Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I was driving home yesterday 09/27/2020, something broke inside my transmission and I was able to drive it home which was about 2 miles away (I know I shouldn't have but it was late at night with no traffic.) What I noticed was that my MPH gauge didn't work but the RPM gauge did, 1st gear drives normally, 2nd gear would go into gear and it would not accelerate, 3rd gear accelerates, 4th gear accelerates, 5th gear wouldn't go into gear at any speed and not sure about 6th since I was driving slow. The rumbling would happen only when driving and not when I'm at a stop.

This transmission is equipped with the stock Euro R LSD. The last time I'd changed the fluid was 6 months ago. If someone with a lot of knowledge on K series transmission could point me in the right direction, that would be great. I will attempt to remove, inspect the damage, and rebuild the transmission.

On another note, would anyone know which synchrotech kit I would need for this ASP3 trans? I'm a little stump on this

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not a k-series nor a transmission expert but it sounds like the gear selector fork. Time to take it to a local transmission mechanic or the stealer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a k-series nor a transmission expert but it sounds like the gear selector fork. Time to take it to a local transmission mechanic or the stealer.
Thank you for the reply and to be honest, I can only hope it would be this or a broken vehicle speed sensor. I've been looking to upgrade the shift selector with speedfactory for a while only because it is known to break. I'll take a look sometime this week to see if the VSS or the shift selector is broken. I'll keep you guys updated!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A little update on Synchrotech's kit. After searching the forums and contacting Synchrotech, both came up with the 2006-2010 Civic SI kit for the Accord Euro R ASP3 transmission. I could not find anyone with the Synchrotech kit on the ASP3 transmission and would like to get some clarity.

Upon further research, the 05-06 RSX Type S (NSN4) and the 02-06 Civic Type R (NPQ3) have the same gear ratios as my ASP3 minus the LSD. The 6th gear ratio for the Civic SI is at 0.659 while the ASP3, NSN4, and the NPQ3 are at 0.738. All other ratios are identical for the above mentioned. Here comes the noob questions: would it matter if I went with the Civic SI vs. the NSN4 or the NPQ3? Is/will there be an issue if I chose the incorrect kit?

I do not want to challenge Synchrotech's knowledge and expertise in any way, shape, or form since I do not have the knowledge for any transmission. Just want to clarify things before making a purchase and shed some light for those who are going this route.

Chart is for reference:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A quick update!

Decided to check out the shift selector mechanism due to the fact I was getting help on my buying post. Here's the post: WTB: ASP3 transmission

I'd just purchased speedfactory racing shift selector and their HD detent spring kit since I will be taking a look inside the shifting mechanism and hopefully, I'll find something broken in there. I will start on this sometime next week since I'll be gone for a vacation this Friday.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did a little peek inside my transmission and found broken pieces. Fork and selector still in great condition but I'll need to find a new transmission since I do not want to keep my car on the driveway for too long.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts