Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm posting this as a last resort to salvage my OEM 6-Disc.

Last couple of weeks my CD changer has been making a CONSTANT noise, as if a disc were stuck in the changer. I can't choose the CD option or insert a CD in the player.

The funny thing is I don't use it, I have an 06 so I use the aux port for all my music. It just started randomly doing this. Could there be an old CD maybe from the previous owner stuck in there somehow, or has my mechanism just gone bad and the unit needs to be replaced? The constant clicking noise is driving me insane.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated on what I could do. Could i take it apart to see if something is jammed in there? anyone done this before?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I know I spoke to you about this yesterday but I wanted to add a little more.

I worked for Sound Advice selling and installing car audio for a few years when I was younger. So naturally we would come across stock changers that were having similar issues as what you have stated. 100% of the time it was an easy sell for an aftermarket head unit. After the install, i would say over 80% of the time the customer would leave the stock changer at our shop because they didn't have a use for it, so when there was downtime we would tinker w them. Most of the time there were CDs left in them that had gotten lodged somehow in a way that would cause a failure. Every time we were able to get the CDs out and possibly find where the problem originated. We were NEVER able to fix a single one. Because of all the pieces typically being made of plastic, or gears made out of very light gauge metal, when a cd gets lodged, it breaks tiny pieces in the changer itself, which then creates shrapnel in the unit which causes further damage. With that said, you can take it apart and get the CDs out, but putting it back together and have it work is going to be something short of miraculous. Good Luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
107 Posts
is it possible to get it so that it can atleast play one cd? my changer jammed also but honestly I dont care about a changer, if it would play just one cd id be happy as heck

also if this is possible could someone lead me to a write up on how to remove the headunit? ive honestly looked and cant find one thats clear enough to give me the confidence to try.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Anything is possible...but honestly, making a non working cd changer into a working one would be a trick I have yet to see done. If it doesn't work your going to need a working unit to swap out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
hmm, well if i got a new unit would you be able to explain how to put it in???? :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I spoke to you about this yesterday but I wanted to add a little more.

I worked for Sound Advice selling and installing car audio for a few years when I was younger. So naturally we would come across stock changers that were having similar issues as what you have stated. 100% of the time it was an easy sell for an aftermarket head unit. After the install, i would say over 80% of the time the customer would leave the stock changer at our shop because they didn't have a use for it, so when there was downtime we would tinker w them. Most of the time there were CDs left in them that had gotten lodged somehow in a way that would cause a failure. Every time we were able to get the CDs out and possibly find where the problem originated. We were NEVER able to fix a single one. Because of all the pieces typically being made of plastic, or gears made out of very light gauge metal, when a cd gets lodged, it breaks tiny pieces in the changer itself, which then creates shrapnel in the unit which causes further damage. With that said, you can take it apart and get the CDs out, but putting it back together and have it work is going to be something short of miraculous. Good Luck.

I appreciate the sound advice - it sounds pretty accurate to me, I just wanted to know if there was any way to salvage the one I have. Just sucks because I have no clue in hell why it randomly started acting up. I may or may not even attempt to tinker with it at this point, as it sounds like a lost cause.

I wonder, if there happend to ber no CD in there, why would it just arbitrarily start making a jamming noise? It does it all day every day, stopped for 30 seconds today, then started again...must be the little people living in my CD player.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also to note - im not looking for the CD player to work at all, I just want the god-awful noise to stop.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Also to note - im not looking for the CD player to work at all, I just want the god-awful noise to stop.
That you should be able to make happen. Just gotta take it apart and gut it, while at the same time not messing up anything else. The problem is I'm not 100% sure what all the CD player does. I know it has like 4 plugs going into it and if one isn't connected I know the touchscreen doesn't work. You might want to see if in the schematic if there isn't a power wire to the CD player you could cut. That would probably be the easiest. Either way there are going to be more ways to screw it up than get it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts