Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey TSX'ers,

I have a 2005 6MT coming up on its 30k mile service. Any input on this will be helpful.

I've searched in the forums and gathered a bit of information on the 30,000 mile service.

The stealership is quoting me $450 after tax. I'm planning on getting the following things done at an independent mechanic:

1. Oil change - moving to synthetic with this oil change (Mobil 1?)
2. Tire rotation
3. Engine Air filter replacement
4. Cabin air filter replacement
5. Brake fluid replacement
6. Wiper blade replacement
7. Visual inspection

8. Maybe, Transmission fluid flush

Is there anything else I'm missing?

The question is how much do you guys think this should cost me and is it better to get it done at the stealership or the independent mechanic.

Also can somebody tell me if there is a specific type / brand of Transmission fluid, brake fluid, air filters that should be used?

Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fieryfly

·
Registered
817 Posts
The stealership is always gonna be overpriced for services. As far as brake fluid, tranny fluid, and coolant, I always stick with Honda brand. Mobil1 is the way to go with oil. Check out Advance or Pep Boys sometimes they will have a special 5qts and an oil filter of Mobil1 for 30 bucks. You could probably get away with a drain and fill for tranny fluid but I would flush and then drain and refill every 15-20k after. Tranny drain and fill goes between 50-100 and flush goes from 150-200 depending where you go. If I were you I would change the air filter and cabin air filter yourself. I'm pretty sure if there is DIY threads for both and it will save you on labor and its pretty simple. You can get a drop in k&n filter or stick with oem. I didn't do a brake flush until 60k and they charged me 100 bucks.

·
Un-Civil Engineer
2,205 Posts
I would let the independent mechanic do ALL of the above, if it is someone you can trust. It would be much cheaper most likely for the same thing.

Use the Honda brand transmission fluid. I can't remember what its exactly called, but if you check in the maintenance section of this site, or in your owner's manual, it should give the name.

Any OEM air filter should suffice.You should do that one yourself since its easy and cheaper. I just use the Fram air filters for now.

I would do the cabin air filter myself. It will save you probably $50.00 in labor. It takes about 3 minutes to do yourself!

Sorry for the long reply, I am trying to do too many things at once. I hope this helps!

Good luck.

I would also replace the wiper blades at home. It will be much cheaper.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Here's my alternative pricing list (assuming you can do most of this, as these things are pretty easy)

$45-$65 5 quarts Mobil 1 5W30 extended life + Mobil 1 filter
2. Tire rotation: free
3. Engine Air filter replacement: $20-$40 (K&N for a good quality reusable filter)
4. Cabin air filter replacement: $10-$20
5. Brake fluid replacement: I let the dealer do it
6. Wiper blade replacement: $15-$40 (recommend PIAA @ $20 each)
7. Visual inspection: free, if you're not blind

8. Maybe, Transmission fluid flush: I let the dealer do it

So, your costs, assuming you can do the things listed above, should be between $140 and $170 (materials+tax). The other services could run you a bit, but are more intensive. I tend not to go with maintenance packages, as they sell you complicated services, which "include" simpler services (which will cost quite a bit when totaled).

·
(: Daniel :)
3,224 Posts
Here's my alternative pricing list (assuming you can do most of this, as these things are pretty easy)

$45-$65 5 quarts Mobil 1 5W30 extended life + Mobil 1 filter
2. Tire rotation: free
3. Engine Air filter replacement: $20-$40 (K&N for a good quality reusable filter)
4. Cabin air filter replacement: $10-$20
5. Brake fluid replacement: I let the dealer do it
6. Wiper blade replacement: $15-$40 (recommend PIAA @ $20 each)
7. Visual inspection: free, if you're not blind

8. Maybe, Transmission fluid flush: I let the dealer do it

So, your costs, assuming you can do the things listed above, should be between $140 and $170 (materials+tax). The other services could run you a bit, but are more intensive. I tend not to go with maintenance packages, as they sell you complicated services, which "include" simpler services (which will cost quite a bit when totaled).
"7. Visual inspection: free, if you're not blind" :laugh:

I agree with this layout on price range. I would DIY everything personally except for the brake and tranny flush, I would just have a trusted mechanic do that for you.

I've found Mobil 1 to be cheapest overall at Wal-Mart in my area. $22 for 5 quarts 5W-30 reg Synthetic and like $26 for Mobil 1 Extended Performance which says is good for up to 15K miles. Mobil 1 filter is usually like 12-13 bucks depending the place. DIY section has the oil change procedures.

Filters are super easy, 10 mins and both cabin and air filter should be changed and done for you. DIY section has the cabin filter replacement, air filter is kind of common sense tbh. K&N is good from a performance standpoint but the filtering isn't as strong as a paper/oem filter. Since K&N is less restrictive in air flow (leading to minimal gains) it leads to more stuff being able to get into the engine, catch 22 on your choice. I just use regular old replacements. Cabin ran me like $12 and $15 for air filter @ Autozone.

So yea, for me to go synthetic with new filters changed out and all DIY it ran me like $55 w/tax. Cheaper than a normal oil change for synthetic alone in my area :) If you DIY your oil don't forget to replace the crush washer on your drain bolt, can be bought for super cheap at the dealer or hardware store.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Thanks for all your inputs guys.

The information you've provided is really helpful.

Since I don't have access to a ramp and my apt complex being a b*tch, I won't be able to do the oil change myself.

I'll probably end up changing just the air filters and wipers myself and let a good mechanic do the rest for me.

Thanks again!
Fieryfly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts