Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to have either a taller 6th gear, or have my final gearing taller overall.

Has anyone changed their gearing? How time consuming would this be, and do you know of any parts I could use for the swap?

3000 RPM at 70MPH is just excessive, and I would like to get better MPG on the highway. The auto trans has taller gearing, so might as well do it on my 6mt.

I'm also contemplating a turbo, but it seems not many have done it on the 1st gen for some reason (no idea what that reason is).

·
Registered
976 Posts
So you want a taller 6th gear because of poor gas mileage but want a turbo kit as well?.. Gas mileage and Turbo dont work too well with one another. You have to pick one. And as for gearing, the TSX might feel a tad bit slower with longer gearing. Thats the reason why the 6speed is faster than the Auto. So why not just trade in your 6speed for an Auto? If you'd rather do gearing try going with a 4.3 final drive. I wouldnt go any lower than that plus it'll work well with a Turbo setup.

·
Triple Platinum Member
598 Posts
+1

Final drive is only option - the tsx already has the tallest 6th gear offered of anything where parts are interchangeable...

·
Registered
976 Posts
if youre getting a turbo, downgrade to a 5 speed RSX base tranny, if youre not going turbo, stick to the TSX 6spd
That wont be a direct bolt up without modifications.. so the simpler way would be to go with a 4.3 final drive or lower if your going turbo and that depends on boost levels/HP your trying to achieve.

·
Registered
976 Posts
where would a person get the 4.3 final gear ? I am new to this... so aftermarket or acura??
from the 02-04 Acura RSX type-S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts