Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a week ago I started getting a really loud knocking noise from the transmission that was rotational. sounded terrible but had no engagement issues at all. make a long story short I pulled the trans to find the ring gear missing about 6 teeth, the diff had some play and the gear on the end of the output shaft was all chewed up. Apparently finding a used TSX 6sp trans is near impossible!! so I found a really good deal on an 05 RSX type S trans and snagged it. I am putting this all together on Monday
So here's the question:
I want to make sure that while I have it all apart I use the best setup possible. I know the 1st gears are the same, other than that which gears out of which trans should I use for the best all around setup. ??
I will obviously be using the ring gear and diff (non LSD) from the rsx trans. other than that I'm thinking 1st doesn't matter, 6th from the Tsx (for gas mileage), and then I'm not sure???
Quick background on my driving, I am pretty hard on the car, but not abusive! I definitely enjoy hard cornering, and high revving! only have cold air and no plans of any other mods, car is an A-spec. I'm using comp clutch 11.5 flywheel and oem exedy replacement clutch. would have loved an Lsd but money is already on the tight side!

·
Bardi
1,346 Posts
Great threads to help you out
Transmission Gear Ratio Table - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum.
DIY: TSX/Euro R Accord 6-speed Guts Into Usable Casing - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Basically if you swap over to Z1 RSX-S gears or gears you should be good to go. There are differences in needle bearings and syncro design between our cars so keep that in mind. If you stick with all the parts in order for gears 2-5 from the same car you should be good to go. There are more threads on the topic from other sites with step by step pics.

If it was me I would just swap over 2-4 gears. 5th gear for me to swap over is not a deal breaker for the driving I do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the threads they have been very helpful. so I think I am going to take the complete 2-5 from the rsx.

The input and output shaft bearings are all specific to each trans correct?????

Also are all the tsx trans cases held on by reverse thread bolts?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Great threads to help you out
Transmission Gear Ratio Table - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum.
DIY: TSX/Euro R Accord 6-speed Guts Into Usable Casing - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Basically if you swap over to Z1 RSX-S gears or gears you should be good to go. There are differences in needle bearings and syncro design between our cars so keep that in mind. If you stick with all the parts in order for gears 2-5 from the same car you should be good to go. There are more threads on the topic from other sites with step by step pics.

If it was me I would just swap over 2-4 gears. 5th gear for me to swap over is not a deal breaker for the driving I do.
If I were to do it all over again I'd go with 3-5 gears.. currently i have 2-5 gears. But I also have a 5.0 final

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bearings at the end of the shafts?

Yes reverse thread. Do you have a repair manual? It sis must for this job!
Yes the bearings at the ends. they are pressed in to the case. I actually work for Honda, i"m a service advisor. so I have access to pretty much everything. Most bearings have the same part # but it looks like the needle bearing on the end of the countershaft has a different part # but they are the exact same size. the one for the RSX has a plastic sleeve.
so just to clarify I am using the both shafts from the Rsx trans and just swapping the sixth gear from the Tsx trans on to that. then installing in the TSX case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm also planning on transferring SI gears into my TSX case. I would like to know if you're going to be using those bearings from the RSX so I should do the same (Si).
so far I have used all bearings from the RSX. But as of right now it is not installed in car. everything seems to work fine. I swapped the sixth gear from counter shaft and mainshaft. all needle bearings and collars have same part number for the sixth gear. so when done I have RSX 1-5 and TSX 6th. RSX ring and diff.
I have not seen the parts list from the SI so i can not tell you that. I know I also have to use the tsx shift forks. the speed sensors are the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so just quick update! I know some people allready have this set up and I'm not sure if they posted there impressions.
So for average daily driver I dont know that I would recommend this set up. The car definitly accelerates faster. Feels less powerfull though. rev's too fast Imo. haven't broken in the clutch yet so haven't got to really wind through the gears. But it requires a lot of shifting. Happy I switched the TSX 6th. I do have to admit I love 5th gear, however I wish there was a gear between 5th and 6th!
Also Yes the speedo is off. about 3mph at 25mph and about 9mph high at 90mph. I have a custom indash pioner nav that reads speed pretty accurate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.