Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im getting the hand of manual in the tsx but for some reason after I balance the clutch from 1st gear and let it go as I hit more gas (driving aggressively) the car gets a wobbly effect... not a harsh jerking feeling but a wobbly feeling. The only way it seems i can get away from this is riding the clutch in engagement point as i add more gas and hit around 3500 rpm then i can release it and im fine. Or I can just shift instantly to 2nd once the car is moving a little and its smooth and accelerate from 2nd gear.

Basically im doing this just to try to keep up with traffic on the street. Any suggestions. Or is it i just havnt gotten the "feel" for manual yet since im still pretty new. The other gears are fine.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
One of the reasons you may be having this problem is that since your relatively new to the manual transmission you may be letting the clutch out to early and not giving enough gas . I am also relatively new to driving stick and I have tried what you are doing on my tsx and I also get a wobble feeling. Just yesterday for the first time I got a smooth transition while balancing the clutch and I noticed I gave it more gas than before and I let the clutch out a little bit slower. Try getting to know the clutch and gas intervals really good and just practice it. Good Luck. Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blueberry said:
One of the reasons you may be having this problem is that since your relatively new to the manual transmission you may be letting the clutch out to early and not giving enough gas . I am also relatively new to driving stick and I have tried what you are doing on my tsx and I also get a wobble feeling. Just yesterday for the first time I got a smooth transition while balancing the clutch and I noticed I gave it more gas than before and I let the clutch out a little bit slower. Try getting to know the clutch and gas intervals really good and just practice it. Good Luck. Hope this helps!!!
I do that as well to get a smooth shift but im wondering if its bad to stay on the clutch longer since isnt it "riding the clutch" and would wear it out quickly?

·
TSX Sold! Hello STi!
595 Posts
Judging by your post, you're not "riding" the clutch... When people refer to "riding" the clutch, they refer to drivers that keep their foot on the clutch while they drive (not necessarily fully engaging it, but having it depressed to some degree). When the clutch is fully depressed or fully released, there is minimal wear being done to your car. In your case, I'm assuming you're only keeping your foot on the clutch a little bit longer as you're getting your car moving from a stop.

As Blueberry suggested, let the clutch out a little slower, and give it a little more gas. As you get more used to the friction point of the TSX's clutch, the amount of time you'll spend "letting it out" will decrease. As cliche as it sounds, it becomes second nature as you spend more and more time in the vehicle as your feet become more comfortable. Since you're still relatively new to a manual, I can tell you're a little hesitant, but no worries man... your car will be fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
justsomeboi said:
Well im getting the hand of manual in the tsx but for some reason after I balance the clutch from 1st gear and let it go as I hit more gas (driving aggressively) the car gets a wobbly effect... not a harsh jerking feeling but a wobbly feeling. The only way it seems i can get away from this is riding the clutch in engagement point as i add more gas and hit around 3500 rpm then i can release it and im fine. Or I can just shift instantly to 2nd once the car is moving a little and its smooth and accelerate from 2nd gear.

Basically im doing this just to try to keep up with traffic on the street. Any suggestions. Or is it i just havnt gotten the "feel" for manual yet since im still pretty new. The other gears are fine.

Any suggestions?
Patience young padowan. Reach out with your feelings. Let go.

And, if that doesn't work, try accelerating a little harder. You probably just need more practice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have driven stick shift now for 27 years so I should be able to help you.
Yes the problem is letting the clutch out too quick without enough revs.
Try bringing the revs to about 2500, let the clutch out slowly. As the clutch starts to bite, increase the gas pedal as you continue to let up on the clutch.
With time you won't even think about the specific revs. It's just going to happen naturally. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts