Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Currently selling my 350Z for something more of a everyday car. Not that the TSX isnt stunning, but with all the mods on my 350Z, it attracts too much attention. If any of you are interested, the auction is at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3043996629

My consideration set was:

Acura TSX
Mazda 6
BMW 540 Cert pre owned
Audi A4

I was looking for a car that was fast enough, highly comfortable, low maint costs, look handsome and not so much of a teenager car, and handles like a champ.

The BMW was too expensive for my liking. I never liked Mazda cars and with the current recalls on the rx-8, their flagship, i was didnt even bother test drive the 6. The audi a4 was a little more money than the tsx and it was a hard decision.

I test drove the TSX in the most battle tested road course in the country, New York City! Here are my comments.

Engine/Drivetrain: The 24k motor is well balanced and does its job like champ. On local cirty streets the low end torque is perfect for stop and go traffic. But once i got onto the West Side hwy, i let the i-vtech loose and it felt great. Maybe not 350Z territory but there were soooooo many other creature comforts that I feel its worth the trade off for now. The best technical aspects of the TSX are the incredible balance and handling and the clutch. Wow, the clutch feels the same as the accelerator. In the Z it is about 5 times harder to press the clutch. A real pain in stop and go traffic.

Interior: unbelievable. i sat in the CL at the dealership and the TSX interior is better. The only gripe i have with the TSX is the sunroof controls. These are the identical to what I had in my 1995 Civic! tsk tsk acura! I blasted the 360watt stereo and it will be more than suffice for me. It is much better than the Bose systems found in a lot of other cars.

Handling: Even though the TSX weighs the same as the 350Z, it feels so much lighter. In everyday situations, I take the TSX. With some Tein coilovers this car is going to stick and move like NA Japanese race car.

Overall I am happy with the switch and i think the tsx is a wonderful bargain. I cannot wait to get the car delivered in October. I am going to fight the urge and keep my car stock. Leased for 36 months. Maybe the 24ka motor will be out in 2005 in a TSX-S???

·
Registered
13 Posts
good luck with the auction.

my advice: new A4 1.8T's are severely underpowered. attractive interior, but power and handling are absolutely horrible. consider a MB c230/240.. or even a c32! awesome chassis, handling, decent power, classy interior. but tsx would be a good choice... im surprised you haven't looked at the new saab 9-3 sport sedans. linear - decent power, good handling, sweet exterior design, cool bodykit/spoiler... arc - just better all around. 540i would be sweet, too... but don't ya think it's too old in design?

heh i hope i don't get yelled at by the tsx crowd for recommending a car other than a tsx.

·
Registered
954 Posts
freeride149 said:
good luck with the auction.

my advice: new A4 1.8T's are severely underpowered. attractive interior, but power and handling are absolutely horrible. consider a MB c230/240.. or even a c32! awesome chassis, handling, decent power, classy interior. but tsx would be a good choice... im surprised you haven't looked at the new saab 9-3 sport sedans. linear - decent power, good handling, sweet exterior design, cool bodykit/spoiler... arc - just better all around. 540i would be sweet, too... but don't ya think it's too old in design?

heh i hope i don't get yelled at by the tsx crowd for recommending a car other than a tsx.
Well, here's my take on the cars you recommended...

Anything from MB will be way more expensive comparably equipped as the TSX.... plus reliability has been suspect of late on all their models. Luxurious is an understatement, however, in most of their cars.

Saabs look nice, but I'm not really a turbo fan. Again, comparably equipped, it's more expensive than the TSX.

540i... well, the new 5-series just came out, but if you're talking about the previous model... it may be an old design, but it was still the benchmark for large sport sedans.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah, c230/240 will cost ya a few grand more, but if you're shopping in the 30k range for a sportsedan, why not?

i just like saabs... that's why i suggested it... although the new 9-3ss's are more GM than saab. but i gotta point out, comparably equipped, 9-3 may be a bit more expensive, but 9-3 offers options that tsx doesn't have. so really, it's up to the buyers' taste/needs...

haha i take it from not rebutting my view on the new a4 1.8T that you agree with me.

·
Registered
954 Posts
freeride149 said:
yeah, c230/240 will cost ya a few grand more, but if you're shopping in the 30k range for a sportsedan, why not?

i just like saabs... that's why i suggested it... although the new 9-3ss's are more GM than saab. but i gotta point out, comparably equipped, 9-3 may be a bit more expensive, but 9-3 offers options that tsx doesn't have. so really, it's up to the buyers' taste/needs...

haha i take it from not rebutting my view on the new a4 1.8T that you agree with me.
I guess... but the TSX is less than $30k. If I was going to spend C-Class money, I'd seriously consider the Infiniti G35.

Like I said, Saabs are nice looking, but more expensive and has turbo. Also, not sure about the reliability. What options does it have that the TSX doesn't offer?

Actually, I liked the A4 when they first came out, but I'm not sure if I like the current style... plus there's the turbo again. Also, reliability is a question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah, i know tsx is under 30k, which is what's attracting me...besides the car itself, of course...
well, saab is just unique... active head restraint, headline washer, re axes, and saab turbos are pretty damn reliable, mm.. let's see, what else... oh, saab car computer (driver profiler), night dash mode (where you can turn off all unnecessary lights on the dash at night), electronic brake distribution, power passenger seat, driver memory seat, DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS!!!.. heh kidding... and um... lil things like pre-drilled roofrack holes with cover, folding rear seats with "triggers" in the trunk, cooled glovebox (for storing a sixpack of be...soda)... i dunno, im probably leaving out a few things.

tsx offers cool navi... nice 6spd mt... and clean interior.

please feel free to enlighten me of the tsx's features.

·
Registered
954 Posts
freeride149 said:
yeah, i know tsx is under 30k, which is what's attracting me...besides the car itself, of course...
well, saab is just unique... active head restraint, headline washer, re axes, and saab turbos are pretty damn reliable, mm.. let's see, what else... oh, saab car computer (driver profiler), night dash mode (where you can turn off all unnecessary lights on the dash at night), electronic brake distribution, power passenger seat, driver memory seat, DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS!!!.. heh kidding... and um... lil things like pre-drilled roofrack holes with cover, folding rear seats with "triggers" in the trunk, cooled glovebox (for storing a sixpack of be...soda)... i dunno, im probably leaving out a few things.

tsx offers cool navi... nice 6spd mt... and clean interior.

please feel free to enlighten me of the tsx's features.
Hmmm, well, for sure the TSX doesn't have all those features (what's "re axes"?). I do think that the TSX rear seats fold down as well with "triggers" in the trunk.

Yes, it looks like overall, the Saab does offer more features/options than the TSX. Here are the few TSX features/options that I could not find available on the Saab: Universal remote transmitter, automatic climate control and six CD changer.

I haven't seen any crash test results yet for either car, so I can't comment on whether the additional safety features in the Saab make any difference.

Although the turbo on Saabs may be more reliable than those on other cars, turbochargers can become problematic with age. In addition, there's usually a lag on turbo engines.

Like I said before, I do like the look of the Saabs... I guess when it comes down to it, you'd have to decide if the higher price is worth the additional options and the turbo engine. Overall reliability would be another factor, as I believe the TSX will be better than the Saab in that respect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
gotcha.

re axes is basically 4 wheel steering. the rear wheels on the 9-3ss's move slight to assist in turning.

6 disc in dash cd changer and dual zone automatic climate control are available for linear, standard on arcs.

just wanted to let ya know...

appreciate your input. i'll send you a flower basket when/if i get a tsx.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
31 Posts
freeride149 said:

im sorry but i just had to say something.
just look at the article in the new Automobile Magazine and you'll see that the saab didn't rank very high in the vehicles under 30k.
it actually finished 9th out of 12. TSX finished 1st.:D Plus (sorry freeride149) but it's not a good looking car by any means. That's just my opinion, but i can say without a doubt that the TSX is one of the nicest cars out right now for the money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yunit-

nothing to be sorry about.. im leaning towards getting a tsx... but see, the tests aren't too fair, because 9-3s are more of mid 30k sportsedan. the entry level linear has limited options and small turbo to offer a low price.

im pretty sure i'll be driving a tsx in a week or so.. unless saab just offers unbelievable lease rates.

which reminds me, those who leased, what are you paying? (12k or 15k / year? down payment? length?)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts