Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem started back in February and over the course of 5 times to the dealer, 10 days in the shop, and over 10 hours on the phone/waiting/taking the car to the shop, it is STILL not fixed. I have lost my patience with this issue (no A/C and poor customer service from the dealer) and I need help. Here's the rundown...

2004 TSX 6 speed manual with 107,000 miles when the problem started. Always taken in for regular scheduled maintenance. Now has 113,000 miles on it 4 and a half months after the problem began.

Symptom: A/C stopped blowing cold air.

Feb 1 - "Severely Leaking discharge hose" for the A/C was replaced. System was drained and recharged. $566. AC tested and was blowing 36 degrees at the vent. Of course, at that time of year it was warm in Texas the week before (which is why the A/C was on) and then we had one of the coldest days of the year when I took it to be repaired.

Feb 18 - A/C not blowing cold and when idling, the RPMs would drop REALLY low when the AC kicked on so they drained and recharged the system. They found the compressor to be over-cycling, freon levels to be normal, completed deep vacuum to remove any moisture. "System normal. If problem persists will need to replace condenser and possibly compressor."

March 14 - Intermittently not blowing cold so the problem couldn't be diagnosed because it couldn't be recreated.

April 7th and 8th - Intermittently not blowing cold because the "A/C clutch and coil set burned up" and was replaced. $826, reduced to $600 when I complained.

April 15th - Intermittently not blowing cold but not taken in for repairs until May 27th because I was busy/out of town - Thermal Protector Set "intermittent fault", it was replaced. "A/C working to factory specification" "Goodwill gesture" so it didn't cost me anything for the repair. Acura tech line advised these repairs.

I picked my car up on June 3rd. By June 6th, the A/C had started blowing warm again but would still get down to the 40s when the A/C was on low. Now, by June 11th, the A/C blows between 65 and 105 (it's Texas and it's hot outside these days).

I need help. Please someone educated me to A/C units and how they work. Do these repairs sound plausible? What else could cause this problem? A broken compressor? A leak in the system?

How much does it typically cost to replace the whole thing?

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
I feel that with the amount of miles you have, its probably the compressor. That would have been the first thing I would have guessed. I would buy one from a an online site/OEM acura website/eBay (~$200+) and find a third party mechanic to install. With parts and labor it should be less than $400. The dealer will always ripe you off.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
From the get go you should have had them check the ac system thoughroly so that way they can eliminate certain thing and keep on till they find what's the real problem causing the issues... that way you would of just paid 1 bill and that's it.... but like stated above some dealers are crooks... so your best bet is to take it to a reputable shop.... I would also call acura corporate and expalin to them what happen and that the dealer charged you for something that's not working....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Call the Acura customer service. Not through the dealership.

Explain that you have put in $1200 worth of repairs, and the a/c is still not working. See if they will help. Do you have another Acura dealership that is close to where you live, because I wouldn't want the original dealership to work on my system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I questioned the diagnosis and was told that the first two repairs (discharge hose and clutch/coil set) were necessary and the Acura tech line advised the third repair (thermal protector). I have no way of proving any of those repairs were misdiagnosed.

Acura customer care says this is a dealer complaint and that I need to take it up with the dealer. The dealer says "your car is old and old components break down" and that I have a "mistrust of the diagnosis" because the very first time I took it in I asked to see the hose they replaced. Then they offered to help put me in a new car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just told that the compressor is getting material in the lines and the condenser, compressor, and one of the lines needs to be replaced. Does this make sense?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts