Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those of you running the gear and a mechanical stop from either blueprint or traktuff (can't remember the name) which stopper did you end up getting.

i know the old hondata k-series tech article stated no less than 25deg for a car with a i/h/exhaust setup. so the question is how much advancement do you need, and how much should you potentially need down the road? i think BP said they still have the 30 and 35 in stock, but i'd have to go to the other vendor for a 40.

fyi, my TSX is an 07 with i/h/hi-flo cat and hopefully a 2.5" exhaust eventually.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I have the BP limiter 40 Degree (blueprint) and it stops at 40. Which, I have seen my cmd cam and actual cam (1 to 2 degree higher then cmd cam) differ a few times while tuning it with VitViper. I also only have the CT-E header and wow! I can't see that much gain with a HFC and Exhaust install after this passed tune. One thing to watch is your injectors...you start to run lean with all those items and even I am thinking of RDX injectors after I have my HFC and Exhaust installed.

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
I have the BP limiter 40 Degree (blueprint) and it stops at 40. Which, I have seen my cmd cam and actual cam (1 to 2 degree higher then cmd cam) differ a few times while tuning it with VitViper. I also only have the CT-E header and wow! I can't see that much gain with a HFC and Exhaust install after this passed tune. One thing to watch is your injectors...you start to run lean with all those items and even I am thinking of RDX injectors after I have my HFC and Exhaust installed.
RDX Inj :tu: Im running those..

·
Registered
72 Posts
U don't even need the stopper thing I have the 50* vtc in with no stopper and works just fine. It will not go farther than the ecu tells it to. And with my tune after 6000 rpm the advancement starts to go back down to 30* till redline. My tuner and sevral other people on here said it's absolutly fine to run it with no stopper especially on 07-08 cuz there is more valve to piston clearance.

·
Triple Platinum Member
601 Posts
U don't even need the stopper thing I have the 50* vtc in with no stopper and works just fine. It will not go farther than the ecu tells it to
That is not true. If you knew how the VTC system worked, you would not say that.

Even if the ECU's control was perfect, if your VTC solenoid got stuck feeding oil into the advance chamber, it is going to max advance. OEM's design for reliability, and this explains why they would tolerate the additional cost of manufacturing 2 different gears.

And with my tune after 6000 rpm the advancement starts to go back down to 30* till redline. My tuner and sevral other people on here said it's absolutly fine to run it with no stopper especially on 07-08 cuz there is more valve to piston clearance.
The 09 cam gear and 09 intake cam are going into my 04. Unless you have a car that came with a 50* VTC to begin with, the stop is very cheap insurance.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so apparently BP only has 30 and 35 now, traktuff only has it up to 40*.

would i be missing out on that extra 5*? the only option for a 45* is to get a pinned one from Hytech.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
so apparently BP only has 30 and 35 now, traktuff only has it up to 40*.

would i be missing out on that extra 5*? the only option for a 45* is to get a pinned one from Hytech.
I have the 40 and love it...sure you could add more, but no idea how much extra that would yeild....

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so i ended up getting a new vtc intake cam gear and i'm planning to have hytech pin it at 45*.

originally i was just going to drop this in, get it tuned and leave it at that. but now, no thanks to feuss2, i'm toying with the idea of getting kelford cams since i have to crack open the valve cover anyways.

so the question now is, would the net gains of adding 179-A with the vtc cam gear be worth it based on the the mods i have?
CTE header/intake
RT cat
stock exhaust (predicting the bottleneck here)
UR pulleys
heatshield gasket
TB spacer/gaskets
flashpro

i think i saw one thread on 8th gen civic of a car running these cams some basic bolt-ons and a stock exhaust, and still making good power and torque.

and do you think an e-tune would be serviceable or is a dyno tune a must? this budget list is just getting bigger and bigger. i wish all of this was available before i had 2 kids. haha.

·
Registered
248 Posts
so i ended up getting a new vtc intake cam gear and i'm planning to have hytech pin it at 45*.

originally i was just going to drop this in, get it tuned and leave it at that. but now, no thanks to feuss2, i'm toying with the idea of getting kelford cams since i have to crack open the valve cover anyways.

so the question now is, would the net gains of adding 179-A with the vtc cam gear be worth it based on the the mods i have?
CTE header/intake
RT cat
stock exhaust (predicting the bottleneck here)
UR pulleys
heatshield gasket
TB spacer/gaskets
flashpro

i think i saw one thread on 8th gen civic of a car running these cams some basic bolt-ons and a stock exhaust, and still making good power and torque.

and do you think an e-tune would be serviceable or is a dyno tune a must? this budget list is just getting bigger and bigger. i wish all of this was available before i had 2 kids. haha.
be careful with 179-A - this cams has problems with centrilines being off ;)

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
be careful with 179-A - this cams has problems with centrilines being off ;)
i read that thread. and it seems like they still haven't figured out what exactly is wrong with it.

so does kelford actually have batch numbers now? there must be sets out there that work correctly, no?

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so do Honda actually make a 45* VTC ???
no. it's 50*. you either have to get a mechanical stop which some vendors sell, or have someone professionally pin it. from what i've read, machining the TSX gear (25*), although usable, isn't recommended given how precise it needs to be.

·
Registered
721 Posts
what do these mechanical stops actually look like then?

like a sort of orange segment shape? to fit in the end of the chamber

can you fit them in yourself or do they need pressing in or something?

just seems to me it would be loose in the chamber? or isit a nice snug fit?

or have i got the wrong idea how it works?

anyone got a picture? or a link?

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what do these mechanical stops actually look like then?

like a sort of orange segment shape? to fit in the end of the chamber

can you fit them in yourself or do they need pressing in or something?

just seems to me it would be loose in the chamber? or isit a nice snug fit?

or have i got the wrong idea how it works?

anyone got a picture? or a link?
TracTuff K Series VTC Limiter

this kit lets you diy. they don't have a 45* as they're still testing the pin given how narrow it is. they're worried about how it'll hold up. it gives you all the tools to open the gear and put the stop in. this should be pretty much identical to the one blueprint racing offered late last year.

the other option is getting hytech to pin it for you in case you'd prefer that route.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts