Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
shodan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any of the 3rd gear issues that are addressed in the following TSBs? Im curious as to how this issue can affect the CL, RSX, TL, Accord, & Civic, yet not the TSX?

SYMPTOM
The 6-speed manual transmission grinds when shifting into 3rd gear, pops out of 3rd gear, or is hard to shift into 3rd gear.
NOTE: These symptoms can be intermittent and sometimes more noticeable in colder climates.
PROBABLE CAUSE
The transmission has a faulty 3rd gear synchronizer or 3-4 shift sleeve.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the 3rd gear set.

Acura TSB

Honda TSB

·
shodan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because the TSX has a different transmission.
Fair enough. It just seems odd that the faulty 3rd gear synchronizer or 3-4 shift sleeve spans the entire 6MT product line except for the TSX (3rd Gear Set P/N 23444-PZF-316).

3rd Gear Set (RSX):
P/N 23444-PNS-316
3rd Gear Set (2004–08 TL, 2003 3.2CL):
P/N 23444-RDE-315
3rd Gear Set (2006–08 Civic Si):
P/N 23444-PNS-316
3rd Gear Set (2003–08 Accord V6):
P/N 23444-RDE-315

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
If your car is still under warranty you better hurry and take it to the dealership and address the issue to them. My 2-3-4 gears went and I got a new transmission, but this problem was my own fault.

·
Who doesn't love a Honda!
249 Posts
Yeah get it fixed under warranty if you still have one. My Gf just took her 2007 Civic Si in to have them check it out. Took them a few days, but they fixed it with no charge, and the car shifts beautifully now.

·
Special ''K''
47 Posts
I don't think the OP is having the probelm, he is just curious. On another note, I hate the there is so much insecurity about taking the car to the dealer and getting it fixed. I feel like they **** up on purpose or rush because they are not getting paid well for the job.
warranty should be cover by Honda motor co.

so the dealer shouldn't even have to bother with
payment issue..since well, honda covers it all!

·
Special ''K''
47 Posts
lol. It would be nice if the world worked like the way you think.
would it..

no seriously, i thought.. and thats because i never had warranty on cars, that dealers, gets their time paid by Honda that is covering
that warranty?

if not..then i'd be happy if you could explain!

·
Aloha Army
11,711 Posts
I don't think the OP is having the probelm, he is just curious. On another note, I hate the there is so much insecurity about taking the car to the dealer and getting it fixed. I feel like they **** up on purpose or rush because they are not getting paid well for the job.
The mechanics don't get paid much. I was shocked to learn that the money mostly goes to the dealership. Thats why dealership mechanics really don't care.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The mechanics don't get paid much. I was shocked to learn that the money mostly goes to the dealership. Thats why dealership mechanics really don't care.
So if the mechanics were doing +70k/year, they would care more?
I don't think so.

It's either you love what your doing or not.

If your passionate enough at what your doing, money won't matter.
If we're following your philosophy, they would never earn enough to care enough.

I'm a machinist in a Unviversity. I don't earn that much and less then what I was making but, the projects that I work on is very different and there is so much that I gain, beside money wise, as a machinist that make's me like my job.

Usually, the dealer pays the part and they have to ask for a reimbursement at Honda.
If there's a servcie bulletin, there is no problem, but if they change something that just broke...they will have to fight to get their money.

I know that here, Honda Canada are really hard with them.

Now, just imagine when your coming for a warranty issue and your are not even coming at their garage for regular maintenance.

·
Aloha Army
11,711 Posts
So if the mechanics were doing +70k/year, they would care more?
I don't think so.

It's either you love what your doing or not.

If your passionate enough at what your doing, money won't matter.
If we're following your philosophy, they would never earn enough to care enough.

I'm a machinist in a Unviversity. I don't earn that much and less then what I was making but, the projects that I work on is very different and there is so much that I gain, beside money wise, as a machinist that make's me like my job.

Usually, the dealer pays the part and they have to ask for a reimbursement at Honda.
If there's a servcie bulletin, there is no problem, but if they change something that just broke...they will have to fight to get their money.

I know that here, Honda Canada are really hard with them.

Now, just imagine when your coming for a warranty issue and your are not even coming at their garage for regular maintenance.
The logic may be flawed but it is what it is. I'm not saying all mechanics just care about the money. But lets face it. Dealership mechanics are the worse. Even they told me not to bring in my car for service. I hear a lot of horror stories from them also. Whether its wrong or not. Most of them just go there to do the job and go home.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is it better at Sears, Firestone?
To name a few.

So a warranty is pretty useless, then.

I have to go see them for the "toc" while braking and the moving driver's seat.

Btw, they already forgot to "sherlock" the number on one wheel, and at the same time that was done, they ran my car into a ciment pillar in the parking lot.
Results?
A new fender and a new headlight.

I am very confident leaving my car there...especially, when I read here.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The guys at Sears and Firestone flunked into that job and the guy who is runing the shop is responsible for profit, nothing else(ie cutting corners are us). The dealers are a step up from that. At least the techs there get some training on the specific cars involved. Best yet is a small private shop where the idea is to keep customers coming back. Too bad the car manufactureres are trying freeze them out buy charging big bucks for all the proprietary OBDII codes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
"Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work."

does it mean it could possibly be free? or they just have to get authorization for working on a car after the warranty has expired?

·
Registered
273 Posts
That passage means that they MAY offer to pay part of the cost, usually somewhere between 50% and 100% (closer to 50%). But, you have to realize that their job is maximizing Honda's and the dealers profit, same as everbody else at the dealer. So why would they do that. Two reasons: 1; they think it may induce you to buy another Acura in the future or 2; It may keep you from calling either the lemon law lawyer or the Federal safety troops which could cost them big bucks. Good luck.

·
Registered
2004 Acura tsx (manual)
6 Posts
If your car is still under warranty you better hurry and take it to the dealership and address the issue to them. My 2-3-4 gears went and I got a new transmission, but this problem was my own fault.
What did you do that made it do that? I'm asking cause my car is doing the same thing but 1-3 and grinding 4

1 - 20 of 20 Posts