Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so yesterday I was pulling out of my driveway, which is slightly slanted downward, and I had a problem. I went to put it into reverse (even though i really don't need to becasue it would roll back anyway, but i did) and I heard the gears grinding, i wasnt even moving and I made sure i had the clutch pushed all the way down and my foot on the brake. So i put it back into neutral and tried it again. The same thing happened. So i gave it one more shot and the shifter got jammed halfway down into the reverse gear. There was no grinding noise this time though. The thing wouldnt wouldnt budge, i tried forceing it into gear and i tried forcing it into neutral, but still there was nothing. I turned the car off and tried it again. The thing wouldnt move. So i turned the car back on and tried it and it still wouldnt move. I kept doing this and eventually i got it to pop into neutral. The car has been driving fine since. Has this happened to anyone? What should i do? :cool:

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
i would definitely describe this to your dealer.

as a matter of fact, last night, i had a problem with reverse as well. my driveway slopes upward, so as i was backing up in reverse, it felt weird and sounded funny. i didn't have any problems shifting though like you did.

my best guess would be that it was a freak accident with the gears and the gear box being in wrong positions.

·
TSX Sold! Hello STi!
595 Posts
Weird... this *just* happened to me on my way to work this morning, but I was backing out on flat pavement in a parking lot. It didn't get stuck in between gear, and the car is driving fine - but I was worried that I did something to the car! If it happens again, I'm definitely going to go my dealer... especially since I haven't even had the car for 2 weeks yet!

·
Registered
256 Posts
All the more reason to get the AT =) Naw I'm playing. I wanted the 6speed too. Too bad I got stuck with this 5AT at the time of purchase. But anyways hope you guys get this matter fixed quickly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
reverse gear doesn't have cone shaped synchrotron...and the reverse gear sure won't be able to lock well if your car is moving backward! so...your problem is quite normall to many cars. And sometimes you will have that problem again.

But DO NOT! force it to put into reverse! What you can try (I tried and worked before) is in the same situation / While your car is fully stoped, put your gear into first gear, and then try to go reverse. Or if only you can feel it...try to rev a little (no more than 1500rpm ) at that time put into reverse.

G

·
Gentlement, I believe the clutch is hydraulic on our TSXs and most likely the master cylinder is bad so your clutch pedal is not really disengaging the clutch. That is my guess. You might also check to see that the clutch reservoir is full. If it has leaked out, you might be able to top it off enough to get it to the dealership. Do not force it into gear though. If it doesn''t work call a tow truck. Sorry to hear that.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Nachob's suggestions are spot on to what I have to say, those with short shifters may be more common to experience this as well. I sometimes get into this jammed reverse concern with my Spoon shifter assembly as well. And the easiest way is to engage the clutch and slowly wiggle it back into neutral before re-engaging any gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts