Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm soon going to be replacing my clutch and flywheel with an RSX Type-S flywheel and Exedy OEM replacement clutch. Also thinking about going with an OEM Honda LSD and possibly new 6th gear. I few questions for those that have done such swaps:

1 - From what year Civic Si do I source the LSD?

2 - Although I don't want to mess with ratios of gears 1-5, is the Civic Si's 6th gear condusive to better gas mileage on the highway? I do mostly highway driving at 80mph, so this may be beneficial.

3 - If the Si's 6th gear would be condusive to better gas mileage, can I only swap the 6th gear, or do all gears need to be swapped?

4 - from what year Si do I source the 6th gear?

5 - How will swapping the 6th gear affect the speedometer accuracy?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Haven't seen you around before, so welcome to the club :thumbsup:

I'll answer your questions straight forward for you, to avoid confusion.

1 - Any 06+ Civic Si Sedan or Coupe, they are identical. You could use the LSD from any LSD-equipped K-series including the Euro-R, DC5 ITR, CTR, etc.

2 - The 06-11 Civic Si 6th the exact same gear as the TSX's. The 12+ Si has a slightly taller 6th, though not worth investing in.

04-08 TSX 6th: 0.659
06-11 Si 6th: 0.659
12 Si+ 6th: 0.647

3 - Covered above

4 - Covered above

5 - Covered above

·
Registered
710 Posts
Has Hondata updated the Flashpro in order to fix the speedo with such gearbox mods?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Has Hondata updated the Flashpro in order to fix the speedo with such gearbox mods?
No, because it seems to be limited only to CL9's that came with 4.3 final drives (Non-USDM) which have changed to a 4.7/5.06 FD. The problem seems to be stemming from the VSA's correlation tables, i.e: wheel speed VS trans speed VS engine RPM. The USDM CL9's can use the SGI-5 for simple trans speed sensor output re-calibration, without going too far out of spec with the other sensors' readings. A 4.3 FD jumping to a 4.7+, from what I've seen, seems to be outside the limit. All of this is assuming that nobody has actually used the SGI-5 without K-pro changes and is ONLY using K-pro.

If I had access to an EDM Accord, I'm almost positive I could make the correct changes needed to fix this...but I'm across the pond :p

Dinoc, can you confirm that someone with an EDM CL9 has installed an SGI-5 after changing to a 4.7 FD? I've seen members ask about it, but am unsure if any of you have actually tried it (WITHOUT making K-pro gear table changes).

hope this helps a bit...
or PM adamlee he knows his sh*t LOL
LOL Thanks :dr:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Adam,
My CL9 is an EDM type and I've changed the FD to a 4.7 and I'm using SGI-5 unit to correct the speedo.
While using the SGI-5 unit I've encountered a few issues:
- while trying to correct the speed as closed to factory settings I've noticed the cruise control was not engaging anymore
- after many testings I've noticed if I will set the SGI-5 not so accurate, the cruise control will engage
- so I've managed to set it a little less accurate than factory settings (i.e factory settings: 100 km/h on dashboard is 98km/h on GPS, with SGI-5 I have like 94-95 km/h on GPS)
- now the CC will engage but every time I start the car it takes like 1 or 2 minutes to drive in order to be able to engage the CC, in the first 1 or 2 minutes of driving the CC will not engage, don't know why
- and from time to time it throws me a check engine, an error related to gearing, not sure why - maybe the wires are moving into that SGI-5 unit or I don't know

How exactly do you think this can be fix safely?

I wanted to order the Hondata Flashpro and ECU and I've thought by having TSX ECU all my speedo issues will be solved without using the SGI-5 unit anymore ?
But while re-reading your post about VSA tables, VSS sensor and others I'm not sure anymore ...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hmmm definitely wasn't expecting that sort of outcome. The TSX ECU may help, but I'm not entirely sure. I would suspect that it would, however.

Having to drive around before cruise works....so odd.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adamlee05... thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll just stick to the clutch/flywheel/LSD as I don't want to deal with the speedo issues.

As far as installation of the LSD... is it a staright forward drop-in installation? I remember reading somewhere that it needs to be shimmed to a certain spec? Please advise, as I'd rather not run into any surprises during the install. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.