Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just want to check something before i order it.

are there different types of the 50* VTC gear?

is it the RBC 50* VTC gear i need for the 06+ TSX intake cam

just want to check thanks :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Pretty sure they only make two types of vtc the 25 & 50. The 50s I have seen do yes do say RBC on them.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
If your get a 50* make sure you get it pinned so you do not run into clearance issues. The max recommend VTC movement is 45*.

Some guys do run 50* on the k24a2 but the clearances are very tight.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
But with a proper tune this shouldn't be a problem. There are many that have relied on the tune alone and I haven't found anyone on the boards that has had a problem. Either way it is cheap insurance for someone that feels the need.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For everyone else this has been talked about alot.

If you knew how the VTC worked you would use a mechanical stop .

·
Registered
264 Posts
Re

Im sure the 50* on the cu2 is different to the rbc 50* VTC.

Want to make sure I ask for the correct one.
Their PN includes R40 in it but, it still mentions 46 teeth wheel. I wonder if it is not because they are slightly phased from a RBC.

14310-R40-A01 ACTUATOR ASSY., VTC (46T) 2012 TSX

14310-RBB-003 ACTUATOR ASSY., VTC (46T) 2007 TSX

14310-RBC-003 ACTUATOR ASSY., VTC (46T) 2006 RSX

All have 46 teeth but, they have different PN. For sure what everyone is talking about is the RBC. I also know the 09-12 TSX cam is phased compared to the 04-08 TSX cam so, there might be a difference in where in the cycle this phasing is applied.

Please someone chime in!

J~

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
But with a proper tune this shouldn't be a problem. There are many that have relied on the tune alone and I haven't found anyone on the boards that has had a problem. Either way it is cheap insurance for someone that feels the need.

Tune has nothing to do with it, a clearance is a clearance. There is a spec sheet out there somewhere that explains the clearances, they are too tight with a 50* VTC.

cant you run the 50 and not have it pinned or machine because the ecu tell it how many degrees to run?
No you cannot rely on the ECU to determine the degree, It is not perfect and can fluctuate.

You want the RBC: 14310-RBC-003 ACTUATOR ASSY., VTC (46T) 2006 RSX

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/honda-genuine-vtc-actuator-rsx-s-k20-ivtec.html

Personally I would just buy another 25* tsx gear and send it to hytech or a similar shop and have it machined to 45*.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I have a whole thread on this in the tuning section. I put a 40* stopper in mine and works fine.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Last time I spoke to someone at hytech they weren't machining anymore because it changed the oil flow through it and had the potential to cause more problems then it stopped. They do still pin 50s to what ever degree you want, but with them charging almost $250 for a $100 part it makes me think they aren't selling them much because its a mod that isn't needed. If you read around k20a.org where people do more than wheels and tires there are many k24s running the rbc 50s with no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Last time I spoke to someone at hytech they weren't machining anymore because it changed the oil flow through it and had the potential to cause more problems then it stopped. They do still pin 50s to what ever degree you want, but with them charging almost $250 for a $100 part it makes me think they aren't selling them much because its a mod that isn't needed. If you read around k20a.org where people do more than wheels and tires there are many k24s running the rbc 50s with no problems.

They run different heads, not an a2 head. Most guys use the a2 block and k20z head. Clearances are different.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Last time I spoke to someone at hytech they weren't machining anymore because it changed the oil flow through it and had the potential to cause more problems then it stopped.
Looking at the VTC gear, there is an obvious reason for what you mentions. On the gear itself, there is 4 stoppers for the rotation but, only one gets in contact. This is to keep a small film of oil between the three stoppers left. This extra film kept there ensures the oil pressure will be built in the mechanism. If all the 4 stoppers were touching, no oil can go inside the VTC thus creating problems (No rotation). To avoid this problem, it is possible to shave the 25° VTC but, some more thousands should be shaved from the 3 others as well. I am not sure if it is the only reason but, this is one that can give a lot of issues.

·
Triple Platinum Member
603 Posts
Looking at the VTC gear, there is an obvious reason for what you mentions. On the gear itself, there is 4 stoppers for the rotation but, only one gets in contact. This is to keep a small film of oil between the three stoppers left. This extra film kept there ensures the oil pressure will be built in the mechanism. If all the 4 stoppers were touching, no oil can go inside the VTC thus creating problems (No rotation). To avoid this problem, it is possible to shave the 25° VTC but, some more thousands should be shaved from the 3 others as well. I am not sure if it is the only reason but, this is one that can give a lot of issues.
Just get a 50 degree gear pinned and call it a day! This is such a small cost compared to cams, valve train, etc, why cheap out on it and have issues...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
not that i have seen after looking around this site and K20a.org

This months Honda Tuning magazine further agrees with what i said previously that a 50* VTC that is properly tuned will not have a problem. Although in the mag they did use a machined vtc gear, The writter Doug Macmillan (founder of Hondata) went on to say...

"For my engine, I used a camshaft limited to maximum of 45 degree. Measurements on my engine show there shouldnt be any valve to valve or valve to piston contact at 50 degrees advance."

"The 06-08 TSX engines use a piston with slightly deeper valve cutout, and because of this, they carry slightly more clearance."

This motor that he is speaking of was the same that was originally tuned by Import Tuner Magazine in June 2012 that reached a peak power of 252hp and 204lb ft tq. (2004 motor w 06+intake cam, header, exhaust, vtc, and rbc intake)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later