Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO, a six cylinder would be nice! If this car is hoping to compete with BMW 3 series, IS300, etc. it should have a six in it. Not so much for a high HP number, but for the better low end torque it would provide. I think that revving the thing to 5000RPM to just keep up with traffic would be a turnoff on a car like this. If the car was lighter, it would be a different story, but it weighs in the neighborhood of 3100 LB. Try putting 4 people in it, and you would have to rev the crap out of the engine just to merge on the highway. The only problem with that, is that when Honda designed the car for Japan and Europe, it designed it for a 4 banger, not a 6... I'm not sure a 6 would fit. What does everyone think?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
vtecfreak said:
IMO, a six cylinder would be nice! If this car is hoping to compete with BMW 3 series, IS300, etc. it should have a six in it. Not so much for a high HP number, but for the better low end torque it would provide. I think that revving the thing to 5000RPM to just keep up with traffic would be a turnoff on a car like this. If the car was lighter, it would be a different story, but it weighs in the neighborhood of 3100 LB. Try putting 4 people in it, and you would have to rev the crap out of the engine just to merge on the highway. The only problem with that, is that when Honda designed the car for Japan and Europe, it designed it for a 4 banger, not a 6... I'm not sure a 6 would fit. What does everyone think?
I agree a 6 cylinder would make this car much better.. My Maxima is 6cylinder and when merging on to the highway i have to sometimes rev the engine with 4 people in the car i can imagine what will heppen with the tsx.. The tsx can forget about competing with the 3 series bimmer i dont think it was even made to do that the bimmer is a much better car and costs $38,000 :D, has less horsepower and a better engine!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
i think a better match for the BMW 325 (2.5L I6 184 HP)or even (530) 3.0L I6 225 HP would be the
CL 3.2L V6 225 HP or CL -S 3.2L V6 260 HP

both of which sold for less than the BMW 325 :cool:

so its HONDA all the way

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ralco,
Both of the cars you spoke about are very good, but have you ever driven a BMW? There's a reason they are more expensive. That reason is control feel! What I mean by that, is that the BMW is rear wheel drive, has the best handling suspension of ANY other sedan, excellent brakes, and steering. The engines don't have the ultimate output of the Acura counterparts, but they have a broader powerband than the others. This results in a quicker, and better feeling car in everyday driving. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not bashing any Honda product, I've owned 3, and always been very happy. One thing they have that BMW doesn't is reliability. European cars in general seem to be a little more delicate; for example, a few years ago BMW used a water pump with a plastic impeller... With age (40-50K) it would become brittle, and shatter. The result was a dead engine!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
i own a 1998 528i BMW you are right
driving it you feel like your glood to the roud and i love it
but just last week i changed the thermostate and the water pump for the theird time in one years time and dont get me started with the electical problems and how much the dealer charged me my friend owns a honda accord much less
head ache :)

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
I agree bimmers are ok cars but the electrical problems are really annoying.. most people dont buy used bimmers because of that. ;) Brand new one with Factory warrante is a good deal.

·
GT40 enthusiast
163 Posts
Gotta love those lights...and the possiblity of a 1series coming out soon....!!!! Man Bimmers are da Bomb!!!:D

Attachments

·
Banned
478 Posts
vtecfreak said:
Ralco,
Both of the cars you spoke about are very good, but have you ever driven a BMW? There's a reason they are more expensive. That reason is control feel! What I mean by that, is that the BMW is rear wheel drive, has the best handling suspension of ANY other sedan, excellent brakes, and steering. The engines don't have the ultimate output of the Acura counterparts, but they have a broader powerband than the others. This results in a quicker, and better feeling car in everyday driving. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not bashing any Honda product, I've owned 3, and always been very happy. One thing they have that BMW doesn't is reliability. European cars in general seem to be a little more delicate; for example, a few years ago BMW used a water pump with a plastic impeller... With age (40-50K) it would become brittle, and shatter. The result was a dead engine!
The M3 is the engine which used the plastic pump.

Be careful about mentioning PERFORMANCE on this site. A lot of people seem to get upset when that topic is discussed, claiming that it's not relevent (in what is being advertised as a luxury/PERFORMANCE sedan).

They also get upset about fuel economy discussions.

For example, the 4 cylinder/5 speed Accord EX with leather uses the same BASIC DOHC/16 valve, 2.4 liter 4 cyl. engine as the TSX, but it gets 26 city/34 highway on REGULAR (87 octane) gas. Despite it's higher compression ratio (which enhances thermo efficiency), lower backpressure exhaust and "tuned intake" (both of which SHOULD enchance volumetric efficiency), the TSX 6 speed gets just 21/29!!!!!!! And that's on 91 octane (or better) PREMIUM fuel, which it REQUIRES! And that's DESPITE the fact that the TSX has an extra gear to paly with (6 vs 5) and is a mere 183 pounds heavier.:eek:

(All MPH figures are per the EPA/window stickers.):D

·
Banned
478 Posts
NIGHTHAWK-TSX said:
IMO I would prefer a Mercedes Benz over a BMW. BMW does have the edge in the handling dept. but the Mercedes edges it out in refinement.
MB's reliablity has gone to hell in the last few years. Check out CONSUMER REPORTS. Where are you getting your "refinement" information?:confused: :rolleyes:

·
Banned
478 Posts
vtecfreak said:
I agree with you 99%. (The TSX weighs ~ 3,230 (6 speed/no nav) - 3,329 pounds (auto with Nav.)

The Accord V6 (240 HP and a LOT more torque) is a VASTLY better performing car in the REAL world.:D

A small intercooled turbo in the TSX would have done wonders...:cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
not needed

I disagree with all of you. I had my TSX loaded full of luggage and was still smoking other cars with only revving up to 3000 rpms. A 6 cylinder would be nice but it isnt necessary. If you supped it up with a huge engine you'd change the concept of the car. It's supposed to be a sleek, smooth, quiet, luxury sports sedan.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Re: not needed

Equ222 said:
I disagree with all of you. I had my TSX loaded full of luggage and was still smoking other cars with only revving up to 3000 rpms. A 6 cylinder would be nice but it isnt necessary. If you supped it up with a huge engine you'd change the concept of the car. It's supposed to be a sleek, smooth, quiet, luxury sports sedan.
Question:

What kind of drugs are you on?:confused: :rolleyes:

A 4 cylinder Accord is EVERY BIT AS FAST as the TSX until you cross the ~ 5,500 RPM mark...

So I guess 4 cylinder Accords are super fast cars.

Have you smoked a Z28 yet?:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea, a six, or some sort of factory turbo to enhance the four would be nice, I mean for a midsize, I would almost expect a six cylinder option these days

·
Registered
954 Posts
PollackRacer21 said:
Yea, a six, or some sort of factory turbo to enhance the four would be nice, I mean for a midsize, I would almost expect a six cylinder option these days
Acura would have to redesign the TSX if the wanted to go with a six cylinder engine. For one thing, I'm not sure if one would even fit... not to mention that any additional weight would worsen the handling. Even mileage would be affected.

With the new TL coming out (smaller and more performance than the current one), anyone wanting a six-cylinder engine would opt for it.

Forget about turbo. Honda/Acura doesn't seem to be interested in going that route. They like to go with normally-aspirated engines and utilize VTEC to enhance performance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 4 banger is the only thing i dont like about my tsx..but i also dont think that a 6 would fit in it and yes it would affect other things...however i was watching the autoshow on ESPN and they said that next year there will be an available inline 6..so i guesss we will see...personaly i will be leaning towards an aftermarket tubro

·
Registered
954 Posts
Acura_TSX_2245 said:
The 4 banger is the only thing i dont like about my tsx..but i also dont think that a 6 would fit in it and yes it would affect other things...however i was watching the autoshow on ESPN and they said that next year there will be an available inline 6..so i guesss we will see...personaly i will be leaning towards an aftermarket tubro
An inline 6 for the TSX?! Hmmm, hard to believe considering that Honda/Acura has never had an inline 6 in any of their cars. This must be a brand new engine.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
An inline 6... I don't know if that would fit, I would think a v6 would fit easier, or like was suggested putting a turbo or supercharger would have the same effect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
if you wanted a v6 you should have bought the TL or AccordV6 IMO.
i like 4 bangers...turbo would be nice tho...think 2007 tsx will be turbo 4banger w/250ish hp

1 - 20 of 22 Posts