Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyone out there who knows about, or has heard about the possibility of converting a 5spd AT 04 tsx into a 6spd manual
 

·
Orangeblood
Joined
·
136 Posts
I have no specific knowledge, but I suspect that it would be such a tall order that one would be better off trading away the 5AT for a 6MT. As noted by a poster elsewhere, the dealer really screwed up the swap of the transmission case on a 5AT that was under the mysterious hold.

With FWD cars, pretty much the entire driveline and engine have to be dropped from the car for transmission work. The margin for error is enormous. That is without knowledge of specific components (flywheel comes to mind) that may differ dramatically between the 5AT and 6MT, not to mention electronics.

We're not talking a 70's Camaro or Mustang here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
I was thinking about my old 89 mustang, the most puzzling thing about that conversion was which type of transmission to install. I dont think it would be a good idea to do a conversion on any modern car.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
5,757 Posts
I am thinking about doing the opposite with my TSX. I want to convert it to a 5 speed auto, I have the 6 speed manual. However, if I want to keep the car longer and have better resale value....I think an auto would be better. I don't want to get another TSX, but instead convert mines to an auto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
You will end up spending more money for the conversion and running into more problems in the long run than the car will deprieciate.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
2004_Acura_TSX said:
I am thinking about doing the opposite with my TSX. I want to convert it to a 5 speed auto, I have the 6 speed manual. However, if I want to keep the car longer and have better resale value....I think an auto would be better. I don't want to get another TSX, but instead convert mines to an auto.
I would think any number of 5AT owners might be glad to swap with you.

Would be interesting to see how many takers you'd have if you made the offer on these sites. I bet you'd have some.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
5,757 Posts
netoperek said:
You will end up spending more money for the conversion and running into more problems in the long run than the car will deprieciate.
In the long run a manual would be harder to sell since not many people around here are interested in it. Plus, I have to deal with a lot of traffic and it becomes a pain the ass shifting up and down in stop n' go. I will do anything to keep my TSX longer than I intend, cuz right now I don't think I would keep this car for 2 more years....unless I change it to an auto.
 

·
TSX of the Month Winner
Joined
·
5,878 Posts
You would also have to switch gauges cause when you switch sportshift or what ever its called show up between the speed and rpm gausges so you would have to switch them which is probably end und switchings to much of the electronics
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
Amoretto said:
is there anyone out there who knows about, or has heard about the possibility of converting a 5spd AT 04 tsx into a 6spd manual
Waste of time and money... it's not just a bolt-on.

With the amount of resources that you would need, you're better off selling your car and buying a 6-speed.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
if the car had been around for a while it might not have been so bad. But these are so new it'd be an insane amount of money. Not worth it.
 

·
Chemical User
Joined
·
19 Posts
Amoretto said:
is there anyone out there who knows about, or has heard about the possibility of converting a 5spd AT 04 tsx into a 6spd manual
Sell your car and buy a manual. It will be heaps cheaper and you get a new car again. If you must, the trans tunnel on the auto is bigger so a manual box will fit. Get a DC5 Integra type R gear box with closer ratios and LSD. This will fit as well.

You will have alot of work ahead of you, I don't know if the auto box has any special sensors hanging out of it but I would say so, then you have to modify your tailshaft as well. You will be very lucky if the holes in the floor line up, which means alot of cutting.

Why did you waste your time with an auto anyways?
 

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
Joined
·
11 Posts
new stick shifts aint what they used to be anyway, too much electronics, however, for those of us holdin on to our 5AT, anyone know of a shift chip out or in the making for the TSX, Dinan and several other companys have chips for BMW's, Voltz, and a couple others that make there Tiptronics shift faster then a manual, defenutly wouldnt mind that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
MemRheins said:
new stick shifts aint what they used to be anyway, too much electronics, however, for those of us holdin on to our 5AT, anyone know of a shift chip out or in the making for the TSX, Dinan and several other companys have chips for BMW's, Voltz, and a couple others that make there Tiptronics shift faster then a manual, defenutly wouldnt mind that


I wouldn't waste your money on something like that. Even though you can "shift faster than a manual", it'll still be slower than a true MT because you're still have a tranny where you lose more power between the engine and the wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
2004_Acura_TSX said:
In the long run a manual would be harder to sell since not many people around here are interested in it. Plus, I have to deal with a lot of traffic and it becomes a pain the ass shifting up and down in stop n' go. I will do anything to keep my TSX longer than I intend, cuz right now I don't think I would keep this car for 2 more years....unless I change it to an auto.
Have you priced a 1993 Acura Legend with a stick? It demands more money now than an auto. There is a dime a dozen Auto Legends, but a handful of manual legends. I am not about to teach you how to drive stick in traffic, but I drove from CT to NJ everyday, and see a handfull of traffic jams. You don't need to shift. Keep it in 1st or 2nd and play with the throttle. One of the beauties of manual is that you have direct connection between the engine and the wheels, you can accelerate and slow down with just the throttle. No need to clutch or shift.

Currently I have a 2002 Civic Si, and when stuck in traffic I can do the slow 5 mph crawl without clutching or shifting, and then briskly accelerate, still in 1st gear and slow down just as dramatically. Now, if you have auto, you have to keep switching from gas to brake because auto will not let you do 5mph crawl down hill without brakes.
 

·
, Administrator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
I did a conversion on my 98 maxima without a problem, its just a matter of time before someone makes instructions for a conversion the value of the car is just too high now for it. Wait till it drops to $12 grand then you will see people doing it.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
8,663 Posts
Ray said:
I did a conversion on my 98 maxima without a problem, its just a matter of time before someone makes instructions for a conversion the value of the car is just too high now for it. Wait till it drops to $12 grand then you will see people doing it.
$12k!!!! :shock:
 

·
, Administrator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
larchmont said:
Wanna tell us about it? Like, cost, plus whatever else? I bet a lot of people would be interested.
It was so long ago, but here is what I remember, all the parts for the conversion cost me $1800 that did not include the ACT performance clutch for about $330 labor was $900. After that was done I drove home and 2 weeks later see a leak from the transmission it was the differential bearing. Went back to the place that put it in he said it would cost another $300-350 to fix the bearing so I just purchased a Fidanza Flywheel ( $340+ ) since the tranny was coming down. Oh I almost forgot when the job was done the first time my car was hesitating to start I had to drive to the nissan dealership to find out what the problem is for $300 more apperantly the connection between the engine and tranny was not good.

After about a year I burned the ACT clutch and put a stock one on for another $600 all around car started costing me too much thats why I had to buy a new car.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top