Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt my house shake for a few seconds this morning... Did anyone else feel the quake?

It hit Ottawa, IL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Local News
Earthquake hits Ottawa
Many in Midwest feel the tremble

OTTAWA -- A brief earthquake struck the Midwest early Monday, rattling windows and awakening sleeping residents from
Wisconsin south to Missouri and from southwestern Michigan west
to Iowa.

No injuries were reported from the quake, which occurred
about 1:11 a.m.

Brian Lassige, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Colorado, said the quake was magnitude 4.5, and its epicenter was about eight miles northwest of Ottawa in northern Illinois, close to the small village of Troy Grove. The rural area is about 80 miles south of Rockford.

Lassige said earthquakes in that area are rare but have occurred before. He said quakes have been recorded there in 1881, 1912 and 1972.

The geological survey said the three-second quake occurred at a depth of 3.1 miles in a structure associated with the Sandwich Fault Zone. It was not connected with the New Madrid Fault further south, which has been responsible for the Midwest's most serious earthquakes.

Initial reports indicated no major damage from the temblor, although police agencies and radio stations within the quake area were inundated with telephone calls.

The quake was felt at three nuclear power plants in Illinois: Quad Cities, LaSalle and Dresden.

Source: Rockford Register Star
http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040628/NEWS/40628002

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Some years ago we had one around here that was just a little less, I think 4.3, and I remember exactly how it was: A long rumbling sound, like mild thunder that just kept going, together with some mild vibration. People across a bit of area (at least 20 miles) felt it the same way.

How far apart are you guys?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
larchmont said:
Some years ago we had one around here that was just a little less, I think 4.3, and I remember exactly how it was: A long rumbling sound, like mild thunder that just kept going, together with some mild vibration. People across a bit of area (at least 20 miles) felt it the same way.

How far apart are you guys?
about 75 miles

Ottawa, IL is actually closer to Aurora/Naperville than Rockford is...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
didnt feel anything but I was asleep. People in my area did though

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
crazy weather lately. There was a total of 7 tornadoes in my city last week. Very little damage though. One house totally gone. One person there died. Another with a garage ripped off and the rest is trees and power lines and minor building damage even though it went through the main part of the downtown area.

stick through the side of a building :shock:

It amazes me that the stick doesn't just smash against the wall more then the fact that the storm has the power to do it.

follow the center bar down titled storm damage for a couple of slide shows showing damage and the tornados themselves.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/3454057/detail.html

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tony4311 said:
crazy weather lately. There was a total of 7 tornadoes in my city last week. Very little damage though. One house totally gone. One person there died. Another with a garage ripped off and the rest is trees and power lines and minor building damage even though it went through the main part of the downtown area.

stick through the side of a building :shock:

It amazes me that the stick doesn't just smash against the wall more then the fact that the storm has the power to do it.

follow the center bar down titled storm damage for a couple of slide shows showing damage and the tornados themselves.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/3454057/detail.html
Holy!!! :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.