Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new here on the tsx forum. I am a member over on 1addicts for my 135i so I know how it all works. In fact, I need your help! I recently picked up a 2005 tsx 6 speed in fantastic condition with 97000 miles for 10,500. Or so i thought. I drive off the dealer lot in AZ and 10 miles later strange noises are coming from the engine compartment. I immediately took the car back. I will make a VERY long story short and say that the dealership has agreed to fix whatever major issues they find. When I spoke to the service manager he had said its either clutch or transmission related and that they have to pull it all out to see. If its the tranny, he said they no longer make new transmissions of this kind but that he would find a used lower mileage one. If its the clutch they will replace it as well.. If its something on the tranny they can fix, they will or they'll just replace it. My questions are what would you all do? Would you bring the car back and get refunded? Take the car back after its been repaired? Is this a better option since ill most likely have new parts? What are you thoughts on this matter? Should I purchase the extended 2 1/2 year warranty for 1500, or should I try and get them to include it since the vehicle had a major mechanical failure. At this point I am a little confused. Will the car still be reliable after putting in a 'used' transmission. Also, should the clutch be replaced while the tranny is out anyways? Sorry for the messy post, but you guys are my last hope for some real advice. Any would be appreciated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If they are willing to do a refund do it. If not get them to throw in the warranty for free. Look on the boards and find common issues to watch out for such as leaking power steering, worn boots, bad axles etc.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
As long as the work is done correctly theres nothing wrong with it. Id be hesitant to just slap in a used trans regardless of how low the miles are. If your trans case is in good shape see if they will rebuild it rather than swap it. OR at least open up the used one to make sure nothing is wrong.

GL at least they owned up to it

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
as long as the work is done correctly theres nothing wrong with it. Id be hesitant to just slap in a used trans regardless of how low the miles are. If your trans case is in good shape see if they will rebuild it rather than swap it. Or at least open up the used one to make sure nothing is wrong.

Gl at least they owned up to it
this! ^^

·
Registered
427 Posts
how do they "NOT" make this part anymore? you can order anything from acura dealarship. They are bullshitting the hell out of you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i say make them fix it, get a new transmission with a new flywheel and clutch.

Get them to do it right and have them provide all the parts.
I would also make sure i see the parts being installed too. If your dealer is already telling you that the transmission is discontinued, they are probably willing to do more than just screw you over.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
A brand new trans from Acura is about 2600-3000$. A rebuilt one could be also sourced from them for cheaper, dont let them tell you otherwise.

what kind of noise was this? I've never heard of a trans just shitting the bed randomly.. the clutch would usually fail first

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. Its appreciated during stressful times like this!

I just spoke to the service manager. He said that the transmission itself is in good condition. The clutch on the other hand, had been replaced before with something other than OEM and apparently had been done the wrong way. Service manager said there were screwdriver marks all over the pressure plate and the clutch was worn as well. Who knows what happened in there?!

Anyways, the dealer has agreed to put in a new OEM clutch/pressure plate etc. While they're in there, he is also going to replace all of the bearings inside the transmission, as well as resurface the flywheel (which is apparently still in good shape anyways). So new clutch, and rebuilt tranny! I suppose this makes me feel better, but I will still be seeing if they will throw in the extended warranty, if not Ill just buy it.

I bought this car almost two weeks ago, I have yet to put even 50 miles on her! I am disappointed to say the least but I think it has all worked out. In the end, the dealer will have installed new AC compressor, new tires, new pads and rotors, new door lock actuator, new clutch, resurfaced flywheel and a rebuilt transmission. I picked up the car for $10,500. NOW should feel safe hanging on to her?!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turns out the flywheel was aftermarket and didn't line up with the clutch and transmission so they are replacing it with a new oem flywheel as well. All parts and labor have 1 year warranty. Not sure I want to drop 1500 on a two year extended though. Thoughts?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wouldn't pay for the extended warranty

·
Registered
95 Posts
If its not a factory warranty. Skip.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.