Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am fairly new to this community. I got A 6MT 07 tsx that I bought back in November (6months ago) and I love the car! Always enjoy driving it and never had a problem until yesterday. I always engage my clutch all the way and as I was pulling my car from 2nd to 3rd it grinds and ever since then it’s been doing it non stop. It’s only happening when I was in high rpm abojt 5k rpms. If I down shift from 4th to 3rd it doesn’t do it though unless I am at a high rate of speed and try downshifting and it will do it again. When I am city driving or not pulling the car it goes into it very smoothly. Idk what’s going on I’m checking all over and before I even think abojt bringing it to a shop and spending thousands to get it fixed I want to know is there anything I can try to fix it that might help? From other forums I found its saying it might need a clutch adjustment and from other it’s saying if you have a cold air intake installed it might be hitting the shifter cable. I’m not sure yet and like I said I want to try some thing before I spend all this money to fix it. Also I never had changed the transmission fluid since I got it so will that might be a solution if I change it? Also what’s the best gear oil for the transmission and what weight do I buy?

·
Registered
137 Posts
For tranny fluid, if you don't know what's in there you definitely better put in some oem honda fluid, or a quality premium fluid like Redline MTL. I've run both, the redline seems a bit smoother. But random cheap fluid will not work well at all. Also low fluid is obviously not good either. For redline you want 75W80 MTL GL-4

Might be a linkage adjustment issue or a bad motor-mount. Definitely take a look at the shift linkages and make sure there's nothing loose, touching, or flopping around near them (including any aftermarket hardware). Also you can wiggle them to see if they seem loose.

Motor mount issues seem to vary with torque and sometimes if the car is in a turn or driving straight.

Does it shift smoothly and immediately into reverse when you're standing still? If it grinds going into reverse (no synchro on R) then there's a clutch issue or slave/master issue.

Are there any drops of oil on the carpet under the clutch pedal? That would be a leaky master. You can easily inspect the slave from the top of the motor with a flashlight. Also check the clutch fluid level if you didn't already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For tranny fluid, if you don't know what's in there you definitely better put in some oem honda fluid, or a quality premium fluid like Redline MTL. I've run both, the redline seems a bit smoother. But random cheap fluid will not work well at all. Also low fluid is obviously not good either. For redline you want 75W80 MTL GL-4

Might be a linkage adjustment issue or a bad motor-mount. Definitely take a look at the shift linkages and make sure there's nothing loose, touching, or flopping around near them (including any aftermarket hardware). Also you can wiggle them to see if they seem loose.

Motor mount issues seem to vary with torque and sometimes if the car is in a turn or driving straight.

Does it shift smoothly and immediately into reverse when you're standing still? If it grinds going into reverse (no synchro on R) then there's a clutch issue or slave/master issue.

Are there any drops of oil on the carpet under the clutch pedal? That would be a leaky master. You can easily inspect the slave from the top of the motor with a flashlight. Also check the clutch fluid level if you didn't already.
So I just got the oem honda fluid from a friend that works at a dealer. Just gonna change the fluid this weekend and wish for the best because who knows how long or what’s in there. Yes every gear is smooth like butter it’s only third and I never grinder or heated the car like that. I’m going to check the fluid in the slave and make sure nothing is leaking

·
Registered
73 Posts
Change the fluids.
Buy a Clutch master and slave without a delay valve.
Buy an aftermarket hasport (at least rear) engine mount.
Buy aftermarket shifter cable bushings.

I was having these downshift grind problems on my tsx and my civic si. I did the above upgrades and now I NEVER grind

Go through the cheapest options first to see how quickly you will fall in love with a real honda shifter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts