I would just looked into getting a used engine like others have pointed out.

As for the constant rotor warped, I had the same problem. They kept saying it was the pad and rotors ... I've replaced mines four times in a two year period. Well, turned out my two front calipers were bad. Replaced both and have been driving for a couple of years now with no brake problems *knock on wood*

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wish you good luck with this problem. It looks very uncommon for a TSX to have such troubles with the timing chain. As some already said, if you ever do the job again (let's say an Acura dealer should do it), make sure the tensioner and guides are replaced as it might be the source of the problem. Also, Honda did a revision on the upper guide in middle of 2006 to reduce chain slap. I noticed that when searching for different tensioners and found that it was revised (longer) with the K20Z3 in 06+ Civic Si. You might want 14540-RAA-A02 instead of 14540-PRB-A01.

Good Luck!

J~

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the feedback!

Yea, the tensioner was replaced, at least the first time the timing chain failed. Not sure about 2nd time, but I would hope so!

Sucky situation, it has definitely soured me on Acuras.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I hate to say this, because I have no way of knowing, but I have a feeling that they only changed the tensioner the first time and let it go.

Changing the chain is involves taking the motor out at most dealers.

I just did a timing chain and tensioner on my tsx with 130k miles. I did it with the motor in the car, but its not easy. The chain was stretched by almost a chain link.

I really don't see the chain failing again after 40k miles. I use the k24's for my race motors in my swapped civic making close to 400 whp with cams as big as .600" lift and I never had a chain stretch.

If you have not fixed yet, and you are going to do it, ask for the old chain and tensioner back after the job.

Stefan

PS: took me 6hrs to do the chain and tensioner with the engine in the car. Chain cost $120, tensioner another $80 for a total of $950 plus tax if I were to charge my self shop labor hours.

Honda/Acura book hours on it is 8hrs. So even at that its not the $3k they asked for.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Sounds like an oil issue to me as well. The tensioner runs on oil pressure. If you do get a new motor try really hard to find a k24a2 as the chain case mount is not the same and you will need to fab something or I believe a CRV mount will work.

Check this out: K24 Engines instock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

2k for a 50k mile motor, not sure if they still have them in stock but its worth a shot.

If you decide to rebuild the engine get a new chain, have them pop the head off and clear the oil passages and get a new oil pump and chain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok so i can relate....in some ways but ppl i need your help!!!!wow where to start so i have a beautiful 2004 tsx 6mt with navi sunroof everything i coulda ever dreamed of in my car. i bought if almost two years ago with 76000 miles on it and from the time i bought it second gear as an issue a/e it wouldnt go in easy and it certainly wouldnt stay in 2nd gear in a parking lot at low speed it would always pop out ok so warranty replaced it and when i got my car outta the shop (used car dealership doing private warranty work not under acura warranty) it had a serious power steering leak....so for some crazy reason it stopped and then i had a starting issue... long story short i ended up replacing the starter twice(be careful of ebay parts) so i push started a car with a 300 dollar payment for months before this issue was figured out cuz i replaced the starter so i was trying to find something else wrong and shouldve joined this site along time ago......wow anyway so when the starter got replaced the second time it was done by a shop which also determined that i had a bad camshaft sensor...so the check engine light was off for the first time in months until it got cold one morning then tsa abs and check engine lights were all on so i went back to the shop that replace it which is an hour away i might add and the light goes off mins before i get there so i crash at familys house so that the light will be on in the morning when its cold again so it is i get them to replace both censors and the light is still on....then for whatever reason they changed the crank sensor as well saying this could cause a false reading on the ecu because of an indifference in the censors readings anyway that did nothing so swapped the crank sensor back to the factory one and car wouldnt even start!!! so at this point im floored but luckly im friends with the owner of the shop and no of this has hit my pockets and he promises well get it fixed...well om christmas i get a gift and the lights were all of for once and the car ran great.....wake up the next morning and my car wont start and sounds horrible when i press the gas and try to force it to start....it was low on gas christmas night otw home but it wasnt sputtering out or anything and now the car turns over tries to start but almost sound like no compression idk what to do the more i read the more worried i get my car has an issue with losing oil randomly also with no leaks and no smell of burning oil just some residue on the back bumper please help!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts