Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the borchure, the TSX will have a 350 W system! I hope it is not just anohter gimmik like RSX's Bose with sub-woofer.

Speaking of the bose, the type-s version of the tsx should get the bose system as usual!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
454 Posts
bose?
:D
that would be great! My aunt's 99 RL 3.5 has a bose system in it.. damn is that thing nice... and too bad she doesn't utilize it... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
first of all its a 360 watt there is not type s yet and the system is great. why complain. Get your facts straight

·
Registered
16 Posts
all bose sound systems are standard on acuras exceot rsx all have premium sound you need to do some reading up

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I took a test drive of the TSX I brought a few of my CDs like 50-cent and some others. And that system sounds like WHOA! It is serious! All I would have to do is put a 10" sub in the trunk and call it a day. :D [

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reniece19 said:
When I took a test drive of the TSX I brought a few of my CDs like 50-cent and some others. And that system sounds like WHOA! It is serious! All I would have to do is put a 10" sub in the trunk and call it a day. :D [
better then on a lexus? ;)

G

·
I have ordered this car. But I have to disagree about the "premium" stereo. It plays loud enough and has bass, but it is very muddy bass. The doors vibrate adding a lot of noise. I'm going to add a sub so I can cut the bass from the factory speakers and let the sub do the work. This should clean it up nicely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Splashman24 said:
I have ordered this car. But I have to disagree about the "premium" stereo. It plays loud enough and has bass, but it is very muddy bass. The doors vibrate adding a lot of noise. I'm going to add a sub so I can cut the bass from the factory speakers and let the sub do the work. This should clean it up nicely.
yup...most factory systems r like that...the TL lacked good bass...added an amp and a 12" sub and it was all good :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
tsxclub said:
better then on a lexus? ;)
Well I can't speak for the Lexus because I haven't tested it out. But let's just say that referring "factory stereo" to the stereo in the TSX is an understatement.---Cuz it sure doesn't sound like ANY factory stereo that I've ever heard :D

G

·
I thought it sounded OK at best. I am some what of a audiofile and the first thing that I do to the car is replace the speakers... and then I will see whats next! If I have to put a amp or several in I will but I have to keep the factory radio so I am hoping that the speakers will help enough. Don't get me wrong, it sounded better than most. Not as good as others. but no where near what it could sound like. I have to agree.. it needs better bass but the tweeters were very weak too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would like to add that the sound system in my TSX is one of my favorite features. I have driven the Lexus ES 300 and the standard sound system does not compare to the TSX. I looked up some specs and Lexus' is less than 100W. Compare that to 360W in the TSX...

·
Banned
478 Posts
vvanicek said:
I would like to add that the sound system in my TSX is one of my favorite features. I have driven the Lexus ES 300 and the standard sound system does not compare to the TSX. I looked up some specs and Lexus' is less than 100W. Compare that to 360W in the TSX...
The Lexus rating is an RMS rating (CONTINUOUS power).

The TSX rating is a PEAK rating, so it can't be accurately compared to the Lexus rating.

The REAL output of the TSX system (RMS) is ~ 180 watts. the "CLEAN" output (below 1% THD) of it is probably significantly less.

·
Banned
478 Posts
russm said:
first of all its a 360 watt there is not type s yet and the system is great. why complain. Get your facts straight
Get YOUR "facts" straight.

The 360 watt rating is a BS "peak" rating.

REAL stereo systems are rated @ RMS (Root Mean Square, which is a CONTINUOUS rating that is generally measured @ low levels of total harmonis distortion).

So the REAL, RMS, low total harmonic distortion output of the TSX system is probably ~ 1/3 that of the peak ("360 watt") rating.:p

G

·
The amp will fit in the palm of your hand, so how much power RMS do you think it really puts out, 100 watts maybe. It not bad for a factory system but calling it 360 watts is a joke.

If you want to take a look pull out the top storage bin on the console. Just grab it by the bottom (not the door) and pull only clips are holding it in. (be careful not to scratch the silver trim which scratches too easily)

Look down and there it is.

G

·
I think the wattage number is bogus. If you look in the borchure, it says that it drives each speaker with something like 45-50 watts. So its 360 watts total (or whatever the number is.)

This is like saying my 125 watt home theater system is really a 625 watt system because its 125 watts times 5 speakers.

Another factor to consider is whether or not that is a full bandwidth rating. Most wattage ratings are only at 1kHz, though higher end systems (at least home systems) are rated from 20Hz-20kHz.

Flame away if I'm wrong. :(

·
TSX of the Month Winner
37 Posts
russm said:
all bose sound systems are standard on acuras exceot rsx all have premium sound you need to do some reading up
JUST TO CLEAR UP ANY QUESTIONS ON THE TSX SOUND SYSTEM
IT IS NOT BOSE THE HEAD UNIT ALL DEPENDING ON WHAT SUPPLY OF RADIOS WERE ON HAND IT IS GOING TO BE A PIONEER, ALPINE,CLARION OR PANASONIC. BUT ALL THE NAV SYSTEMS ARE ALPINE. THE SPEAKERS IN THE TSX ARE PIONEER EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!!! THEY SAY 360 WATTS WHICH BREAKS DOWN TO 45 WATTS PER SPEAKER. ME PERSONALY I THINK THE SYSTEM NEEDS SOME HELP BUT THATS MY OPINOIN:) IF YOU DONT BELEIVE ME PULL OUT THE HEAD UNIT LOOK AT THE STICKER ON THE BOTTOM IT WILL TELL YOU EVERYTHING. AFTER ALL I HAVE TO GET RADIO CODES EVERYTIME THEY ROLL OFF THE TRUCK.

·
Registered
51 Posts
They do not advertise the system as a Bose for one. Additionally, wattage does not necessarily mean dB. Power must increase significantly for notible sound increas. As such, there's no need to worry about a 100 vs 120 watt per channel when you're comparing a receiver, the actual dB difference will be minimal.

...ok, so people wanting to upgrade the system and keeping the head unit as is, what would you do? You note adding a sub and using a crossover on some of the speakers, but would you be using speaker-level connections there? What equipment would you use?

G

·
I have a 2002 MDX with the Bose system in it and it sounds rather flat. I am not impressed with the Bose stereo at all. Has anyone compared it to the MDX? Does it sound better? If not, I will have to plan on a stereo replacement :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts